You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/12/2022 10:51 am  #1

Travers or Petawawa

I have two nights booked on Eustache Lake Sept 9-11 and will be doing one night on Sept 8th. 

on Jeff's Map there are two sites shown the devil's cellar rapids. Would these been booked as 'poplar raps' online? there are no sites shown on the park's website. It is a tough call as Travers has the appeal of muskie fishing but also has the detraction of being busier and having motor boats. Likely better walleye fishing on the river as well. For now I'm booked on Travers, what do you guys think? Stay on Travers or Poplar or Devil's Cellar? 

7/12/2022 1:39 pm  #2

Re: Travers or Petawawa

I believe both Devil's Cellar and Poplar Rapids are upstream from Travers. Upstream travel on the Pet in that area would be quite challenging. If you want to drive in that far then I would stay on Travers. 

Alternatively if you want to paddle upstream a bit, then that is quite manageable from McManus as far up as Whitson Lake. I've had success with both walleye and muskie in that bottom section of the Pet. 

7/12/2022 2:11 pm  #3

I would camp at Devils Cellar raps. Camping on Travers then portaging up Poplar raps and the Temptations would be a pain in the butt. Especially if you had another 3k portage after that.

From the water the sites below Devils Cellar rapids look pretty cool. But I've have not bothered to get out and actually inspect the sites. That area is very scenic and I imagine the fishing is decent. You can park at a52 on Jeff's Maps. From there it's a steep portage directly down to the water and you are basically at the sites.

7/12/2022 3:21 pm  #4

Thanks guys, agreed. Going to change my reservation. Have seen the sites from the rail trail and they look nice enough and would put us closer to Eustache. If I was to stay on Travers I'd plan on driving to A52. 

Have done the McManus-Whitson route a few times, looking for a change of scenery. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.