You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2022 8:18 pm  #1

When are the bugs coming this spring?

Any predictions when them blackflies be biting?

5/02/2022 8:37 am  #2

Re: When are the bugs coming this spring?

On the afternoon of May 28th, right after I get in my car to go home.  

Please please please please please please please wait that long....

5/03/2022 6:24 am  #3

Likely a bit early this year. so I'd hazard a guess around May 21st. Definitely before the long wknd the little vampires will begin to feed lightly, and by the end of the long wknd it'll be official. 

5/03/2022 9:34 am  #4

Forecast to be up into the 20's for Saturday & Sunday. That could be enough to get some ambitious black flies out looking for a meal. It won't be much though and the cold nights should still keep that water cold enough to keep most of them from hatching. 

5/03/2022 10:54 am  #5

Heading out the weekend of the 13th.  Based on the forecast I expect the first hatch to be in motion, but maybe not too many biters?  

5/03/2022 5:44 pm  #6

my advice to you is,, just buy a black fly hat and take some comfortable gloves and  some bug repellant containing deet.  stay in a breeze , camp on a point.  where white clothing, nothing dark. smoke a cigar,,
         things will be fine,, relax people,, let's not jinx thangs here? 
  this old dinosaur knows black flies,,, watch for piles of bones along the portages,, that is when it is time to leave,,
        i wonder when the Woke dinks will have that name changed ?????????

5/04/2022 7:59 am  #7

"When water temperatures reach 70 degrees F, the eggs will be ready to hatch."
[url]https://www.ecospark.ca/black-fly#:~:text=The%20eggs%20may%20also%20be,will%20be%20ready%20to%20hatch.[/url]

Given the abnormally warm forecast next week, I'm assuming they'll be out by the 18/19th, and definitely swarming by the long weekend. 

I'll be in the park May 6-14: will update upon return. 

5/04/2022 9:00 am  #8

Thanks for the link, I'm definitely no black fly expert, but the way I interpreted the info & the black fly life cycle from that link:
-There are two stages of black flies that survive the winter: eggs & over wintering larvae
-it seems to me it's the over wintering larvae & then pupae hatch that will be what is actually first to attack us?
-egg hatch at 70F, larvae, pupae then adult cycle seems like it would take too long for that hatch to affect us in spring? That is probably more a June or later pestilence?

But, please do update on bug situation! I'm planning to see if I can fit in a weekday trip starting May 23 to avoid crowds and seek solitude.

5/04/2022 5:59 pm  #9

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

You are F**ked Dave! My deepest sympathies

5/04/2022 8:46 pm  #10

Great information posted above. With the rapid warming expected in the near forecast, my guess would be to expect the first wave of flies starting end of next week.

5/04/2022 9:48 pm  #11

I’m just glad the park is open this year at ice out.  Heading in for a 8 day solo on the 14th.  I expect at some point the black flies will show up.   Not a factor, I’ll be ready!

5/05/2022 8:56 am  #12

MartinG wrote:

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

You are F**ked Dave! My deepest sympathies

It sure looks that way.  I do have a bug shirt though.  It gets hot as H, but that's kind of the way it goes.  Serves me right for wanting to take a canoe trip.  I guess the idea is to wear light-colored clothing, long sleeves, and prepare to become Purina Blackfly-Chow.  I'm thinking the worst part will be on the thunderbox, where I'm a captive audience with exposed legs.

Maybe I'll catch a break and the wind will be ridiculous.

5/05/2022 8:07 pm  #13

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

It sure looks that way.  I do have a bug shirt though.  It gets hot as H, but that's kind of the way it goes.  Serves me right for wanting to take a canoe trip.  I guess the idea is to wear light-colored clothing, long sleeves, and prepare to become Purina Blackfly-Chow.  I'm thinking the worst part will be on the thunderbox, where I'm a captive audience with exposed legs.

Maybe I'll catch a break and the wind will be ridiculous.

If you're anywhere near the Guelph area, you're welcome to borrow a Eureka NoBugZone from me. Even if I go camping the same weekend, I own two ;). No, I don't have a problem, you have a problem. 

5/06/2022 7:47 am  #14

You are too kind, Uppa, I really appreciate that offer.  I think I'm gonna pass on it though, I'll have my hands full on portages as it is.  

My plan is to dress for bugs, then later regret not taking you up on it, then writing a trip report that reminds everyone about your kind offer and my bullheadedness that declined your kind offer.  

5/06/2022 8:17 am  #15

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

You are too kind, Uppa, I really appreciate that offer.  I think I'm gonna pass on it though, I'll have my hands full on portages as it is.  

My plan is to dress for bugs, then later regret not taking you up on it, then writing a trip report that reminds everyone about your kind offer and my bullheadedness that declined your kind offer.  

I salute your self-awareness. .. . . . . . .  and your honesty!

5/06/2022 10:04 am  #16

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

Hah! I've seen the phrase "cube of sanity" floated around when talking about bug tents, and it really can be the case. If I'm on a bug-riddled campsite and have no relief except by crawling into my tiny one-man tent, I very quickly start questioning my life decisions. I went years camping without a bug tent in bug season, but now that I have the NoBugZone, it's basically essential equipment for a late May or June camping trip. 

If you change your mind, just let me know!

5/06/2022 12:12 pm  #17

Now you have sown the seeds of doubt.  They were sown so well that I......I'm going to go on the record saying I bought one because my daughter is going on a hiking trip in the Adirondacks at the height of black fly season so she absolutely needs it and that's all there is to it.....but we all know the unofficial truth about why I bought it......so I'll use the CT11 NoBugZone on this trip, and it will just be officially recorded as a happy coincidence that my daughter needed it and it wasn't me worrying about being devoured.

Pride swallowed.  It did not taste good.

But honestly, I thought these things cost way more, and there won't be that much of a weight penalty because I'll leave my tarp at home and just use this.  

Last edited by MooseWhizzer Dave (5/06/2022 12:52 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.