You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/16/2019 8:18 am  #1

Foot wear for spring portaging

Hi everyone,

I'm heading out to Burnt Island lake with the wife and dog for a 4 day trip this long weekend. I don't have much experience with trips this early in the season so I'm wondering what people are wearing for foot wear with the lakes being so icy cold and the potential for lots of mud. During the warmer months I just wear Keen Newports and they are a good balance of support and ability to trudge through rocky or muddy lake bottoms. 

I'm considering just getting some cheap wellies from Crappy Tire. The amount of portaging from Canoe Lake to Burnt Island isn't vast so I figure these will do for short distances. Or should I just brave the cold water and wear the Newports? I see some people wear neoprene boots but I'm not a fan of the lack of sole support. 

Opinions greatly appreciated!

5/16/2019 8:36 am  #2

Re: Foot wear for spring portaging

I have hunter-style boots for spring portaging, but a word of advice- get the insulated ones with drawstrings at the top and replace the cord with elastic- it's amazing how often that puddle or landing looks to be a few inches deep but turns out to be 2' and the elastic helps keep the top sealed.
Also get them loose enough to easily kick off (another reason for the elastic- it stretches) in case you do dump, it's almost impossible to swim with them on!

5/16/2019 9:28 am  #3

In cold water I wear NEOS overshoes. They are almost knee-high waterproofs to wear over regular hiking boots. They are light enough and tough enough that you can wear them on portages, even on tough terrain, but you don't have to -  they are very easily put on/off.

5/16/2019 10:02 pm  #4

I think last time I wore my salomon equivalent of your keens and brought a pair of crocks to wear once at the site, allowing the boots to at least try to dry before the next day.

5/17/2019 8:22 am  #5

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. 

scoutergriz: Good points about safety with wearing welly style boots. I try not to think about swamping the boat. But having something you can kick off quickly would be very important. 

EddyTurn: I've never heard of these NEOS. Super cool design! I think these might be what I eventually will settle on as a long term solution. 

Shark: I think I'm going to go with this idea for this year and see if I still have circulation in my feet by the time I reach Burnt Island!

5/17/2019 9:22 am  #6

THese sorts of boots are my go-to in cold/wet while tripping.  Comfy, dry, supportive, strong.

https://www.muckbootcompany.com/collections/men-style-tall-boots/products/mens-edgewater-hi-boots?variant=12625568530526

5/17/2019 10:26 am  #7

PaPaddler wrote:

THese sorts of boots are my go-to in cold/wet while tripping.  Comfy, dry, supportive, strong.

https://www.muckbootcompany.com/collections/men-style-tall-boots/products/mens-edgewater-hi-boots?variant=12625568530526

Do these kinds of boots breathe well or do you find you get a lot of moisture trapped inside?

5/17/2019 12:19 pm  #8

I think they breath fairly well.  I mean, some moisture may build up, and I'm a pretty sweaty guy, but when wearing these in cooler temps I haven't noticed a substantial buildup.  I'd say I got barely moist, but by no means wet.  I was really happy with how well they worked but I wouldn't wear them in warmer temps - then it's just sneakers or water shoes since staying warm and dry isn't even a bother.

I do wear long socks to prevent bare skin from being against the material of the boot - it can get icky without that layer.

5/17/2019 12:22 pm  #9

And I would add that they breath much better than your classic rubber boot.  Those stink...in more ways than one.

5/17/2019 12:24 pm  #10

This is a great thread....I usually wear crocs (and couple them with Sealskinz socks in the shoulder seasons) but I like the idea of a taller, more waterproof boot...

5/18/2019 5:37 am  #11

EddyTurn wrote:

In cold water I wear NEOS overshoes. They are almost knee-high waterproofs to wear over regular hiking boots. They are light enough and tough enough that you can wear them on portages, even on tough terrain, but you don't have to -  they are very easily put on/off.

These things are amazing.
I went on a snowmobiling trip this past winter with a large group of military dudes and they all had NEOS - it was my first time every seeing them. Turns out they are a standard piece of military kit. They are on the top of my list for things to buy before the fall. It was -40 out and all these guys wore plain jane running shoes under them and never had an issue, and when we got to the next Lodge or hotel they could just take off the over-boot and they have clean dry running shoes to wear. Very cool design.

Last edited by ATVenture (5/18/2019 5:38 am)

5/18/2019 7:04 am  #12

I'm really intrigued by these Neos...Couple of questions:
1.  ATVenture were the guys wearing the insulated version of them?  I see they come in a standard and insulated version.  I wonder how warm the insulated ones are and if those would be the ones to get for shoulder season tripping?
2.  Does anyone know where you can get these in Ontario?  I'd be reluctant to buy these without being able to try on first...although I guess sizing would also depend on what you were wearing under them?

5/18/2019 11:10 am  #13

+1 for the NEOS

Full Spectrum Gear in Petawawa sells them.  I got a couple of pairs there - one to fit over running shoes and one to fit over hiking shoes.  Mine are the uninsulated ones, but are surprisingly warm.  Definitely recommend trying them on to make sure they fit over whatever footgear you want to use them with.

5/18/2019 3:13 pm  #14

I just popped into Sail and they had a pair.  Tried them on and they felt kinda klunky, although I think they were too big.  I need to go back with the boots I would wear with them to see if they fit a bit better (which I assume they would)

5/18/2019 4:00 pm  #15

Steve E wrote:

I just popped into Sail and they had a pair.  Tried them on and they felt kinda klunky, although I think they were too big.  I need to go back with the boots I would wear with them to see if they fit a bit better (which I assume they would)

Yes, best to try them on with the boots you'd wear with them.  You want the NEOS to fit tightly around the edge of your boot/shoe so they don't slop around when you walk.  Makes it a little trickier to put them on, but then they don't feel like extra boots.

5/18/2019 4:04 pm  #16

The Neos do look pretty good but I really question moisture build-up inside them... I see they have a rubber-like liner on the inside.  I'm assuming they don't breathe very well.  Does the footwear you wear inside them get soaked with moisture?

5/18/2019 6:09 pm  #17

@Steve they are not all the same. I find the Neos Navigators are clunky. I have the Voyageurs. They are quite a bit lighter. Neos do not breathe at all. Just water proof. Never thought to wear them as a canoe tripping boot. If I were wearing them in the spring I would size them for a pair of trail hikers.

The best spring footwear is something that will keep you warm when you get wet. I run rivers and rarely base camp. So I'm in the water a fair bit. I gave up on trying to stay dry years ago. For me the NRS Workboot is the best spring tripping shoe. Or, any good traction 3/4 height runner with a thick pair of neoprene socks.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.