You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2023 7:40 am  #1

Poll question stemming from the Campsite inventory discussion.

This question really sums up the discussion for me.
I would clearly choose #1. and it would take about 2 mins for me to give up the convenience of online reservations, campsite and fishing info to get it. Very interested to see where the majority is though.

Last edited by ShawnD (5/04/2023 7:58 am)

Where would you choose to trip?

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/04/2023 4:09 pm  #2

Re: Poll question stemming from the Campsite inventory discussion.

Does anyone honestly believe the interior is better today, or will be better in 2040? Really?

5/04/2023 5:08 pm  #3

I like the weight  of my canoe much more than what  was used in 1955.

5/04/2023 6:28 pm  #4

keg wrote:

Carrying the weight would sure be rewarding...

5/04/2023 6:49 pm  #5

keg wrote:

I started with a Grumman; they were available in 1955.

Although some aspects of the park have deteriorated over time, I believe some have actually improved.  In particular I am thinking of the separation of the logging activities from the recreational activities.  Can you imagine canoeing the Petawawa River coincident with a log drive?

5/05/2023 9:45 am  #6

@Martin - what does "better" mean?  Better forests?  Better garbage dumps?  Better maps?  Better access?  Better fishing?  Better camping?  Better cottages?  Better outfitters?  Better artists?

As I posted in the previous topic...these matters are almost entirely subjective and quite biased based upon the perspective of the single poster and their individual experience and preferences.  

I chose 2040 - first in the hopes that at age 73 I will be able to visit the interior (fingers crossed!), secondly to observe with greater perspective and understanding the continued preservation and management efforts of the provincial governing bodies.  If I can trip in AP in 2040, that would mean I would have journeyed in the park over a 63 year span...that would be roughly a lifetime of experience, appreciation and an ever-developing understanding.  

One bit of 'developed understanding' I have achieved is to never bring a 17' Michicraft Aluminum canoe into the park again...so please don't interpret this as a 'holier than thou' attitude. ;-)

5/05/2023 10:32 am  #7

Its a trick question Shawn   "Algonquin Park as you envision it in 2040" means that I could envision it as it was was in 1955. 

Keg - canoe weight comment is a good one. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.