You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/12/2021 10:41 am  #1

Staying on Misty Lake versus Timberwolf Lake

Hi,
Looking at a late September/Early October Trip starting out of Access Point 3.  It'll be my first time out of that area.  I'm wondering about staying on Misty Lake or Timberwolf Lake?  There are a few PCI reports on Misty but nothing on Timberwolf Lake.  I was wondering given the choice which lake you would stay at and why?  Thanks very much in advance for any replies.

8/12/2021 11:34 am  #2

Re: Staying on Misty Lake versus Timberwolf Lake

Stay on Misty.  It's a beautiful lake that has become very popular during peak season, but if you're looking at late Sept/early Oct you will have no problem grabbing a nice spot.  I can't say I've looked too hard at sites on Timberwolf, but have stayed on Misty many times over the last 20 years and have never been disappointed.  

I've had good luck fishing trout on Timberwolf, and Timberwolf cr makes for a nice short day trip from East Misty back around (if you're base camping).  

My favourite sites on Misty are PCI 1, 9, and 17. 

8/12/2021 3:07 pm  #3

Thanks!
I appreciate the information.  My first time out of Access 3. I"m very much looking forward to this fall trip.

8/12/2021 3:16 pm  #4

I just came through both of those last week. Stayed on Misty and paddled through Timberwolf. It looked to me like there were more choices for good sites on Misty, I know I was happy with mine. And it’s a beautiful lake. That said, Timberwolf is going to feel a bit more secluded. There are only six sites on it and it’s still a decent sized lake. In the fall, crowds probably aren’t an issue on either though, so I’d go with Misty too.

8/12/2021 10:23 pm  #5

Another +1 for Misty. You can find some pictures of the campsites on Timberwolf with a bit of Googling, but overall there are nicer sites on Misty in my opinion. And at that time of year, you'll probably have your choice of campsite too.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/13/2021 7:54 am  #6

I would pick Timberwolf every time. It's a beautiful quiet lake. Misty is a very overused lake IMHO. The good sites are really beaten down. Timberwolf sees much less traffic and has better fishing.

8/14/2021 5:54 am  #7

Thanks!
As I'm planning an out and back, it looks now I'll be able to check out both lakes.  So I'm looking forward to checking out Timberwolf as well for the night.

8/18/2021 7:17 pm  #8

The site that shares with a ranger site on Timberwolf is a gem. Nice Peninsula going out. 

I'd take McIntosh over either of them though. Tons of Island sites to choose from and they are all great.

8/30/2021 12:13 am  #9

My wife and I stayed on Timberwolf on the island called Snake Island. It has a really nice west facing beach area and it was very private. Misty is great as well though.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.