You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2023 4:17 pm  #1

White Partridge to Barron lake - Worth it?

Just throwing around some ideas for longer trips this summer.  One idea is to start at Galeairy and end up at Squirrel rapids but was wondering whether the stretch from White Partridge to Barron is worth the effort or whether to do a loop out  of Archay as a different  trip.

No problem with the portage distances but wondered whether  Loonskin or North Branch are worth a night.

Trip idea would be early/mid august, something like Galeairy --> Burntroot --> Cedar --> Lavieille --> White Partridge --> Squirrel Rapids; Probably around 2 weeks.  Was originally thinking a big west to east but this shuttle would be much  shorter.

1/30/2023 4:23 pm  #2

Re: White Partridge to Barron lake - Worth it?

I did this section, but in the reverse direction.
We camped on Loonskin.. but the next day when we saw North Branch we were both buzzkilled that we decided to stay on Loonskin. It wasn't terrible, just not a nice as North Branch. Also, I refer to Loonskin as Leechskin.. I'll let you figure out why.
Barron Lake has a couple nice sites too. As did White Partridge.

The trip we did was 10 nights, Squirrel Raps to McManus, via White Partridge Creek & a stopover/day off at Eustache. 10/10 would do the entire route again.

1/30/2023 4:33 pm  #3

Thanks

I was on WP last summer before struggling down the WP creek.  I'd definately include it as a lake worth the effort.  Sort of has the feel of an access lake but next to no one on it.

Last edited by keg (1/30/2023 4:35 pm)

1/30/2023 4:53 pm  #4

keg wrote:

Thanks

I was on WP last summer before struggling down the WP creek.  I'd definately include it as a lake worth the effort.  Sort of has the feel of an access lake but next to no one on it.

We were the only ones on the lake (WP) at the time, and it definitely had that remote feeling to it (as did Loonskin)

1/30/2023 6:54 pm  #5

I know a couple of people who would peg North Branch as one of their favourite lakes in the park.

5/17/2023 1:10 am  #6

keg wrote:

Thanks

You made it through WPC last summer? I thought to myself it mustt have been years since someone was down here. I just got back from a Shall Lake access loop, intending to go down the creek, but it took me an hour to go 500m, sawing all the alder out of the way. 3 inch branches from one side almost to the other. I couldn't risk getting stuck in there.. 

Also just wanted to through it out there, kinda lame the people who drove to the horse trail camp sites and used chainsaws and blared music late.. shouting over each other...

5/17/2023 8:35 am  #7

I loved the stretch from White Partridge to Green Leaf Lake, and would stop at any or all of them again!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.