You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2019 7:25 pm  #1

Hogan - Catfish - Cedar - Radiant - Philip - Hogan - which direction?

So I've been spending the last few days staring at the Algonquin map thinking about camping trips, and the current frontrunner would include looping from Hogan back to Hogan. Would you rather be downstream on the Madawaska through Philip to Radiant, or downstream on the Petawawa (and Unicorn Hill)?

1/31/2019 8:54 pm  #2

Re: Hogan - Catfish - Cedar - Radiant - Philip - Hogan - which direction?

Counter Clockwise

1/31/2019 8:54 pm  #3

In a canoe 

1/31/2019 9:09 pm  #4

MartinG wrote:

Counter Clockwise

+1 for counterclockwise.

I did this same trip in 2013 clockwise and had an amazing time, but if I was going again I'd definitely go counterclockwise. Great route, great lakes, great campsites! You won't regret it regardless of the direction you choose (but go counterclockwise).

Last edited by Peek (1/31/2019 9:10 pm)

1/31/2019 9:10 pm  #5

I know why you do this Martin. You feel the power of the kayak side of the force. It... calls to you.

1/31/2019 9:12 pm  #6

Welp, if both Martin and Peek say counterclockwise, counterclockwise it is. Thanks!

1/31/2019 10:47 pm  #7

I did this exact loop a few years back.  I went UP the Petawawa.  There are some long ports on this route, hopefully your food pack is lighter after Phillip.

2/01/2019 10:03 am  #8

I have never done Radiant L to Hogan, so I can't speak to those portages, however Unicorn Hill is much easier going clockwise, and in addition I have done the Radiant to Cedar stretch counter clockwise and I was wishing I was going the other direction... 
Also, I have never done the Catfish to Sunfish part, but when leaving Catfish on my way to Perley I always wondered where the actual path to Sunfish was located due to the vegetation... might be easier to navigate when leaving Sunfish. Hope this helps and enjoy the trip. This is a great area of the Park! Can't wait to see the trip reports!

2/01/2019 10:07 am  #9

Oh, and beating into the wind on Cedar can always be an enlightening experience... she can be a beast.

2/01/2019 10:41 am  #10

I've been through the stretch between Catfish and Hogan before and yeah, it can be a little less than obvious finding your way through Sunfish (especially later in the season), but this is probably going to be my ice-out trip so no worries there. Philip through Radiant until I reach Cedar will be new territory for me, the rest I've been through a few times. 

As to paddling into the wind, I use a superior form of transportation so that's not much of an issue ;). 

2/01/2019 2:25 pm  #11

Right, sorry, I forgot you were a Kayaker. I'll dumb it down a bit for you.

The only portages that really matter from a direction point of view are Unicorn Hill and the Little Madawaska ports. I would much rather go up the 2345 unicorn Hill portage, than go up the 3565/1085/1495 on the Little Madawaska. When water is high the bottom of the Little Mad going in to Radiant can be a pushy little bugger. Easier to go down than up in the spring. 

Since you are a Dam Yakker wind isn't really an issue.

Last edited by MartinG (2/01/2019 2:28 pm)

2/01/2019 3:39 pm  #12

MartinG wrote:

Easier to go down than up in the spring. 

At least I don't have to wonder why you prefer canoes. Anyone who believes gravity only exists one season out of four may not have the soundest judgement...

Edit: in case anyone else is wondering, Martin and I are just messing with each other. Not only do I like the guy, I kind of sort of even respect him. 

Last edited by Uppa (2/01/2019 5:21 pm)

2/01/2019 5:43 pm  #13

Phew!

2/01/2019 7:40 pm  #14

We did most of this route clockwise in 2017.  The Madawaska current was persitent but not a show stopper.  The first 100m out of Radiant made us wonder for a few minutes, but after that it was manageable.  I don’t remember much of an incline on the 3000+ portage along the Madawaska, but there were enough mosquitoes to ensure we kept moving either way that year.

If we were to do the route again we would probably go counter clock wise, but only because it would make it a bit different.  We didn’t encounter anything that made us regret the decision.

2/03/2019 8:56 pm  #15

You've already got your answer (counter clockwise), but I did a larger version of this trip last year, and going down the last stretch of the Little Madawaska I passed a canoe going the other way.  There was quite a current and it wasn't until we passed each other that I fully appreciated that I was heading in the right direction.  Going up the Petawawa was no big deal.  The portages were short but tiring after a long day.

Nothing else in that loop I can remember being overly 'directional'.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.