You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/04/2019 2:01 pm  #1

8 Days Solo on Basin (with Pics and Videos)

I got back yesterday from an amazing 8 days alone at Basin Lake.  My hopes were to score one of the two drive-to sites as it's always nice to be able to bring a few creature comforts and have access to the truck to explore the entire area.  Having said that I wasn't certain they'd be available so I also brought everything I needed for a paddle-in camp.

Day 1 - Alone on Basin Lake
When I arrived just after noon (after a 5+ hour drive) I was so excited to see I was the only one there, and quickly grabbed the site to the left as it was a bit more secluded.  It was pouring rain so the first thing I did was set up my 16 x 16 MEC Super Tarp (I love that thing!). 

I spent the next couple of hours setting up camp and making it home for the next 8 days. I slept in my hammock and brought my 2 down underquilts to stack underneath to keep me cozy warm.

It appeared as though there had been a forest fire there at some point as all of the small trees were dead and there were char marks on the bottoms of almost every tree there.  Anyone have any info on that?
Later in the day the weather cleared so I went out for a quite paddle just before dark.  The silence was incredible! I tried fishing but had no luck.

I returned to camp and cooked up some hot and sour soup that I had bought from a local Thai restaurant and froze.  I also cooked up some General Tao chicken on rice.
I hit the sack pretty early after a short fire, and fell asleep to the sounds of beavers gnawing on wood from across the bay.

Day 2 - Stars Over Basin Lake Cabin
I had a decent sleep (although a beaver came lumbering right through my site in the middle of the night toting a large tree, which in my head, of course, was for sure a bear lol).  After breakfast I took a drive down to the end of Basin Lake Road, scoping for animals and spots to explore.  I also checked the campsite on Buck Lake and I actually thought it was nice.  I know it's literally right on the road but in my entire time there I hardly saw any vehicle traffic at all. 
I hung around camp for a bit and cooked up some garlic bread with cheese and home-made chili on top (so good!).  Once it got dark I took a trip out to the old cabin on Basin Lake Road for some low-light pictures.  I also did a wolf howl and immediately had a pack howl back.

Solo camping is something I really do enjoy but at times it can be easy (at least I find) for the "creepy" factor to come in.  This place seemed to have some vibe to it for sure, and I know the area is rich in history.

Day 3 - Missed Photo of a Lifetime?
As of late I've been losing my mojo when it comes to taking pictures so I figured I'd start doing some macro stuff.  First thing when I got up I put my macro lens on and realized it was foggy.  After a few minutes I snapped a pic randomly to see if the fog was gone, then proceeded to go find and set up for some mushroom shots.  Here's the random pic I took (look closely, as I didn't see what was in it until 3 days later when I was going through my pics)

So about 30 minutes after snapping that random pic (which I thought had not subject at all in it) I was about 30 feet from my hammock when I looked up and saw a deer swimming across the bay right towards me.  And then I saw a beautiful white-coloured wolf on the far shore jumping and yipping like he was contemplating jumping in the lake after the deer.  The deer came to shore and bolted right past me (about 10 feet from me).  It was an awesome sight but I didn't have time to run back to get my camera to capture it.  So 3 days later when I saw that I actually had that deer pic I realized that had I known at the time, I would have put my telephoto lens on and waited for that all to unfold and possibly capture a once in a lifetime photograph

Anyway here's a mushroom shot I got instead (still kicking myself...)

Later that day I hiked the McGuey trail and it was super over-grown.  Not far in I noticed a very large and fresh pile of bear crap which had me on edge a bit.  I never used to carry any sort of bear deterrent but ever since watching that movie "Back Country" I have changed my ways and now carry spray lol.  Needless to say with the trail almost invisible I had it close at hand and was singing loudly to myself for most of the hike.  Lunch at the mid-point of the hike consisted of a pan of apple crumble and left-over breakfast sausages.

Day 4 - Evening Paddle in the Rain
I woke up that morning to the sounds of wolves howling nearby.  What an amazing way to wake up!  To this point I had still not seen another person on the entire trip. I took a short drive and explored some of the crown land surrounding the park and did my best not to get my vehicle stuck somewhere

Once back at camp I put the canoe back in the water and quietly paddled around the lake, trolling for pike (without any success of course).  Thankful I hadn't planned on fish for dinner as my fishing luck seemed to have continued for the entire trip (not even a bite!).   When I was out on the lake a light rain started to come down but it was absolutely beautiful and serene:

Once back at camp I figured it was time to actually wash my face (and other stinky areas) and brush my teeth.  Am I the only one who seems to be completely devoid of hygiene on camp trips?  After a quick freshening up I cooked up a PC turkey pot pie on my Outback Oven, which turned out amazing...

