You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/16/2021 5:10 pm  #1

Bug season

What’s the typical spread between ice out and bug in?  I have it in my head that there’s usually  like a 2-3 week grace period between when the ice goes out and the bugs get noticeable, but I’ve never paid that close attention.

11/16/2021 5:27 pm  #2

Re: Bug season

A few years ago, I did a very unscientific analysis of year-over-year bug reports on AA vs. ice out dates, and found that the window is about three weeks long.  I doubt that I still have my little excel sheet anywhere, but that was what I concluded. 

However, your mileage may vary, depending on the type of area you are in.  A boggy area is going to see more fun and games than say an elevated hardwood area.

11/16/2021 5:33 pm  #3

I think there is more to a sustained hatch of biting black flys than just ice out. i have found you are pretty safe before Victoria Day weekend. Regardless of ice out date.

11/16/2021 7:58 pm  #4

MartinG wrote:

I think there is more to a sustained hatch of biting black flys than just ice out. i have found you are pretty safe before Victoria Day weekend. Regardless of ice out date.

Agreed. Go in on the Friday and you’re usually ok. By the time you’re leaving Monday you’re usually digging the bug spray out.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.