You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/06/2016 3:33 pm  #1

Greenleaf Lake with a Canoe Cart

I'm planning on going into Greenleaf Lake this spring. Has anyone used a canoe cart on the powerline 5070m portage from Grand Lake? If so, is it feasible with a cart and has anyone used the MEC Wheeelez Tuff Tire Cart? 

2/06/2016 6:46 pm  #2

Re: Greenleaf Lake with a Canoe Cart

I used a cart once for the portage from rain to mcrainy.....never again will I use a cart hahaha.   I found it so awkward to walk along with and to be honest it just caused more problems then it saved.  I would suggest working your gear to be carried instead of using a cart.  However this is my own personal opinion.   I wish you the best of luck! 
Cheers
Ken

2/06/2016 7:39 pm  #3

Though I've never used a cart, I've crossed that beast of a trail many times in both directions.

It's a giant hill - climbs a staggering 180m from Grand to the peak of the trail, then down another 144m to Greenleaf.  Its a maintenance road for the entire length of the trail, except the final 440m to Greenleaf - this is a boulder garden and narrow trail - you will definitely have to portage this part.

A cart might be worth it, but maybe not - hard to tell. But the road is in good shape. 

Last edited by Peek (2/07/2016 7:30 am)

2/07/2016 12:36 pm  #4

I've used the Wheelz Tuff cart a few times on fishing trips and I find that it's only good for real gravel roads.  It worked great on the cart trail from McKaskill Lake to the Vireo Lake portage.  Once you get into a rough cart trail it becomes more work than it's worth.  I used it on the Opeongo to Proulx cart trail last spring and with the roots and rocks you really had to push and pull the canoe (unloaded) over these obstacles.  It would have been easier to portage.  I guess that's why you see guys with homemade carts with big wheels as they are easier to roll over these small obstacles.  I'd say carry the the Greenleaf portage as it will be easier than trying to deal with a cart.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

2/08/2016 11:09 am  #5

I normally would not use a cart, however, since the Grand Lake to Green Leaf 5070 portage is on a hydro access road, I thought a cart could make things easier. All depends on how good the road is I guess. Thanks for your replies. 

2/08/2016 3:12 pm  #6

Road is pretty good from the Basin Depot side, mind you its also 10km to the start of the 440m carry!!

If you decide to cart, make SURE it has wheel bearings, not plastic bushings, I know some of the "MEC" style carts just have axle/bushing combos, and its not going to hold up well over any distance/load.

2/09/2016 10:07 am  #7

I've used that cart on the Greenleaf cart rail and the McCraney portage with little trouble.Have used it on even tougher portage trails. Even bumped it along ( unloaded ) on the last part of the dickson wheel cart trail. Don't know what some of the posters here are complaining about.

2/09/2016 11:03 am  #8

It's not a cart trail. Doesn't that mean officially you can't use a cart on it?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.