You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2020 7:37 pm  #1

Large Group water filter

After years of using a PUR scout water pump and its Katadyn replacement (still called a Scout maybe?- I can't remember) I decided to try a gravity filter/bag set up 3 years ago.  I went with the Katadyn Base Camp Pro 10 L for our group of 6 or 7 backpackers.  I was very disappointed and could never get it to filter past a slow drip rate after a day or so.  Even allowing the water to settle for hours and constantly trying to keep the filter clean didn't help much at all.  Its a bad design and now I just use it as a nice water fetching bag.

Last year I bit the bullet and got the MSR guardian pump. Its amazing and we loved using it, but this year, with 9 people, Im thinking about all the pumping we'll be doing and not looking forward to it.  So, I'm thinking of another gravity system and am intrigued by the MSR autoflow XL.  Paired with a dromedary bag it looks like we could still fetch 10L of water and let gravity do its thing.  Anyone have experience with this filer?

I know the platypus has a great reputation as well.  I am a fan of everything I have ever bought from MSR and they haven't let me down so thats why I am considering it over the platypus along with the 10L over the 4L capacity for our large group. 

2/15/2020 7:22 am  #2

Re: Large Group water filter

I have been happy with the Sawyer filter I use with a dromedary bag. My son has the MSR Hyperflow and that thing can pump some water fast. You do have to make sure to back flush the filter.
I would think with such a large group that maybe a second filter may be a good idea.

2/15/2020 8:31 am  #3

Nothing but good experiences with the platypus. Has worked very well over the years. The two bag system makes cleaning / back flushing very simple. Nothing but trouble with the Katadyn. Stay away. No experience with MSR.

2/15/2020 10:58 pm  #4

High school outdoor ed teacher here. If those numb skulls (I use that term lovingly) can backwash the platypus regularly enough to prevent clogging, a group of adults will be fine. Just remember to keep it filled!

I will never endorse the base camp to anyone. It was a novel idea but agreed, the clogged flow is ridiculous

2/15/2020 10:59 pm  #5

Russ S wrote:

I have been happy with the Sawyer filter I use with a dromedary bag. My son has the MSR Hyperflow and that thing can pump some water fast. You do have to make sure to back flush the filter.
I would think with such a large group that maybe a second filter may be a good idea.

I am also a fan of the Sawyer. Mine is attached to a 1 litre Perrier bottle with bottom cut off and hung on a tree to make it gravity fed. For a larger group I would connect a 2 litre pop bottle. Bringing a spare Sawyer for back up is an excellent idea since they are so light and cheap.

2/16/2020 10:15 am  #6

I bring a Sawyer as back up in case all else fails.  I have a few connectors extra as well so we can make it an inline filter to on a hydration bag if needed.  For very little weight and space (and relatively cheap) its good peace of mind.

2/17/2020 11:06 am  #7

We've tried both the Sawyer Mini and the not-Mini version. The mini served us well for years but got out-classed at about 5 people over 3 days. The not-mini version has picked up the slack. It's fast and has stood up to some big trips with lots of people and silty rivers. We do backflush it after each trip (and sometimes in the middle of trips if it gets slow). 

2/17/2020 2:51 pm  #8

I echo MartinG's comments...been using the Platypus for a few years now and it's worked very well.  I also carry a Katadyn BeFree as a backup or for quick use on travel days; or when just out and about paddling around, fishing, etc.  This combo has yet to let me or my tripping group down...(fingers crossed).

2/17/2020 3:36 pm  #9

+4 on the Platypus. I'll be honest in saying it's the only water filter I have any experience with, but I love it so much I don't think I would even consider trying something else.

2/17/2020 9:26 pm  #10

CanoeClaire wrote:

We've tried both the Sawyer Mini and the not-Mini version. The mini served us well for years but got out-classed at about 5 people over 3 days. The not-mini version has picked up the slack. It's fast and has stood up to some big trips with lots of people and silty rivers. We do backflush it after each trip (and sometimes in the middle of trips if it gets slow). 

I use the mini and I backflush it at least once per day or else it does get slow. It only takes a minute or two and It’s nice to see the brown gunk flushed out so you know the filter is doing it’s job.

2/17/2020 9:28 pm  #11

CanoeClaire wrote:

I use the mini and I backflush it at least once per day or else it does get slow. It only takes a minute or two and It’s nice to see the brown gunk flushed out so you know the filter is doing it’s job.

2/18/2020 2:45 pm  #12

I had the exact same problem with the Katadyn pro, so following some advice from another site, i cut the filter out of the Katadyn and I just use it as the  reservoir with a Sawyer mini attached and that drains into a dromedary bag.  It’s super simple and it works great.

2/18/2020 2:52 pm  #13

CanoeJeff wrote:

I had the exact same problem with the Katadyn pro, so following some advice from another site, i cut the filter out of the Katadyn and I just use it as the reservoir with a Sawyer mini attached and that drains into a dromedary bag. It’s super simple and it works great.

that is a really good idea.  My katadyn filter just unscrews from inside the bag so that is a an easy removal.  I use the katadyn bag as a water hauler (at least its good for something) and already bring the sawyer mini as a backup so I have what I need to put that setup together.

I already bought the MSR and it arrived today.  It looks really well built and I like that there is a micromesh screen inside the bag to trap debris before getting to the filter.  Hopefully it performs well. 

Last edited by ryan72 (2/18/2020 2:54 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.