You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/13/2020 7:54 am  #1

How are the bugs?

More specifically are the black flies about done yet?

6/13/2020 9:21 am  #2

Re: How are the bugs?

They were jusssst coming out when I left Cedar Lake on June 5th so... if anything they're approaching the worst possible point.

6/13/2020 1:18 pm  #3

I came out on the 9th, and it seemed like it was to time of the mosquito on Magnetewan.  Blackflies got hammered by a cold snap late last week.  The bugs were a lot better this week than around Canada day last year.

6/13/2020 1:51 pm  #4

YMMV. This was Sunday the 7th on Brule

6/13/2020 5:20 pm  #5

Just came out of a Mink and Cauchon lake loop today. Mosquitos and black flies  were pretty bad on the portages but because of the wind it was fine on the lakes and campsites. I imagine if we hadn’t had the heavy winds we would have been in much worse shape

6/13/2020 6:53 pm  #6

I’ve been looking at the forecast from Huntsville To Barry’s Bay and there has been some cool nights but now they are predicting warm to hot weather and dry. Hopefully that will kill most of the bugs and make this coming weekend a good one.

6/14/2020 6:52 pm  #7

Was on Whitefish Lake this past weekend, and with the cool weather and wind they were almost non-existent.

A few bad periods at dusk when the wind calmed down, but overall remarkably good!

ETA: Still some blackflies, but mosquitoes worse. First appearance of horseflies, too.

Last edited by John McClane (6/14/2020 6:53 pm)

6/14/2020 8:51 pm  #8

Heading through Smoke lake to Louisa and back starting on Tuesday.  Sounds good about the blackflies, but with the mosquitoes, horseflies, high temps and no desire to portage in long sleeves and pants, it might be a bit rough.  Guess there will be a bit of a blood price along with the park fees lol.  Still, can't wait!

6/15/2020 7:37 am  #9

I'm a bit ignorant as to what will get rid of the bugs fastest. I've heard dry, high temperatures and high wind. Is that accurate? Anything else I should be hoping for?

6/15/2020 12:29 pm  #10

6/15/2020 9:20 pm  #11

John McClane wrote:

I'm a bit ignorant as to what will get rid of the bugs fastest. I've heard dry, high temperatures and high wind. Is that accurate? Anything else I should be hoping for?

Snow?  Hopefully not.

Because of work I'm pretty much limited to bug season so light weight long clothes, sweat, and windy camp sites.

7/02/2020 11:46 pm  #12

Hopefully the heat keeps the bugs at bay for my trip july 10!

7/06/2020 12:39 pm  #13

Anyone out this past weekend with the hot weather with a bug update? 

Heading in this Friday for 3 days.

Cheers!

Marcus

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

7/06/2020 12:43 pm  #14

Came out Sat. Bugs are fine. Better than expected for very early July. Going in next week again will likely just bring a small head net and 1 can of spray.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

7/06/2020 12:50 pm  #15

ShawnD wrote:

Came out Sat. Bugs are fine. Better than expected for very early July. Going in next week again will likely just bring a small head net and 1 can of spray.

Thanks Shawn!

Thats what I like to hear! Probably just do the same then

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

7/06/2020 1:04 pm  #16

Just came out yesterday. Bugs were quite unfriendly on portages, but virtually nonexistent on any of my campsites other than the deerflies. I was wearing a bug jacket while travelling. 

I was up and moving very early though - the bugs likely wouldn't have been as bad if I had been portaging at 1 PM instead of 6 AM!

Last edited by Uppa (7/06/2020 1:32 pm)

7/08/2020 5:36 am  #17

Was up in Cedar lake area of Algonquin over the extended long weekend. Somehow blackflies are still alive they show up for 1 hour murder sessions and then are non existent for the rest of the day. Mosquitos absolutely rabid and lots of flys buzzing around you during the day. You'll get the full package right now.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.