You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/18/2019 6:23 pm  #1

Leaking Tarp

So my MEC tarp (about 10 years old) is leaking from the centre seam as the tape is cracking and crumbling.  I'm ok to just run a bead of seam sealer on the outside (other side of the tarp) directly on the seam, right?  I know it won't look pretty but I don't really care about that.  I'm assuming seam sealing right over the flaking/cracked seam tape is probably not the best idea?

5/18/2019 6:57 pm  #2

Re: Leaking Tarp

Equal parts mineral spirits and GE silicone II. Applied to the outside with a foam brush works great. Like this:

https://youtu.be/BDLVCXRTHKU

5/19/2019 9:19 am  #3

MartinG wrote:

Equal parts mineral spirits and GE silicone II. Applied to the outside with a foam brush works great. Like this:

https://youtu.be/BDLVCXRTHKU

Used this method on a tent 2 weeks ago. Works best if you err on the side of thicker than thinner. Make sure you have a good 3-4 hours of good weather for it to dry. If it might rain over night just bring it inside and throw it over something till morning to finish it up.

Last edited by ShawnD (5/19/2019 9:20 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/21/2019 11:57 am  #4

Thanks guys...what's the advantage to this as opposed to a pre-made substance like Seam Grip?

5/21/2019 3:50 pm  #5

It depends on whether your tarp is Polyurethane or Silicone coated. Standard seam grip will not stick to silicone coated fabrics. it is meant for polyurethane coated fabrics. If you are buying something for siltarps it should be SilNet or some other commercially available seam sealer intended for Silicone coated fabrics. Silicone based sealers will also work on polyurethane coated tarps.

Anyway commercial silcone based seam sealer are basically silicone and mineral spirits. You can buy 1 1/2 ounces for $15 or use readily available household products ie. GE Silicone II / Mineral Spirits. I already have these around the house.

5/21/2019 3:53 pm  #6

Steve one advantage is you can mix up just what you need.

IMO no matter how tightly you screw on the cap for stuff like seam grip the tube is done once you open it. It will be hard the next time you go back to use it.

Edit: Martin makes a good point I just assumed you are talking about a silnylon tarp. My comment about drying out was from my experience the seam grip+Sil product.

Last edited by ShawnD (5/21/2019 8:03 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/22/2019 8:06 am  #7

Thanks guys I might have to give that a shot!

5/24/2019 8:24 am  #8

... and to think I was just gonna suggest more duct tape ...

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.