You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2016 10:38 am  #1

Your Top Ten Laker Lures...

Well since we are all sitting here, stewing in our own ice out frustration juices, I thought we could have some fun by posting some of our favourite lures for spring lakers in Algonquin. To make it interesting, I thought we limit it to ten lures only. This forces us to make decisions and pick our favourites, knowing we are leaving out some tried and true lures that we like. To be specific, this is a spring lake trout only list, and while brookies obviously hit laker lures, you can usually up your brookie chances with lures more specifically for them. Anyway, I will get things started with my list. This is hard, because I always have a few new lures packed and some oldies that I bring out every few years (like jointed raps, flatfish, or newer lures like shadow raps, and Xraps), but I'm going with these. Love to see what others would limit themslevs to, if you can only pick ten.

Moonman.

My List of Ten Spring Algonquin Laker Lures

Rapala f11 perch
Rapala f13 natural (silver sides dark back)
Rapala Husky Jerk #12 Tennessee Shad (orange belly, gold sides, dark back)
Mooselook spoon junior size, almond with red dots
Mooselook Spoon junior size, gold
Little cleo 3" size, chartreuse and silver
Lucky Strike Gator Spoon, 2.5" size, gold with red/black markings (hard to find)
Rapala Countdown , CD9 natural
Hand tied bucktail jig 1/2 oz, in white belly, orange middle and green back
Williams Wobbler 3" silver

4/13/2016 11:32 am  #2

Re: Your Top Ten Laker Lures...

I love these style of threads. I had to look up some lure names.

Here goes:
Williams Wablers (4) - Silver/Blue, Red/Silver, Hammered silver & hammered gold
Little Cleo (3) - silver/blue, metallic perch, firetiger
Rapala - F11 (dark back, white belly)
Mepps (2) - Black fury, Silver

I've never ventured far from spoons because they work but I feel like I should get more jerkbaits or something.

4/13/2016 1:34 pm  #3

for specks, lucky strike "banshee "spoons, wild curves on these . the spoon looks like a phoebe spoon, hard to find . i get them at the "lucky strike" factory in peterborough
for lakers, e.g.b. spoons,
 recently ,by best luck for lakers has been with a white streamer fly with some blue bling in it, any size works!
 all are barbless. i hope this helps

4/13/2016 2:23 pm  #4

Hey Swede thanks for your input but to be clear, Iwas not looking for ideas for trout lures for me personally. I have tons of lures and always do well. Its more of a fun thing, due to the restriction to ten lures only.  In reality most of us take way more than ten lures, Often a lot of the lures we take are not needed, in that we catch plenty on the first one we tie on, but if you only could take ten, it may change your lure calculus a bit and its interesting what people might pick in that case. I actually believe most anything will work 95% of the time in spring, if there are fish in the lake you are on. Its only when they are neutral/negative that it becomes a bit more of a challenge.

Cheers,

Moonman.

4/13/2016 2:25 pm  #5

For Laker, EGB's in springs and then Williams Wablers on lead core or a bottom bouncer as the weather warms up. Here's my full list: http://www.loonislandoutdoors.com/Fishing/FavouriteTroutLures.php

4/13/2016 3:32 pm  #6

1. Cotton Cordell Big O in white
2. Cotton Cordell Big O in white
3. Cotton Cordell Big O in white

10. Any old spoon because I lost all my Big O's

4/14/2016 8:18 am  #7

MartinG wrote:

1. Cotton Cordell Big O in white
2. Cotton Cordell Big O in white
3. Cotton Cordell Big O in white

10. Any old spoon because I lost all my Big O's

all white with the black spot on top?  or the ones with the white lower part and some colour on top?

4/14/2016 7:20 pm  #8

Blue/Silver original rapalaBlue/Silver jointed rapalaBlue/Silver Little CleoBlue/Silver Williams These are my go to and everything else is random but I'm assuming whatever it is it's blue/silver, maby a mental famillarity thing but I'm convinced for trout it's the best. I did promise myself this year I'll use the jigs I lug in every year.

4/14/2016 7:59 pm  #9

Hey PP (heh heh). The whiter the better! Except when they're on sale in packs of 3 ( I'm no Rockefeller). Then I will take coloured ones. Which also conveniently gives me an excuse for why I'm not catching any fish.

4/18/2016 5:18 am  #10

My spring fishing has been limited to 1 trip so I don't have 10 lures,  but I had pretty good luck with

Johnson Min-o-Spin firetiger
Mepps Aglia 4

I notice lots of crankbaits and jerksbaits on these lists maybe i'll have to try a few this year, I've always had decent luck with spinner type lures I've just never gone away from them for Trout

5/01/2016 6:27 pm  #11

swedish pimple wrote:

for specks, lucky strike "banshee "spoons, wild curves on these . the spoon looks like a phoebe spoon, hard to find . i get them at the "lucky strike" factory in peterborough
for lakers, e.g.b. spoons,
 recently ,by best luck for lakers has been with a white streamer fly with some blue bling in it, any size works!
 all are barbless. i hope this helps

Swede, are you trolling the streamers? If so, how are you rigging them with weight?
Thanks

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.