You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2021 12:05 pm  #1

Allan - Clamshell - Big George - Cedar - North River?

I'm starting to think about Spring trips, and this loop out of the North would be pretty much all new territory for me (other than Cedar). It's mostly low maintenance, but from what I've read none of it should be particularly bad.So far my thinking is to put in at Wendigo and do the loop clockwise, with nights on Allan, Clamshell, Big George, Cedar and North River (or Merganser?). And maybe go into Wabamimi and spend a night there if it's nice? It looks like I could maybe connect up with the logging road out of Wabamimi to not have to backtrack my route. 

But there's a lot of "ifs" there. Which lakes are worth camping on? Which direction to do the loop? Are any of those low maintenances section dodgier than I think they will be? Anyone know if I can indeed bushwhack to that logging road next to Wabimimi? For that matter I even have a choice of access points, although as the loop would be the same either way I'm not sure that matters. 

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

1/03/2021 12:21 pm  #2

Re: Allan - Clamshell - Big George - Cedar - North River?

Clamshell has got a nice exposed site with a swinging rope into the water. I haven't been there personally but saw a bunch of pics and now it's on my list

Peek (member here) told me...

"The 6 portages between the car and the campsite can be a little rough compared to other ports in APP – mainly just rocky as opposed to a nice, well-used trail. Still worth it.... The sites on both Allan and North Depot are pretty decent if you ask me. A good mix of different types of campsite (beachy, rocky, bushy, etc.). The portage between Allan and North depot can be easily skipped (when headed south) but do not skip any between N.D. and Clamshell."

That's in reference to Wendigo > Clamshell... so only a small portion of your loop, but a little bit of info is better than no info at all

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

1/03/2021 2:04 pm  #3

You can not skip the portage between Wendigo and Allan. You can skip the portage between Allan and North Depot. (Jeff's Map has that wrong). I've skipped a bunch of the portages between North Depot and Clamshell. While there are some pretty water falls it turns into a disaster. Don't do it! The Clamshell site is great! Good swimming, good fishing. There are some relics and a water fall behind the site.

These videos describe Markus' trip through Big George
https://youtu.be/YOQFiQvcUSc
https://youtu.be/4P48DuhQ-AU

If conditions are good you can paddle between Wab and Little Wab, then bushwhack to the road. It joins up with the portage to Merganser. 

Last edited by MartinG (1/03/2021 2:05 pm)

1/04/2021 4:53 pm  #4

Thanks for the info trippythings and Martin!

@Martin: I've watched Markus' trip into Big George, looks exactly like what I'm looking for - some pain and suffering and seclusion. Although I think I'm switching this loop to a summer trip instead of my ice-out. 

1/04/2021 5:52 pm  #5

Looking at the map it seems like you could portage the road from Big George to Wabamini if you wanted to get really adventurous and skip the swing through Cedar. Would be an interesting option if it’s actually possible.

1/04/2021 6:13 pm  #6

Hrm - that would be interesting, wouldn't it? It would save a boatload of portaging if possible. Will take a look at satellite imagery and see if it looks feasible. Good call!

Last edited by Uppa (1/04/2021 6:13 pm)

1/04/2021 6:57 pm  #7

I camped on that really nice site on Clamshell.  North Depot has a nice sandy beach on the first island you come to upon landing and an uphill climb to your site.  Merganser has a nice flat site close to portage to North River Lake.  I have camped on the island site and the 2 others close to it always in early May and had problems finding wood for campfire.

I haven't been to any of off beat lakes on your proposed route.  But from Wendigo to Cedar I have done and would totally recommend it.

Hope this helps.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

1/04/2021 7:09 pm  #8

Google maps makes it seem possible. Pretty clear defined road. I used the measuring tool and gave it between 3.5 - 4 km from Big George to Wabimi.

1/05/2021 10:55 am  #9

MartinG wrote:

You can not skip the portage between Wendigo and Allan. You can skip the portage between Allan and North Depot. (Jeff's Map has that wrong). 

Martin is bang on here. Wasted some time looking for it on Wendigo last time I was there. Planning a winter camping trip to Wendigo, can't wait. Burbot, lakers and brookies. 

1/05/2021 11:32 am  #10

Thanks for the great info everyone! Drew, I think the bushwhack is going to be a go. Most likely will do this as a summer trip rather than my Spring opener though. I'll definitely be filming the bushwhack attempt!

1/05/2021 12:48 pm  #11

Funny, I did the same thing - went to google maps and plotted the distance - 2-2.5 miles and relatively short bushwhacks to get to the road.  Easy travel once you hit the road, I'd expect, but keep your ears open for logging trucks or other authorized vehicles and check the harvest map for activity in the area.

Looks like a dandy loop either way!

1/05/2021 2:44 pm  #12

Uppa wrote:

Thanks for the great info everyone! Drew, I think the bushwhack is going to be a go. Most likely will do this as a summer trip rather than my Spring opener though. I'll definitely be filming the bushwhack attempt!

I am entirely too excited to see this video. I’ve been wanting to do this route for the past couple years but never noticed the bushwhack potential until you pointed out the road. Makes the route more appealing as the two 2+ km portages getting to and out of Cedar didn’t look like fun.  Looking forward to seeing how it is.

1/05/2021 3:07 pm  #13

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

I am entirely too excited to see this video. I’ve been wanting to do this route for the past couple years but never noticed the bushwhack potential until you pointed out the road. Makes the route more appealing as the two 2+ km portages getting to and out of Cedar didn’t look like fun. Looking forward to seeing how it is.

You are more than welcome to join me if you'd like to!

Last edited by Uppa (1/05/2021 3:08 pm)

1/06/2021 8:42 am  #14

Uppa wrote:

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

I am entirely too excited to see this video. I’ve been wanting to do this route for the past couple years but never noticed the bushwhack potential until you pointed out the road. Makes the route more appealing as the two 2+ km portages getting to and out of Cedar didn’t look like fun. Looking forward to seeing how it is.

You are more than welcome to join me if you'd like to!

If the world ever goes back to normal I may have to take you up on that. Two heads lost between Big George and Wabimimi are better than one.

1/06/2021 8:53 am  #15

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

If the world ever goes back to normal I may have to take you up on that. Two heads lost between Big George and Wabimimi are better than one.

If Algonquin isn't socially distanced enough for you, then I hope the bunker you're posting from is well stocked ;). 

1/06/2021 2:05 pm  #16

Uppa wrote:

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

If Algonquin isn't socially distanced enough for you, then I hope the bunker you're posting from is well stocked ;). 

Hahahahahaha. I just spit out my drink. Fair point.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.