You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2016 1:18 pm  #1

Spring 2016

What a strange winter its been.
Got got me thinking of how this spring is going to be.
Early?? Low water... hot. Tones of black flies.
Ha. So many loops to choose from.

1/26/2016 1:44 pm  #2

Re: Spring 2016

Barry posed the question here as to how the warm winter would affect black fly/mosquito levels, and posted some links on that matter... no responses yet but maybe you have one?

1/27/2016 8:10 pm  #3

I do not think it will be early - but I hope I am wrong

1/27/2016 8:29 pm  #4

Is spring going to be early or is winter showing up late? We have a trip planned for May 2 4. Water will be brisk nonetheless.

1/27/2016 9:07 pm  #5

So with the early ice out in 2012 late March I believe this article was published.

Summary seems to be mild winter + early spring= early bugs, bad black flies and fewer mosquitos.

Unless I'm reading it wrong. Seems to see- saw on the black fly conclusions.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/mild-winter-weather-will-get-bugs-buzzing-sooner-1.1176437

Last edited by ShawnD (1/27/2016 9:14 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

1/28/2016 10:06 am  #6

Shayne74 wrote:

Is spring going to be early or is winter showing up late? We have a trip planned for May 2 4. Water will be brisk nonetheless.

Well we don't know if we'll have an early spring but we do know we'll have a late 2 4. The long weekend is May 21-23 this year, compared to May 16-18 last year.

But the long weekend is far enough into the spring that its weather doesn't really correspond with late winter conditions. This past year we had a late thaw and an early Victoria Day and the weekend happened to be a hot one in the park, during which I went for a quick swim and had more luck catching sunfish and rock bass than trout.

I am a bit concerned about long weekend black flies though. I often go on May 2 4 canoe trips and manage to get in and out just ahead of the black fly onslaught, but this year's calendar might push the holiday into black fly season and potentially warmer, less trout-friendly waters. Thinking I might try for an earlier May trip.

1/28/2016 11:09 am  #7

Most snowmobile trails in and around Algonquin are still not fully open, in a large part because of open water in creeks, rivers & swamps. We already seem to have passed the peak cold as of last week/weekend with really warm temps this week and forecast for next week. This is pretty much expected in an El Nino year and I wouldn't be surprised to see "ice out" by the middle of March again. 

1/28/2016 11:47 am  #8

Fishing gal, I just posted a bit of farm wisdom to barry's inquiry about bugs. A bit I forgot to tell Barry. If spring arrives early bats seem to return early too, and after noticing this for years, it turned out that the mosquito season was horrible as well, although sometimes short lived when hotter weather arrived.
But I'm none to sure people in cities and towns would be able to notice this as bats often cannot get into houses. However, an early evening walk near open fields, farms, or ponds may give an indication as you would see them out flying.

1/28/2016 3:03 pm  #9

Probably some unwelcome facts about black flies. If the first hatch fails due hot and dry.. they will try again later. Last May was cold and wet here. They breed the minute the water gets to 10 degrees. It took till June to get to that.. then it rained.. The summer was cool and they somehow were still not breeding though it was usually( but not always) warmer than 10. ( strange summer last year) 

They had their last hatch in August and it was vicious.  Depending on your black fly specie..they might just be lying in wait.

We went to Newfoundland in August and the blackflies were very thick  enought to be spots on camera lens.. But the  people that live there were welcoming of the warmth as July was in their words "horrible"

Last edited by kayamedic (1/28/2016 3:05 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.