You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2016 2:06 pm  #18

Re: MSR guardian water purifier

The Sawyer water bottle is just a Sawyer PointOne filter (Sawyer Squeeze) - in a bottle. Pristine has a bottle filter. So does Katadyn. They both kind of suck or rather you have to, until you are red in face if you want a decent drink.

Where Naked could be different is flow rate. If you Google around a bit you will read a lot of people raving about the Sawyer Mini they just bought or use on their once a year trip. Ask people who use them a lot and you will find the biggest draw back is the flow rate starts to decline. Eventually reducing to the point where you are back flushing every few litres. The Sawyer PointOne Filter (Sawyer Squeeze) is supposed to be better. This is a problem shared with the MSR HyperFLo. A filter I got so frustrated with that I threw it away. I have a Sawyer Mini but I have hardly used it, preferring the simplicity of tablets. I have set it up as a Gravity filter a couple of times. My experience is that the Platypus Gravity works has a better flow rate.

Where Naked could be promising is if the flow rate is actually real. Naked claims the filter has a negligible effect on flow. It looks like you don't even have to squeeze the bottle. It just pours out almost as fast as if there was no filter. That would be great! Still, I'll wait for some real world reviews before picking one up.

1/18/2016 3:34 pm  #19

Thx Martin.. Agreed the Naked Filter looks better.. problem is though probably won't be able to buy in Cda for a while and the 40% extra hit would hurt when it is available in US. Likely best to wait it out and see.

I have the Platypus system which none of these would replace.. . Just use the bottle when out on the lake or at the beginning/end of portage for a quick drink instead of digging something more complex out of my bag.

So thinking with my use being secondary the Sawyer bottle maybe fine for me .. hmm..  also like the 100,000 gallon claim on the sawyer.. a little suspicious of that kind of number though..    

Last edited by ShawnD (1/18/2016 3:35 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

1/23/2016 8:43 am  #20

kayamedic wrote:

Peek wrote:

Bob thanks for posting this. I need to replace my MSR MiniWorks at the end of this season (had it for 6 years, and it's time for a new one) and I was just going to replace it with the same model. Definitely considering this technology instead. Self cleaning? 2.5L per minute? Yeah. Definitely checking this out.

Why replace so quick? Mine is 23 years old. and used. Not needing replacement unless I am missing something.

The Guardian is great for the tropics and perhaps if you are travelling with a big big group..

Hey kayamedic.. Back in August when I wrote that I was having difficulties with my current unit (the hose had a few leaks (tape just wasn't working anymore) and I needed some new gaskets). That being said, there is a moderately priced repair kit available, but I couldn't find the spare hose anywhere. When I finally did, it was just over $20. I also needed a new cartridge.. so then I did some math.. Maintenance kit - $20, Cartridge - $40, Hose - $20. $80 to fix an existing unit, when $86 would buy me a new one. Just made sense to replace the whole unit (if I was going that route) Today they go for $96, but still.. $80 to repair an old unit, or $96 for all new materials and no wear+tear, I'll go for the new one.

But since then, I was able to get a gasket for about two bucks, and a better, longer, more durable hose for ten. So I continued using the old unit and it works just fine - fixed for $12 plus cartridge.

1/23/2016 1:29 pm  #21

Sorry I missed most of August. Paddling in Newfoundland!  You did a lot of math!

1/23/2016 2:29 pm  #22

I like math helps me not get ripped!

So far so good with the new hose, went with a tougher material and longer.

1/24/2016 10:22 am  #23

MartinG wrote:

If you Google around a bit you will read a lot of people raving about the Sawyer Mini they just bought or use on their once a year trip. Ask people who use them a lot and you will find the biggest draw back is the flow rate starts to decline. Eventually reducing to the point where you are back flushing every few litres.

I've had mine since 2014 and certainly use it more than once a year. I don't recall any review where this was mentioned as an issue and it certainly hasn't been my experience. If it is backflushed regularly and stored properly I don't expect this would be a problem.

Shawn, In regards to the Sawyer filter bottle, I don't think I would bother with it. The Mini can be attached to a bottle and used in the same manner while being lighter and less expensive. The bottle version also lacks the versatility of the Mini. 

Last edited by Algonquintripper (1/24/2016 10:25 am)

Dave

6/21/2016 10:21 am  #24

Bumping this old post because I've actually used the MSR guardian on a camping trip now and I absolutely love it.

My previous filter was the MSR MiniWorks. I never had any issues with it, but then I'd never had any other filter to compare it to. Water filtering with it was always, in hindsight, a chore. I'd have to get in the kayak and paddle out from my site, because any attempted filtering from shore would have its flow rate drop to the point where I'd have to clean it before I'd pumped a liter. Filling a 4 L container with the MiniWorks was a *chore*. It took at least 10 minutes of constant pumping. Longer if I needed to stop and clean the filter. As a result of the time involved, and the fact that I'd have to go out on the water to pump, I was always semi-subconciously rationing my water intake. And as a result I was always mildly dehydrated on my camping trips, because I wasn't drinking as much water as I would have otherwise. 

Enter the MSR Guardian. It filters everything that's filterable, it has a very fast flow rate, and it doesn't need cleaning, because it cleans itself on every pump stroke. On my camping trip I did all my filtering from the shoreline, as in 'drop it in two inches of water and pump' shoreline. I noticed no drop in the flow rate from the first liter I pumped on that trip to the last. Being able to just walk down to the water's edge and pump 4 liters of water in about a minute and a half was an incredible luxury I didn't know I was missing, but now there's no chance I could do without it. I drank more far more water on that trip, and felt better for doing so. 

Still - it's a silly amount of money for a water filter. It's hard to justify the cost, but I'm happy I bought it nonetheless!

6/21/2016 12:44 pm  #25

@Algonquintripper

There are lots of videos and reports complaining that the mini flow rate is not as good as the squeeze. Your mileage may vary.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PacificCrestTrail/comments/3alysb/sawyer_mini_vs_sawyer_squeeze/

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/112366-Sawyer-mini-vs-squeeze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBCVKlkusWg

Last edited by MartinG (6/21/2016 3:58 pm)

6/21/2016 8:46 pm  #26

MartinG wrote:

@Algonquintripper

There are lots of videos and reports complaining that the mini flow rate is not as good as the squeeze. Your mileage may vary.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PacificCrestTrail/comments/3alysb/sawyer_mini_vs_sawyer_squeeze/

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/112366-Sawyer-mini-vs-squeeze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBCVKlkusWg

I've never used the Squeeze, Martin, so I cannot compare it to the Mini but it only makes sense that it would have a faster flow rate. No argument there. My previous comment, however, was in regards to some users experiencing a reduced flow rate over time. I was simply stating that that had not been my experience and suggested that those who did may not be backflushing enough. 

That being said, I find the flow rate of the Mini quite satisfactory but I use it only as a solo filter. It should not be someone's first choice for a group excursion. Also, I generally use the squeeze method only while in camp. When on the trail or in the canoe I either attach it to my bladder tube or the top of a pop bottle so no squeezing required. On a backpacking trip last October I tried it in gravity mode for the first time and it worked well. The only problem I had was remembering to turn it off when my bottle was full. So, more than once I used a whole bladder of water to fill a Nalgene.

Last edited by Algonquintripper (6/21/2016 8:50 pm)

Dave

6/21/2016 8:57 pm  #27

@Algonquntripper Thanks for sharing your experience. Good to know. I have a Mini that I use connected to a Platypus Big Zip as a gravity filter. I've never been all that happy with the flow rate. Perhaps I should give it another go.

I also just realized your post was from 5 months ago, Doh!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.