You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/22/2015 8:04 am  #1

Tim Lake - 4 Campsites or 5?

I'm looking at the online reservation system for the Park and it's showing that there are only 4 sites on Tim Lake.  I am pretty sure there are 5 sites on that lake...two on the Island and three on the east shore...am I missing something or am I remembering incorrectly?

9/22/2015 8:07 am  #2

Re: Tim Lake - 4 Campsites or 5?

overflow Steve, overflow! Many lakes reserve less than capacity to allow for delayed/wind bound/injured/whatever travellers who may be stuck on a lake they're not supposed to be on, or can't continue for some reason.. or whatever. A lot of lakes have booking capped at approx. 80% of capacity for this reason

9/22/2015 8:14 am  #3

Ah I kind of thought that was the case...thanks Peek !

9/22/2015 11:56 am  #4

There are actually 3 sites on the island but I've yet to hear of someone staying on the west side location.

9/22/2015 12:02 pm  #5

That's right I do recall seeing that one as well...

9/22/2015 2:14 pm  #6

We always knew that some of the sites were not reserveable but the new map system of booking shows exactly how many are held back. I booked a site on Islet Lake for the past August long weekend for my daughters group and was surprised to see 3 sites allowed. Islet has 7 canoe sites and 5 backpacking sites. I wonder what the thinking was with such a wide range of reservables and the big variance in numbers  between lakes?

9/23/2015 10:18 am  #7

spicol wrote:

There are actually 3 sites on the island but I've yet to hear of someone staying on the west side location.

Pretty sure that's the one we stayed on, years ago.

It's great if you like being in a wind tunnel. 

Just like the site on the west side of the island on Rain Lake.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

9/26/2015 10:39 am  #8

Just got back from there, yep 5 sites. 3 on the island.  East facing site on the island quite protected from west  winds due to hill behind site. 

9/26/2015 5:38 pm  #9

IMO the middle east side camp site (land side. not island) is hands down the best of all of the sites on Tim.

Last edited by Andy W (9/26/2015 5:39 pm)

9/26/2015 5:40 pm  #10

What is it you like so much about that site Andy?

9/26/2015 5:46 pm  #11

Hi Steve. To answer your question:
1) Higher elevation, giving a great view of the lake.
2) Lots of room for numerous tent spots
3) Good breeze to keep the bugs down
4) Great sunsets
5) Nice entry/exit for the canoe

9/26/2015 5:48 pm  #12

Hmm I may have to check that one out.  I've always been partial to the one beside it in the south east corner of the lake.  It's a little out of the way, has a great view of the lake as well, and has a huge marsh area to it's left and behind it (great for wildlife...). 

9/26/2015 5:55 pm  #13

To clarify the site i'm talking about,  is labeled as #2 on Barry's PCI project. I would definatly check it out. my brother and I stayed on #3 our first night into the park and coming out, were able to check out many of the sites (lot of them were open). Fell in love with #2 on our last night in the park.

Edited: If I understand the one you are refering to (on the island), it faces the site I'm talking about, across from the lake. We actually spent time checking that one out but there wasn't much of a shore line and the site was pretty hilly without much level ground.

Last edited by Andy W (9/26/2015 6:00 pm)

9/26/2015 5:59 pm  #14

Yup I'm framiliar with that one.  #3 is the one I am refering to.  Usually the first thing we do when we get to a lake is paddle around to all the open sites to scope them out.  The things I look for:
1. Nice view
2. Level tent area(s)
3. Usable trees for tarping
4. Wildlife viewing spots

We'll have to have a nother scope of the three sites on the east side.  The one on the top right of the lake (leading into the Tim River) looked decent as well.

9/26/2015 6:04 pm  #15

You won't go wrong with any of them !!! Just being in APP is enough for me if you know what I mean!  Have a great time with you Dad and Son, Steve! Looking forward to hearing all about it.  P.S. Keep your eyes open on the trip down the Tim into Tim Lake. There was a HUGE Bull that we saw going in.

9/26/2015 6:05 pm  #16

Thanks Andy!  My little guy is SO excited and is really hoping to see his first moose...A big bull would be a great treat   When were you there Andy?

9/26/2015 6:35 pm  #17

This past July .. I'll have to dig out a few pics of the big guy as well as the camp site for you

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.