You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/13/2020 1:13 pm  #1

Turns out BO does know-This year it's Pike

Hello All, 

Here looking for a little trip planning/ fishing advice once again. Quick recap on last year's end of may Trout trip:

Caught a 20 inch Laker on my second cast, and was loving life!  Unfortunately it was the only one  From BO,"I think you meant to say you are starting your trip from Magetawan Lake (Access 3) instead of Rain Lake (Access 4), Me, "Nope meant 3" BO, Yeah makes sense if you like to portagePlanned 4K of portaging on Day 1 did a 1.2K shortly followed by a 1.4K- Back was destroyed, and didn't continue on. Turns out BO does know! And I do not enjoy portaging, this year's trip is going to be far less ambitious.  

I was wondering if anyone has any insight on pike fishing on:
Somke
Ragged 
Rock
Pen 
Booth

Planning a 3 night trip end of may, and these lakes made the short list.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

3/13/2020 4:00 pm  #2

Re: Turns out BO does know-This year it's Pike

Booth is the only lake of those listed that contains pike, and with any luck it will stay that way. Pike are incredibly destructive to a lake ecosystem and introductions should be avoid at all costs. Apparently the pike fishing in Booth is pretty good. Go there, fish often, eat freely and enjoy!

3/14/2020 4:33 am  #3

I don't mind sharing pike fishing info... I can attest to there being pike in Booth - particularly in the large bay leading to McCarthy's (also lots of barn flies - protect your ankles!) I've been told that their are some monsters in the Shall/Depot narrows.

3/14/2020 11:13 am  #4

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll have to check out the "large bay" 

4/05/2020 3:47 pm  #5

I caught 2 or 3 decent size pike in the upper Opeongo river. Only pike i've caught in Algonquin.

4/05/2020 6:44 pm  #6

Isn’t the upper opeongo a sanctuary?

4/06/2020 6:27 am  #7

Nope, the mark on Jeff's map is there to indicate no fishing within 100 or 200 meters of the dam at the end of Annie Bay.  The rest of the river is legal in season.

4/06/2020 6:33 am  #8

@Scratchypants, did you fish either of the two bays east of McCarthy's bay?  The long slender bay with two campsites looks just OK but the large bay with the two islands looks excellent - depth maps show large areas between 5' & 10' deep with a slightly deeper stretch on the far eastern side.

We are planning a week on Booth's in August with 2-4 old kids/young adults that I'd like to get them on a toothy northern or two.  Any other insights would be welcome!

4/06/2020 8:01 am  #9

PaPaddler wrote:

Nope, the mark on Jeff's map is there to indicate no fishing within 100 or 200 meters of the dam at the end of Annie Bay.  The rest of the river is legal in season.

Sorry I looked this up after I posted and forgot to repost the answer. It's actually a sanctuary for 300 meters below the dam.

4/06/2020 10:37 am  #10

Thanks for the clarificaiton!

4/24/2020 9:17 pm  #11

Tattler is a snot rocket haven... if that is your thing.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.