You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2020 7:57 pm  #18

Re: Ski-In First Timer

i think that the m.n.r is concerned about winter campers going on thin ice,, very mild winter at this point,, perhaps putting first responders in jeopardy. just like the spring ice out policy over the last several years,, 
  we all saw how fully booked algonquin was this last year,, many first time interior campers/trippers took advantage of the parks space.
     after saying that , i do believe that more of algonquin should be opened up,, people do need a place to go.

Last edited by swedish pimple (12/30/2020 8:42 pm)

12/30/2020 8:25 pm  #19

MartinG wrote:

Hey John,

Parking at Kearney isn't so bad. Directly across HWY 60 from the west driveway into Kearney is a summer bicycle trail going through Pog. It takes you directly to the dam across the Madawaska (you said you weren't comfortable taking the Pog portage directly to whitefish). You just need to cross the HWY to the bicycle trail. No need to walk along 60. Be aware, walking the rail trail all the way to Rock can be a very long long slog if the snow is deep.

Cars parked across 60 at the Kearney driveway. My toboggan is on the bike path.

I see it now. It looks like you take the portage for a bit and then cut back north to the campground at a key moment.

How often have you skied the rail trail? I've biked on it like 25 times, so am very excited to see it in the winter.

Where did you camp in that picture? Looks like the north end of Whitefish to me.

12/31/2020 5:01 am  #20

mew lake, no dogs, no radio sites,, 36 sites, only 8 reservable,, rest of the sites are closed for the season,,,
       mew lake along the highway,   27 sites,, only 6 open for reservations, the rest of the sites are closed for the season,,
     the hydro sites are 66 total with 41 open for reservation the rest of the sites are closed for the season.

Last edited by swedish pimple (12/31/2020 5:28 am)

12/31/2020 10:17 am  #21

John McClane wrote:

How often have you skied the rail trail? I've biked on it like 25 times, so am very excited to see it in the winter.

Where did you camp in that picture? Looks like the north end of Whitefish to me.

Yes, that is the north west shore. I've been down the trail in winter twice. Both times we were breaking trail and it was harder than expected. Much easier to travel on the lake where the wind packed snow is firmer.

12/31/2020 12:12 pm  #22

Am I being too conservative on the lakes being frozen?

The reason I hesitated is mostly ignorance about how thoroughly the lakes in the Madawaska system freeze over.

What is the best resource for that information? I'm not going until late February.

12/31/2020 4:47 pm  #23

Take the rail bed. The Madawaska between Rock and Whitefish is sketchy. Once you are out onto the main body of the lake it will be fine.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.