You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/05/2023 4:09 pm  #1

Sleeping Pad Comparison Table

A few weeks ago I was in the market for a new sleeping pad. I found the options quite overwhelming when trying to compare all of the specs and trying to balance my ideal requirements. So, being the over-researcher that I am, I decided to make a comprehensive "Sleeping Pad Comparison Table". If you're ever in the market for a new sleeping pad, feel free to check it out: 

Sleeping Pad Comparison Table

The table lets you search, sort, and filter the most important specs. R-Value, Weight, Length, Width, Price, etc.⁠ It includes all of the sleeping pads from companies using the new ASTM standard for R-Values.

USD was used as the currency because it was the only currency available for all brands, so I wanted to keep everything 'apples to apples'. And certain companies like MEC weren't included because i) I couldn't verify if they use the ASTM standard, and ii) tech specs and other important info were missing or inaccurate on the website

Last edited by trippythings (1/05/2023 4:10 pm)

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

1/05/2023 10:31 pm  #2

Re: Sleeping Pad Comparison Table

You're not well (I do the same thing)

1/06/2023 7:44 am  #3

I just bought a new one from MEC, this is just a couple months too late!! Very handy though!

Recent series on YouTube
https://youtu.be/qiAJQaeWFPw

1/06/2023 7:55 am  #4

Great resource Cody, I'm looking for a new one for the spring as well. 

Which pad did you go with?  

1/06/2023 9:50 am  #5

scratchypants wrote:

You're not well (I do the same thing)

This thread makes me feel better . I thought I had a problem but seeing Trippy a little further down the road then me gives me comfort. Lol.   

It is a thing of beauty though.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

1/06/2023 12:00 pm  #6

@scratchy - It took you this long to figure that out!? 

@knox - Thanks, enjoy the MEC pad!

@Mike - Thanks. I ended up getting the Sea to Summit Ether Light XT Insulated. It's not the lightest or smallest on the market, but I wanted to prioritize comfort and supposedly the Ether Light is the best option for that (while still being pretty small and light with a solid R-Value)

@Shawn - Thanks. It's always been a goal of mine to help crazy people seem less crazy by out-crazy'ing them

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

1/06/2023 12:48 pm  #7

trippythings wrote:

It's always been a goal of mine to help crazy people seem less crazy by out-crazy'ing them

1/06/2023 2:09 pm  #8

trippythings wrote:

@Shawn - Thanks. It's always been a goal of mine to help crazy people seem less crazy by out-crazy'ing them

😆 well I own 10 sleeping pads now so you might have some work to do.
 PS: MartinG is the craziest. 🤫

Last edited by ShawnD (1/06/2023 2:10 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

1/10/2023 9:00 am  #9

This is an awesome table, thanks for taking the time to put this together!  I have the old version of the Thermarest Mondoking with an R value of 11.4.  Man that thing is comfy....I've also started to do some camping out of the back of my truck and picked up a 6 inch tri-fold memory foam mattress.  No idea what the r value is on it but I sleep better on that than I do on my mattress at home

1/10/2023 2:14 pm  #10

I wasn't really in the market for a new pad, but then I started playing with those filters, and suddenly I feel like I'm in the market for a new pad.  Incredible job, and thank you for sharing!

BTW, what I've been doing most recently is a Klymit (if I spelled that correctly) that I blow up, and then putting a closed cell foam pad on top of that.  Provides decent warmth and decent padding.  

1/20/2023 1:01 pm  #11

I applaud the effort and time spent putting this together, It is a good resource for future buyers.

That being said, I personally would have gone into the buying process with a few things I was looking for, filter my search to "sale items" at the big stores, and  pulled the trigger within an hour. If I picked a bad one, I would suffer the consequences,  and then continue to use it until I wore the crap out of it and needed a replacement haha. Then try to remember to update my list of wants to not repeat the entire process. 

The trick is learning where to invest money into good equipment, and where the money can be scrimped. 
As a hammock user, sleeping pad is not high on the list of money investments for me.

if you have spare time, haha, can you put together a table like this for watercraft??

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.