Day 5 - Hunkered Down at Camp
When I first got up it was spitting a bit but decided to hike into Foys Lake.  It was a pretty hike in and very easy as it pretty much follows an old road.
It rained pretty hard for most of the day so I puttered around camp most of the day.  I actually really enjoy sitting under a tarp in the rain, listening to the crackling fire, reading a book and sipping on coffee and whisky all day (which is exactly what I did).  I realized that what I really enjoy about these types of trips is that you really appreciate the primal needs in life: warmth, food, and protection from the elements.  It's such a simple thing but just having those 3 things makes me feel complete when I'm out there.  With my massive tarp, stock-pile of wood and plenty to eat and drink, I felt completely at ease.  I bring this DIY fire cover that helps keep the rain off the fire.  It's heavy as hell but no issues keeping a fire going even in a heavy downpour:

Day 6 - Holy Winds and Moose Head
Woke up early to the sounds of thrashing trees and my hammock and tarp were swaying like crazy.  The winds were blowing something fierce so I was a tad nervous with all the dead trees in the area.   I also had my first dusting of snow which I always enjoy in the Park.
I made a nice Pillsbury Raspberry strudel for breakfast and read a bit more of the book I brought (Adam Shoalts - Alone Against the North).  I took another drive up to the end of Basin Lake Road and filled up my water jug at the spring at Km 22.  Some hunters had killed and gutted a moose and left the remains on the side of the road, and perched the decapitated head on a log.  As I approached the area I saw a large dark wolf scatter from the scene.  Not close enough to get a pic though unfortunately.  And as far as moose sighting, that was the only one (if it actually counts?).
I also did the quick hike along the Basin Depot trail:

Day 7 - High Falls and a Flat Tire
I woke up with the plans to head to hike the High Falls trail.  I got into my truck and got the low tire pressure notification.  It was pretty low so I figured I'd try driving into Round Lake to see if I could find some air (which was an adventure in itself!).  I filled it up and proceeded to do the hike into High Falls.  It was a really scenic waterfall and another nice little hike.  When I got back to the truck, the tire pressure was way down again.  I opted to change the tire on the main road as back at Basin Lake the ground was really soft and I didn't know if I could jack it up.  I got the tire off and noticed a massive nail in it.
I headed back to camp and spent more time reading by the fire.  I also took full advantage of the really nice thunderbox at the site.  Man I could sit on that thing for hours!

Day 8 - Home
As always, I wake up and start packing up right away.  I find these days very melancholy as I know it's going to be months before I'm likely going to be able to return.  My mind shifts to "go-home" mode and I start thinking of all the things I have to back home.  I really missed the family when I was away but I really do enjoy the solo time in such a quiet, serene place.  I easily could have stayed another week.

Here's a few more random pics from the trip. Thanks for reading!

And here's a video of the entire "rough road" going into Basin Lake.  After the heavy rain some of these ruts had to be full of 11-12 inches of water...

11/04/2019 4:57 pm  #2

Re: 8 Days Solo on Basin (with Pics and Videos)

Your mushroom shots are unique. Am I right in thinking you attached a self-powered mini-LED on their backside to get the effect?

11/04/2019 5:00 pm  #3

BarryB wrote:

Your mushroom shots are unique. Am I right in thinking you attached a self-powered mini-LED on their backside to get the effect?

Ya it's actually 8 pics.  7 for the mushroom (focus stacked because the depth of field is so small on the macro lens) and then another where I held a flashlight over the mushrooms.  Then blended them in Photoshop (used layer mask to paint out my hand holding the flashlight, etc.)

11/04/2019 5:13 pm  #4

Focus stacking and a layer mask .. you really have a loaded 'toolbox' and skill set! Well done!

11/04/2019 8:24 pm  #5

Nice pics and nice trip report. I’m guessing that the light in the cabin pic was photoshopped in?

I have to say that I feel the same way about sitting in the rain, under a tarp, beside a fire, drink in hand, and out in the middle of nowhere. It’s bliss.

11/04/2019 9:22 pm  #6

Lol actually Barry I'm pretty bad at Photoshop but Youtube helps me out with figuring out how to do a few little tricks here and there

Thanks solos, I actually put my little led lantern inside the cabin which has a orange glow mode on it.  I honestly think I'd be content sitting under that tarp for the rest of my days.  Talking to the squirrels and stuff lol...

11/05/2019 12:27 pm  #7

Great report and fantastic pics. Really nice send off for the end of the season.

11/05/2019 4:33 pm  #8

Really great pictures Steve! You can make grey miserable days look wonderous. What happened to Dad? What did you think of the area? Worth the long drive?

11/05/2019 6:52 pm  #9

Thanks Martin   Dad has some health issues which precluded him from coming unfortunately.  Found out he has cancer and he started chemo 2 weeks before the trip.  Poor guy was almost in tears when he decided it wasn't best for him to come...

11/05/2019 7:40 pm  #10

Great mushrooms, watermark, impressive "selfies", super views overall.

11/05/2019 9:18 pm  #11

Great TR and photos Steve (as always)!  I was lol-ing at the thunderbox.  A couple of years ago they replaced the one on the island on Sunday lake and I had never seen such a 'pretty' thunderbox. Certainly photo-worthy after many trips using unsightly fly pits or worse.  

11/06/2019 7:48 am  #12

Steve..Wishing your Dad the very best of luck in beating  it as quickly as possible. Hope he can be back out there with you soon.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

11/06/2019 12:51 pm  #13

Thanks guys, much appreciated

11/06/2019 1:43 pm  #14

Thoughts and prayers extended to you your dad and family as you work though this difficult time - sincerely - Andy

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.