You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/27/2020 2:57 pm  #1

Nadine to North Raven

Is Nadine to North Raven Lake a reasonable day for a solo tripper? The distance according to Jeff's Map seems fine, but it's got a bunch of portages, covers Heart Attack Hill and a stretch of Maple Creek that I understand can be pretty difficult. I guess a better question is, has anyone done this solo or would it be better to plan a stop on Skuce as well?

12/27/2020 4:53 pm  #2

Re: Nadine to North Raven

Nadine to Skuce would be a short day. We did Kiosk access to Little Osler in a day. Then Little Osler to Robinson in a day. They were hard but not long or  crazy days. Those portages between Nadine and Skuce are tough but it's a pretty short distance.

Doing your route I would look for the road behind the north campsite on Osler and take that to the portage between North Raven and Coral Root. Not speaking from experience. But it has long been on my list to try just that.

12/27/2020 6:37 pm  #3

We did Nadine to Erables in 7 hours, mostly single carry (4 hours to Skuce). Distance-wise Raven is a bit further and include couple o  low-maintenance portages. Looks like fun! I heard that Maple creek could be tough, but downstream of the Spruce portage it was not a problem - and we were there in August and in extremely low water year. Of course, upstream could be more difficult and all this estimates are extremely subjective anyway.

12/29/2020 1:24 pm  #4

Thanks guys. That Osler to Coral Root road does look interesting. I probably wouldn’t try it this time around because I’ve never been up that way and I’d like to see the lakes north of Osler. Another time though it’d be fun to try.

I’ve been going back and forth on giving myself the short day and pressing on. The good news is I’ve got 6-8 months to change my mind half a dozen times. What’s Skuce like? Is it even worth a stay?

12/29/2020 1:53 pm  #5

I find Skuce a "Meh.." lake. To be fair, I have only passed through it twice while en route to Nadine and have not explored it fully. Last summer I passed through that area and Little Osler really caught my eye. Beautiful water quality begging for a fishing rod 🤠

12/31/2020 11:11 am  #6

I camped on Skuce once for 3 nights and would never do it again.  It was a fishing trip so after finding out there are NO trout in Skuce, we went to Little Osler and Osler and had decent trout fishing.  Little Osler is 100 times better to camp on than Skuce, whether you are fishing or not.

Bo

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

12/31/2020 12:45 pm  #7

Ok, last question. Of Nadine, Osler or Little Osler which would people recommend? I had heard that Nadine was quite nice which is why I was thinking of stopping there but if Osler/Little Osler are just as good it might make sense to do one of those instead.

12/31/2020 1:23 pm  #8

I have spent two nights on Nadine and fished at both times without luck. It could just be that, poor luck. But like I said, little Osler is very very interesting to me. Bo perhaps confirms my suspicions a bit.

12/31/2020 4:44 pm  #9

I would choose Osler. The point campsite looks nice. Beautiful Lake. I have camped in Little Osler. A very cool remote little lake. Caught 2 Brookies in 15 minutes. Campsites are nothing to write home about.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.