You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2019 2:24 pm  #1

​Across Algonquin Park from top to bottom

After 3 cancelled spring canoe trips Yukon Cornelius and the Snot Nosed Kid get fed up and decide to take a trip across Algonquin Park. Other than in the first few minutes, I don't talk much about what we are doing. There are no Bushcraft tips or product reviews. Mostly it is just me and Scott bantering, beautiful scenes in the park and some music. I hope you like it. I really enjoyed the trip!

https://youtu.be/pBU2_cqoxzQ

6/17/2019 9:20 am  #2

Re: ​Across Algonquin Park from top to bottom

Very enjoyable!!! Thanks

6/17/2019 3:53 pm  #3

Thanks Old Boy Scout! It was a very enjoyable trip (in spite of the bugs at the end).

6/17/2019 5:03 pm  #4

Nice work, Congrats

6/18/2019 12:30 am  #5

That’s an impressive trip. I loved the video and how it’s simplicity highlighted the beauty of being in the park. I’m curious about the date you began your trip because I’d like to gauge how long, in time and in distance traveled south, that it takes to go from non-biting bugs to the swarms of mosquitoes at the end.

6/18/2019 3:25 pm  #6

Nice trip! One-way trips are amazing when you can swing that, although that must have taken you a full day to get cars at either end. It was fun watching the beginning of bug season as the days went on. I mean fun for me anyway, probably not quite so much for you. 

Great video, I really enjoyed it. 

6/18/2019 5:26 pm  #7

Thanks guys.

@Solos I react bad to bites so had a head net on even if I didn't need it. I was also pretty sick for the first 3 days of the trip. Not at my best.

June 1: Kiosk - Little Osler. It was a cooler night. A few black flies around. Not really biting.
June 2: Little Osler - Robinson. Cooler still. A few black flies. Not really biting.
June 3: Robinson - Happy Isle. Very windy. Mosquitoes on the portage to merchant.
June 4: Happy Isle - Sproule. Warming up and rain. A few mosquitoes.
June 5: Sproule - Clydegale. Bugs around Pond/Kearney Lakes.
June 6: Clydegale - Little Hay. Lower Madawaska River had typical seasonal bugs. Hay Creek was Bugpocalypse! Never seen it so bad. Something about the creek. can't account for it with a day and 20k of travel. 
June 7: Little Hay - park border. Bugs out in full force. Bad, but not like the Hay Creek Bugpocalypse. Just typical June bugs.

Honestly, everything was totally manageable with a bug net during the day and bug tent for eating. I did have a couple of bug meltdowns but that says more about me being a spaz than anything. Scott was totally fine. Water of a ducks back for him.

@Uppa - God I wish I brought my chair  And yeah 750km of driving on the last day for me.

Last edited by MartinG (6/18/2019 5:31 pm)

6/19/2019 5:11 am  #8

Simply a great video! Love all the scenic footage--I also love the fact there are leaves on the trees, unlike when I passed through the top end last month. Will look forward to your next offering!

6/19/2019 8:39 am  #9

Great work MartinG!  Looks like a great trip

6/24/2019 9:47 am  #10

Really impressive journey Martin!  Thanks for posting, was fun to watch.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.