You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2016 2:23 pm  #18

Re: First Aid Kits

I'm a physician in London ;)  I do internal medicine, not emerg, but it does help.

M

3/05/2016 2:41 pm  #19

You would be handy to have on a trip ;)
Don't you need a prescription to get an Epipen?

3/05/2016 5:13 pm  #20

I burned my hand cooking lunch on the Western Uplands trail. I was happy to have packed the Second Skin burn dressings, and the Polysporin with lidocaine in it calmed the pain enough that I could sleep that night. Recommended.

The hard part was getting out and applying all this with one hand while I sat on the shore with my hand in the lake and the other hand unpacking. Since then I pack everything with one hand in mind. FAK goes in top pouch of pack, openable with my teeth if need be.

3/06/2016 9:47 am  #21

Good topic!

Marko_Mrko wrote:

Hi all,
Couple of thoughts on the above: 

1. Tensor bandage: I find it's not very useful for treating an ankle sprain - it's flexible so it only gives mild support and if you do it too tight, it cuts off circulation. Duct tape works well for support, along with a thick sock and laced-up shoe. 

True, Marco, it doesn't give a lot of support but does help keep the swelling down which I find eases the discomfort. Also, I find it helps distribute the pressure of the boot around the ankle better allowing for a more snug, supportive fit.

I never thought of using duct tape - that seems so obvious! Would you apply it in the same manner as a tensor bandage? I suspect, as with a tensor wrap, it would have to be removed once settled in for the night.

Marko_Mrko wrote:

@keg: Vet wrap - great idea! Lighter than tensor bandage, and would keep a dressing or splint in place. I'm totally asking the vet for one, and keeping it in the kit. 

I've never heard of this but I googled it and it seems to be the same as a self-adhering tensor bandage, which is what I carry. Or is it different?

Dave

3/06/2016 9:56 am  #22

Good Stuff Marko

Same question as Martin how would I go about getting an epi pen ?

And re: the tourniquet, reco on what to use for the band you would  twist. . Belt, Parracord ? Could you use one of the nitrile gloves on an arm?

Shawn

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

3/06/2016 1:22 pm  #23

Re: Epi pen
It's by prescription, and your insurance covers it. Ask your family doctor for a prescription, I've been getting mine for the last 10 years (and none of my kids have allergies). 

Re: Vet wrap 
It's really thin, unlike the regular ACE bandage, and it's self-adhering. Again, I don't think it would get you much support unless you wrapped it really tight, but then there's the issue of cutting off blood flow. 

Re: Duct tape ankle
The duct tape would be taped the same as regular athletic tape for ankles. It's a bit different than tensor bandage because it gives more support and does not stretch. So you can't just do a figure-8 around the ankle, that would cut off blood supply and wouldn't give you great mobility or support. There are videos on ankle wrapping, but basically even if you do three strips of stirrups and secure at the top, this is gonna give you support. 

I sprained my ankle on a solo last year, taped it and Advil'd (about 800mg and some Tylenol) - took the 2700m portage out of the park. It was doable... I was actually worried about the logistics of getting out of the park. Taking off the tape is a bit of a pain because of leg hair though (and I have the Gorilla duct tape - sticky!) The heartburn from the Advil was also unpleasant for the next couple of days. 

Re: Tourniquet
These are for extreme cases - eg. if a limb has been traumatically amputated. Even for an arterial bleeder (i.e. a squirter), pressure should make the bleeding stop (15-30 minutes of pressure on the wound, directly to the artery) - and then just careful with movement or it will squirt again. But if it keeps bleeding heavily, (and you're worried about the person bleeding out - i.e. 1000+mL of blood) then tourniquet. i.e. you're in a literal bloodbath at this point. A belt is best - you need something thick to stop blood flow to the limb. Paracord would be too thin, and a glove would definitely not give enough pressure. Belt. And hopefully the chopper is on the way, or everyone is in deep doodoo (without bloodflow the leg will start to die off). 

I think the issue of the traumatic cuts is the reason some people dislike axes so much (a cut to the groin could kill as you wouldn't be able to tourniquet above the bleeder). But there's risk with driving up the 400 as well... 

Cheers
M

3/07/2016 10:21 am  #24

Great suggestions here. We pack our own first aid kit because we find we can spend less and have it be less weight. One thing we do that I think is important: we don't bring any tools we don't know how to use. E.g. Lots of first aid kits have a needle and thread. But, I am never going to be able to stitch someone up so we only bring butterfly bandages and superglue (superglue is probably our most often used first aid item on the trail and at home). 

We have basic first aid training but haven't invested in the Wilderness version. I would feel better if I had it but it's too expensive for me to justify. Also, we are not extreme trippers. We take things slow and don't try anything too crazy. 

3/08/2016 3:51 pm  #25

I wanted to take a moment to thank everybody for their responses.  There is a LOT of food for thought here.  I've identified a few new things I'd like to carry in the first aid kit as a result, as I'm sure many people have in reading these posts. 

And let's hope everybody comes back home without having to open the first aid kit!

3/09/2016 8:42 pm  #26

Marko_Mrko wrote:

@keg: Vet wrap - great idea! Lighter than tensor bandage, and would keep a dressing or splint in place. I'm totally asking the vet for one, and keeping it in the kit. 

If you can't get a donation you can order it pretty easy.  I picked up a half dozen rolls in assorted colours.

Algonquintripper wrote:

Marko_Mrko wrote:

I've never heard of this but I googled it and it seems to be the same as a self-adhering tensor bandage, which is what I carry. Or is it different?

The stuff I have is branded "SensiWrap.  It's a lot thinner than a tensor, somewhere between a tensor and gauze wrap.  It won't give much support for injuries but still useful.

Last edited by keg (3/09/2016 8:46 pm)

6/28/2017 7:54 am  #27

Awesome topic, really appreciate everyone comments.  It is for sure helping me on making my first aid kit as my trip is coming soon. 
Thanks Again
Sebastien

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.