You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2021 7:22 am  #1

TR104: Tim R - Shippagew - Devine - Rosebary

Hello members of the Algonquin Adventures community!

I’m back with a new trip report and some updates (And no – this isn’t an April Fools joke)

T104: Tim River – Shippagew – Devine – Rosebary

This report details an 8-day solo trip on the west side of Algonquin last October. Well, almost solo – I arranged to meet up with Unlostify’s Jeffrey & Deki on my last night while camped at Rosebary Lake. This report has a lot of photos and plenty of encounters – including video of a family of otters hugging and swimming off together (I’m not even kidding). It was also one of the wettest trips I’ve been on, it rained daily for a week. Finally, I’ve added a route map above each daily map, to give more perspective on the entire trip. I hope you enjoy it!

As for updates, the removed T60: Opeongo – Hailstorm Creek will be re-uploaded and available for viewing within a few days. T58: Little Carcajou – Carcajou – Green Leaf will also reappear later this month.

As always, feedback is welcomed and thank you for your support!

4/01/2021 8:27 am  #2

Re: TR104: Tim R - Shippagew - Devine - Rosebary

What a great report!!! 
I've taken note of the "don't wolf howl in rutting season" rule; no wonder you didn't sleep.
Great narration, great pictures, and loved the otter videos. 
Thanks for the time you take to do all this; it helps so much while on the verge of nicer weather!

4/01/2021 9:15 am  #3

Great report, thanks for taking the time to write it up and publish.

4/01/2021 9:39 am  #4

Awesome report Peek.  That site on Shippagew might be one of my favorites in the park, def worth a 2 night stay. 

4/01/2021 10:07 am  #5

Thanks for the good read Peek.  It brought back many memories as I have been on every lake, creek and river you were on except for Devine and Stag.

Question:  Eating bacon on Day 8....real or fake bacon?

Also, one of your last photos mentioned looking SE towards Longer Lake....I'm sure you meant Longbow.

Again, thanks for the memories.

Bo

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/01/2021 10:20 am  #6

Nice report. I spotted your camera in one of those pics... looks like an 80D or 90D? I just got myself a 90D that I'm excited to bring with me on trips this year.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/01/2021 1:23 pm  #7

Thanks for the kind words everyone - glad you like it.

@OBS - yeah man, I won't be doing that again. Ever.
@JDB - Thanks dude!
@TM - Beauty site for sure, just wish it wasn't October when I finally got to stay there (swimming options looked great)
@BO - Glad you liked it and thanks for the correction, you are absolutely correct! Day 8 was most def fake bacon.
@TT - Thanks - Camera is Canon 70D - I love it, but 90% of this trip was shot with an S10+. In fact, most photos from my last 3 reports were a blend of both cameras, but majority was shot with the S10+.

4/01/2021 4:10 pm  #8

Awesome report and wicked pics Peek!  I know the Tim isn't for everyone as some find it too boring, but I personally love paddling the Tim.  Always get that sense of you never know what's around that next bend...Those campsites looked fantastic as well....

4/01/2021 7:06 pm  #9

Awesome TR Peek! Always good to finish with a Jeff and Deki sighting.

4/01/2021 7:09 pm  #10

Peek wrote:

@TT - Thanks - Camera is Canon 70D - I love it, but 90% of this trip was shot with an S10+. In fact, most photos from my last 3 reports were a blend of both cameras, but majority was shot with the S10+.

Just curious, why carry all the extra weight then? I only started bringing a DSLR last season and I love having it with me, it makes such a huge difference to the quality of pics I'm able to capture. But it's definitely a lot of extra lbs if it's not going to be put to use lol

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/02/2021 7:23 am  #11

@SE: Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it. This was my first time on this section of the Tim and even solo in a 16.5ft boat I enjoyed it.
@MG: Thanks - and yeah it was great to chill with the boys again, it had been so long cause covid.
@TT: Good question. The short answer is - there are too many situations where a mobile device camera just doesn't cut it - usually in strange lighting situations. But also - I would have taken half the pics I did (say, any pic taken along a portage) because I'm not going to bust out the DSL for a shot that can be taken with a device that always in my pocket. So for the last few trips, I've kept a mobile device on hand at all times. I find I take more shots, but less quality. It doesn't bother me because I'm not selling anything, just sharing. All that aside, I'm a tank on the portages, so a few extra lbs. won't make or break me - think of it as a workout.

Edit: a word.

Last edited by Peek (4/02/2021 9:22 am)

4/02/2021 8:32 pm  #12

Thanks Peek for sharing your awesome trip.  I haven’t explored that area of the park yet, but definitely want to now.  Got one question what’s your recipe for a “whiskey sour” in the bush?

4/03/2021 5:48 am  #13

Hey Capt'. Glad you liked the trip. I really enjoyed the route.

Whiskey sours made easy:
Water
Whiskey
Mio Lemonade

Mix water and whiskey to preference, then add two or three quick squirts of the Mio lemonade (or to taste, just be careful not to use too much). Shake & enjoy!

Works every time.

4/20/2021 9:01 am  #14

Great read. I've never been to that neck of the woods but looks like an awesome route. I've always found paddling rivers and streams to be more enjoyable than lakes, plus the fishing is usually better. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.