You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2019 4:40 pm  #1

Nipissing River - Can I Travel Upstream??

Hi friends,

Wondering if we (2 seasoned, fit paddlers) can tackle any/all (?) parts of the nip heading UPSTREAM...we're interested in starting at Tim Lake this May and exploring the river between the Allen Rapids and High Falls (as recommended by Callan) and returning back the same way (i.e. upstream on the nip) to Tim Lake...is this doable and what impact might it have on indicated travel times (as per Jeff's map)?...looking at Jeff's map, I suppose another option would be to make it a loop and return through Burntroot, Shipagew and (up) the Tim River...is that doable? Would you recommend one option over the other? Are there better alternate routes/starting points to explore this area? Any and all thoughts, feedback and ideas would be most welcome! Many thanks 

4/01/2019 5:15 pm  #2

Re: Nipissing River - Can I Travel Upstream??

I don't think there's any route in Algonquin that can't be done in either direction. The Nip is a pretty lazy river for the most part - you'll be against the current, but not that much current.

4/01/2019 7:33 pm  #3

Thanks Uppa!

4/05/2019 7:21 pm  #4

Actually the current is fairly strong in that area.  I just went through there last year and vividly recall thinking that I wouldn't want to paddle UPSTREAM in this area. The river is as Uppa indicated, fairly lazy in most stretches. But this area as rapids and is a little faster moving.

Can you do it?  Sure.  Would I want to?  Nope.

4/05/2019 8:28 pm  #5

6 of us travelled from high falls to Rosebary last May. Sure its harder going up than down but nothing to write home about. The worst thing that can happen is you miss the Allan Rapids Portage marker and end up paddling up Allan Raps. We weren't paying attention and that happened to us last year. Ended up getting out at the campsite partway along the Allan Raps port.

Note, when going downstream on the Nip you can cut off 1/3rd of the port by putting back in to the river at this campsite.

4/05/2019 10:52 pm  #6

I have to agree with Martin.  My friend and I, both in our mid 40's, did the trip you are suggesting last June when the water levels were at their highest - heavy rain all the week before we left.  We traveled as far Kelly Creek Junction and traveled up and down the Nip from there for a couple of days and then back out.  It was of course easier to paddle downstream but was more than doable against the current.

4/09/2019 3:16 pm  #7

Hi goneagainjon,

My 14 year old son and I did the 2nd option you mentioned above, last spring. Don't have time for a huge writeup write now, but here's the basics. I'll try to add more detail later:

7 days, 130 km, 16km of that portages
Put in: Tim Lake
Take out: Tim Lake
General route: Tim River, Loontail and Latour, down the Nip, Up to Remona (2 km uphill; almost killed me!), lake jumping to Burntroot, down through Longer, then Shippagew, then up the Tim to Rosebary, then up to Tim Lake.
Doable? yes. Going up river fun, not really. But we made it. Averaged 18km a day total travel. If we were in better shape, would have been less painful. Save lots of time for the uphill on the Tim. Slow going, very windy. Have a good map and GPS with you, easy to get sidetracked coming up the Tim to Rosebary. We had to hop literally 12-15 beaver dams. But most were washed out.

Good luck if you go that way. PM me if you want more details.

4/09/2019 4:38 pm  #8

I'm almost certain I did this trip as a teenager with my dad about 35 years ago.  The Allen Rapids portage became almost a mythical beast over the years as we recounted trudging our way through way back then. 

I would love to do this again with my dad (he's 73 now) in the fall (likely October).  Any idea how long of a paddle it would be from Tim Lake to the High Falls area?  We are strong paddlers but enjoy time around camp so wouldn't want to paddle more than 5 or 6 hours day.  Is that something we could do in 6 or 7 days, taking our time (entire trip - coming back out the same way we came in)? 

4/15/2019 4:15 pm  #9

I can't comment on going back up the Nip. As I said above, we went up the Tim on the way out. I HAVE done parts of the Nip upstream, and found it harder than the Tim - more water overall, and more current.

I don't see how you could get to High Falls in less than 3 days if you're only going to paddle 5-6 hours a day, and you want to take your time in camp. Last year my 14 year old son and I did the whole loop in 7 days, and while we fished, we didn't have time to stop and fish for very long most days, in order to stay on schedule. I wouldn't say I'm an expert paddler, but we're both definitely intermediate.

It's a beautiful trip. Be warned though that the trip back up the Tim can be a slog, especially the last 10-20k or so, with a crazy amount of meanders and at least 12-15 beaver dams.

Good luck if you go.

T

4/15/2019 8:57 pm  #10

Steve E wrote:

Any idea how long of a paddle it would be from Tim Lake to the High Falls area?  We are strong paddlers but enjoy time around camp so wouldn't want to paddle more than 5 or 6 hours day.  Is that something we could do in 6 or 7 days, taking our time (entire trip - coming back out the same way we came in)? 

I agree with Timmu: it's a tight schedule. I took this trip through Rosebary lake. It's probably longer than Bob's lake route, but might be easier. Anyway, FWIW my single-carry timing was as follows: AP2 to Rosebary 4 hrs; to High dam (in low water) 4.5 hrs; to P875 (Gibson portage) 4 hrs; to Graham's Dam 6 hrs (including negotiating 3-4 serious dead falls on portages and one on the river, it was 2016). In good water and portage conditions it would be around 16 hours plus you need another couple hours to get to High falls.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.