You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2016 1:57 pm  #18

Re: Are predictions for ice-out starting yet?

March 13th!

3/12/2016 2:32 pm  #19

Gidday everyone

Haven't been on much lately....busy with hockey...but that is starting to wind down!

I looked at the sat images for the first time this yr a few minutes ago!

I am thinking early April...for what its worth...don't want it too early...I have 2 May speck trips booked!

3/12/2016 2:46 pm  #20

Kiosk Lake Today March 12.

Was +11 and sunny when I was just there this early afternoon. The snow on the road deteriorated a very noticable amount during my 1.5 hour hike. Access to the lake from shore is impossible in some spots now on foot.

Last edited by token (3/12/2016 2:48 pm)

3/12/2016 2:49 pm  #21

3/13/2016 6:45 pm  #22

March 14th!

3/14/2016 8:19 am  #23

March 25th!

3/14/2016 11:46 am  #24

The sunny weather on the weekend provided the opportunity to view Modis Satellite imagery from http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/.   On the Saturday photo it looked like parts of Lake Simcoe and Rice Lake were open.  Those lakes were obscured by cloud on Sunday.  The Sunday photo showed some evidence of lakes close to the St. Lawrence River starting to open and the snow seems to be gone from areas close to the St. Lawrence river and Lake Ontario.   Here in Ottawa we still have a good amount of snow on the ground.  With cloud cover expected all week and colder temperatures forecast for next week, I think it is going to be a few more weeks before ice out in Algonquin.

3/14/2016 5:27 pm  #25

Maarrch 15th?

3/14/2016 7:12 pm  #26

MartinG wrote:

Maarrch 15th?

I see your strategy. Keep moving it ahead as we progress through March.  I still say April 1

3/15/2016 9:00 am  #27

Forecast has definitely turned colder with Algonquin having a forecast low of -15 for Friday night now. Overall that's good news as the ice will definitely hold out a bit longer. It blows my prediction out of the water but oh well. 

3/15/2016 9:36 am  #28

RobW wrote:

Forecast has definitely turned colder with Algonquin having a forecast low of -15 for Friday night now. Overall that's good news as the ice will definitely hold out a bit longer. It blows my prediction out of the water but oh well. 

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe I should have asked, "when do you wish the ice to go out?"  I say April 15th.

3/15/2016 10:08 am  #29

Well in that case ...

May 6th would be good as I won't be up for a spring trip until the 12th or so. That would give the water a few days to warm up so that the fish are biting. :-)

3/21/2016 8:45 am  #30

Here are a couple of ice thickness reports from park explorers this weekend: Joe Lake, near the island, 15", measured with a calibrated ski pole through a natural drain hole. Smoke Lake, down in West Bay, 20" measured by cottagers drilling with an auger. Slush and water layers from the previous week have locked up in the cold snap and the forecast is calling for overnight lows well below freezing for the next seven days. There is snow in the forecast, which will create a nice reflective surface. Snow in the bush is firm enough to walk on without snowshoes. Sorry to burst the bubble of the early April predictions but that is not going to happen.

3/21/2016 9:02 am  #31

We were up to the cottage over the weekend. On Friday there was barely 4" of good ice and it was starting to candle in some sections. By Saturday morning all the slush and water on top of the ice had frozen up and even the holes we had drilled every 40' or so on our way out to the island had at least a couple of inches of clear ice. We didn't drill any new holes on Sunday but I'm estimating we were back up to 8"-10" of pretty good ice. 

Looking at the forecast for Bancroft, I expect we will be staying out on the island for the Easter weekend. 

3/21/2016 9:27 am  #32

Complete reversal. Looking like mid April now.

3/21/2016 12:46 pm  #33

Any recent pictures of the ice conditions?

3/21/2016 2:26 pm  #34

Here is one from Kiosk-  taken Sunday afternoon March 21st, 2016.  the ice is starting to recede...

Last edited by PhillyPhilster (3/21/2016 2:28 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.