You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2015 11:29 am  #1

MSR guardian water purifier

Anyone else excited about this water filter? Granted it's overkill for what's needed in Algonquin, but with a good flow rate, no manual cleaning (back flushing happens automatically with each pump), and filtering just about every conceivable pathogen out of the water, it seems almost too good to be true. It's not actually on sale yet - coming in 2016 by the sounds of things.

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2015/07/19/six-years-military-research-leads-to-msrs-new-guardian-water-purifier
http://guardianpurifier.com/

8/15/2015 2:25 pm  #2

Re: MSR guardian water purifier

Bob thanks for posting this. I need to replace my MSR MiniWorks at the end of this season (had it for 6 years, and it's time for a new one) and I was just going to replace it with the same model. Definitely considering this technology instead. Self cleaning? 2.5L per minute? Yeah. Definitely checking this out.

8/15/2015 4:28 pm  #3

Just bought a GravityWorks at MEC yesterday, replacing the Miniworks that's been giving me a sore wrist (and, yes, consistently clean water) for 10+ years. I've been dreaming of the effortless system for years, and will be testing it out on numerous trips over the next three weeks.

-MattJ

8/17/2015 5:01 am  #4

Is that a new version of the miniworks? I like my miniworks but it's not the fastest. I did pick up a gravity filter that I use with a water bag.  Much lighter than my miniworks. Pretty fast without any effort.

8/17/2015 7:14 am  #5

It doesnt look like it's the replacement for the Miniwoks, as they still offer it.. that and it's in a totally different price category, so its unlikely this will be the replacement.
 $360 plus tax now has me thinking I'll just stick with the miniworks - I wonder how much the replacement cartridges will be? Looks amazing, but more than what I need in APP, and more than I want to spend. Rather get a new huge sil-tarp AND a filter for that price.. (ha and some other odds and ends too!) Still though, watch the demo videos, it's a damn cool product. Very innovative.

8/17/2015 9:16 am  #6

Peek: where are you finding the price?

8/17/2015 10:22 am  #7

There are a couple of new options hitting the market over the next year. Naked filter is another one. It's basically a bottle top filter that requires no pumping and very little squeezing. If water gets through, it is purified. Each filter is only good for about 100 litres. When you do the math it still works out cheaper than the Micropure, I currently use. I might try these.

8/17/2015 10:23 am  #8

nakedfilter.com

8/17/2015 10:25 am  #9

Youtube links. Yay!

8/17/2015 10:49 am  #10

Bob - it's not the official cascade design website, but this was where I found the price: http://www.outsideonline.com/2005741/msr-guardian-water-filter

given the technology, I'm not surprised it's in the $300+ range...

8/17/2015 3:11 pm  #11

Was talking to some Appalachian Trail thru-hikers over the weekend and basically ALL of thems swear by the Sawyer water filtration systems.  I had really bad luck with my last MSR pump filter (throughput was terrible, which certainly could have been user error, but I never figured it out) so I'm likely to try something else the next time.

https://sawyer.com/products/type/water-filtration/

8/17/2015 4:03 pm  #12

Here is another one by MSR that works realy fast.  You can fill a 1lt bottle in less than 30 seconds when it's clean.  It does have a little learning curve to backflush the filter.
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/water/treatment/hyperflow-microfilter/product

8/17/2015 4:05 pm  #13

I do have the sawyer mini that I use and it works great so far

1/15/2016 7:38 pm  #14

So the MSR Guardian is now available for pre-order at MEC, with a hefty price tag: $395. Price notwithstanding, I've ordered it. Obviously it will be a few months until I get a chance to try it out, but I'll post my impressions of it once I've had it out on a camping trip. 

1/17/2016 12:02 pm  #15

That naked filter looks brilliant. Have looked at other bottle filter options but they seem to have big gaps in what they protect against.

Wouldn't replace my gravity filter but would be great to have in the canoe in the heat of the day fishing or traveling. Unlimited supply of clean water.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

1/18/2016 9:01 am  #16

Peek wrote:

Bob thanks for posting this. I need to replace my MSR MiniWorks at the end of this season (had it for 6 years, and it's time for a new one) and I was just going to replace it with the same model. Definitely considering this technology instead. Self cleaning? 2.5L per minute? Yeah. Definitely checking this out.

Why replace so quick? Mine is 23 years old. and used. Not needing replacement unless I am missing something.

The Guardian is great for the tropics and perhaps if you are travelling with a big big group..

1/18/2016 1:19 pm  #17

I was so intrigued by the Naked filter and the idea of just leaving it in my under seat storage bag that I went looking around.again.

Didn't realize Sawyer had a bottle filter. Filters the same things as the Sawyer mini and squeeze.

https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-personal-water-bottle-filter/

Anyone have one? Use One? 

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.