You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2019 12:18 pm  #1

August Thursday Night Wolf Howls

If you are NOT in the park during the week- does anyone know best way to find out if an actual wolf howl will be happening on any given Thursday in August. would like to monitor if one in fact ends up happening on a Thursday and if it's going to happen then make the trip in to be part of it. since it's so rare!    

8/01/2019 1:33 pm  #2

Re: August Thursday Night Wolf Howls

I can't answer this but if I might make a suggestion - try your own howls at a few different locations.  I've had surprisingly good success doing this over the years (about 20% success rate if I had to put a number on it).  Actually got to see wolves on 2 separate occasions doing this at various spots in the park.  

I think the park does the howls when they have a very high rate of probable success but failing that it never hurts to give it a try!

8/01/2019 5:26 pm  #3

Unless you are interested in the slide show and talk don't bother. There hasn't been a successful Thursday night wolf howl since 2013.

If you want to hear wolves try Basin lake late at night and Howl yourself. I have been to Basin 4 times. Heard wolves everytime.

8/02/2019 2:01 pm  #4

Oh i'm well aware of the lack of success of the official program!  and we've seen that wolf presentation once every couple of years. it would just be neat to be a part of the full deal should it every happen. we've heard them in the past on a couple of backcountry trips with my older two, but never the younger kids. thanks for the Basin Lake suggestion. the east side of the park is not something we've explored a lot as we're coming in from the west side always. but it's on the list. are those roads you see on the maps actually accessible alongside basin lake, travers and the observatory- can you actually drive up those?

8/02/2019 9:25 pm  #5

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/programs/wolf-howls.php

They post Thursday morning if there will be a howl taking place.

Absolutely go. It’s so unfortunate the lack of success recently. I worked in the park back in the late 90’s and early 00’s and it feels like every Thursday was successful back then(at least one Thursday per summer anyway). I was lucky enough to hear successful howls on several occasions but haven’t yet been able to get my kids to a successful howl.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.