You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/31/2021 7:09 pm  #1

Gelcoat

This may not really fit under "skills", but....I've got two boats, a Nova Craft Pal (tuff stuff layup), and Curtis Nomad (Kevlar).  The Nova Craft is 3 years old, the Nomad around 30, but both have always been stored indoors, so there's no UV damage to the gelcoats from sitting out in the sun for seasons at a time. 

Both have gelcoat exteriors, both have a few rock scratches, particularly the Nova Craft.  None are deep enough to make me think that resin (or whatever) gelcoat repairs are needed, but what do you do for general maintenance?  Ages ago I used to put Turtle Wax on another boat I had maybe once a season for whatever good that did.

5/31/2021 9:20 pm  #2

Re: Gelcoat

I apply 303 protectant and Watco oil to my Nomad (fiberglass), as Dave Curtis site recommends. Neither takes care of scratches and I'm too lazy to wax. I have been tripping in this boat for about 5-6 months, combined, during the last 10 years and so far so good, though the bottom obtained this noble grey tint...

6/01/2021 7:07 am  #3

Another option one step beyond 303 is Flood Penetrol. It is marketed as a fiberglass restorer. Does a pretty good job of concealing microscratches and really makes the canoe shine. Needs periodic reapplication and doesn't actually remove the scratches. Dave Curtis also recommended this to me.

Some will recommend a series of 3M rubbing and polishing compounds to eliminate small scratches. While it can look great you should be careful with this and know what compound you are using. It can really cut into your Gelcoat. Essentially grinding it away.

6/01/2021 8:06 am  #4

Thank you both very much, I really appreciate it.  I had all kinds of notes from my discussion with Dave right after I bought the Nomad last year, which I of course can't find....but you both sparked my memory a bit back to my discussion with Dave and his recommendation of 303, and the Watco. Will look into the Flood Penetrol as well.

I tried looking this topic up online, but didn't really get anywhere.  So many of the suggestions are from people making repairs (which is not what I'm after) or sandpapering areas down and working their way to a sheen through finer and finer grit, starting with 80 grit.  Also not what I'm after.  I'm sure there's a time and place for that, but sandpaper is a tool for removing material (especially 80 grit), and in my experience, rocks do a sufficient job of removing material from the hull.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.