You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/15/2015 10:41 am  #1

It's getting cold up here!

At long last I was able to get away on my solo canoe trip up to the park.I typically head in mid to late May or early June. I went up to Kiosk early in the season on a solo front country trip and took the family for a weekend as well but the solo canoe trip is what I always love the most.

Taking full advantage of my schedule at work I booked 4 days/3 nights up on Magnetewan. Checking the online system and seeing the lake wasn't busy at all I chose not to make a reservation, total price for camping, $36.00! Can't beat that value. Essentials by Zen, on Flickr

Reserved my canoe through Derek and the great folks up at Canoe Algonquin! Always a pleasure to deal with and I got to paddle a new kevlar fusion boat. Very nice paddling canoe, however my knees are starting to disagree with me, even with cushioning...I'm starting to think I might need to invest in a Swift Keewaydin (more on that later in the report)

With the car all packed up I got on the road a little late and still had to stop at the cottage to grab my paddle, then hit Huntsville for the LCBO, groceries, Bulk Barn and to grab a quick bite. With all the errands done the trip to Kearney went by in a flash and I was in getting my permit sorted out by the friendly staff. Swinging by Canoe Algonquin to get my rental key and to chat with Derek and then off to the access point.

The road in was very nice, only a couple of rough sections. The weather was beautiful, temps in the 20's, clear skies and not a soul to be seen. Until the access point! Reaching the access I saw both parking lots pretty full with a couple people putting in. A brief chat, loaded the canoe and pushed off for the paddle around the lake. All 4 sites were available and I decided on the one closest to the portage to Hambone. I like the view as well as the size of the site. 
Familiar orange by Zen, on Flickr

Home for the nights by Zen, on Flickr

Getting up later on in the day I set up camp and got a fire going and prepped for dinner, a steak as per tradition on my first night. A nice Laphroaig to wash it down hit the spot. Dinner was followed by marshmallows and S'Mores, lots of them! Prep by Zen, on Flickr

Steaks on by Zen, on Flickr

After a bit of a cloudy night with no real stars to shoot, I called it a night and crawled in to the sleeping bag. I awoke nice and early and it was cold. Overnight the temps had dropped to single digits, +7 I learned later. Thankfully my bag was rated to 0 and the Exped mat underneath kept my toasty, until I had to get out of it!

Breakfast was a delicious meal of scrambled eggs, with salami, peppers, onions, garlic and tomatoes all cooked up over a nice fire. Realizing that I had left my dish soap at home I headed in to Kearney to grab a couple supplies before heading back. Along the access road I stopped at a small falls to test out a new filter I bought.  After a quick lunch I headed for a paddle around the lake before heading over into Hambone and then into Bice. Cascadia by Zen, on Flickr

Rock chute by Zen, on Flickr

After a bit of a day tripping hunger was setting in and always the gourmet, I got a fire going and cooked up some delicious hot dogs! Once again, followed by many, many helpings of marshmallows and S'Mores! Golden delicious by Zen, on Flickr

The night sky was a little cloudy as the sun set, but as I sat by the roaring fire the skies began to clear and the stars came out to play. It's probably one of my favourite things about camping. Sitting there under the blanket of stars, the Milky Way stretching from the horizon and a fire, I grabbed the camera and dabbled with some long exposures. Warmth by Zen, on Flickr 

Skim milky by Zen, on Flickr

Under milky skies by Zen, on Flickr

Sleep came quickly and I never sleep as well as I do up in the north. I awoke early, before the sun had risen and it was cold! Vacating the tent briefly was a cold mad dash! As I got back in to bed to get another hour or so I heard it, the tiny pitter patter of rain. Sure enough, it started to rain, and why not! It has rained on every single trip I have takin to Algonquin in the past 5 years now. Rainy MEC days by Zen, on Flickr

My plan for Sunday was to day trip up to Mubwayaka and in to David Cr. in hopes of spotting some wildlife. WIth the rain coming down I altered my plan, the beauty of solo travel! I headed in to town and grabbed some dry wood as dinner was to be more hot dogs. 

It was still raining as I got back to the lake so I dropped off my wood and then headed out without the camera to do the route. I saw numerous groups heading out of the park and chatted with most of them. Informing people of the Blue Jays sweep of the DL seemed to be the news to cheer them up as they paddled out of the park in the rain.

Without a camera bag or day pack travel was fast, even on Bice which was a tad windy and wavy. Sticking close to shore I made it up through David and into Mubwya. Such a beautiful lake, with two decent sites.

Getting back to camp I started a fire using some dry dead standing that had been left cut down by the crews who do the trail maintenance. After another scrumptious meal of hot dogs and marshmallows I sat by the fire, the rain drizzling on and off I decided to make it an early night and crawled in to bed.

I awoke just before the crack of six and peered out of tent to see a lake fogged in! A perfect time to grab a few shots and to hit the water. Paddling around the lake, gliding on the smooth water and listening to the Loons call out made me want to never leave. I stopped paddling and just floated in the fog until I had to head back. Morning mist by Zen, on Flickr

Into the mist by Zen, on Flickr

Sunrise paddle by Zen, on Flickr

After a quick easy breakfast of oatmeal I tore down camp, loaded up and paddled out to the access, where Derek was already loading up boats, talk about an early riser! We chatted for awhile before I packed up the car and hit the road. With stops at Whiskey Rapids trail and Ragged Falls planned I crusied down 11 to 60, hit Kawartha Dairy and then headed back in to the park I can't get enough of. K-Dairy by Zen, on Flickr

I stopped in at Swift to check out the boats and I really liked what I Saw in the Keewaydin 15. My family and I are heading up for the day this coming Saturday so I may have to test paddle one! 

The Whiskey Rapids trail has always been one of my faves. I spent a lot of time there as a kid sliding down the rapids with all the other crazy park visitors!! After a nice hike through the trail I made my way out to Ragged Falls, still one of my absolute favourite waterfalls. Heading up from the bottom involved a lot of scrambling on the rocks and logs but it afforded some great angles to view the falls. I lingered here taking shots before finally admitting it was time to head back to civilization. Whisky by Zen, on Flickr

Rugged by Zen, on Flickr

Next years trip is already in the planning stages, a hammock, hopefully a pack boat and a nice loop route is sounding like the plan!

Bonus shots:
Paddle on by Zen, on Flickr

Pitchers by Zen, on Flickr

Algonquin glow by Zen, on Flickr

As it sets by Zen, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed the report. All the pics can be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/zenslens/albums/72157658668789475

Cheers,
Zen

9/15/2015 10:56 am  #2

Re: It's getting cold up here!

bravo,,,more photos,, 

9/15/2015 12:34 pm  #3

Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing!

9/15/2015 1:07 pm  #4

Wow! Those are some great pictures.

9/15/2015 1:57 pm  #5

Very Very Nice !!

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

9/15/2015 2:06 pm  #6

The galaxy with the clouds. Wow. Well done. 
Marko

9/15/2015 3:44 pm  #7

Wow great pictures.  Which axe do you have that looks just like my Gransfors forest axe.  Great axes.!!!!

9/15/2015 4:25 pm  #8

Wow awesome shots!  My favorites are the marshmallow by the fire (love the framing) and the sunset with the stars above...fantastic

9/15/2015 6:04 pm  #9

You guys inspire me to up my photography skills.  Nice shots.!

9/15/2015 9:06 pm  #10

You should have seen all the wood at that site in the spring after they cut down that tree! I had some nice fires there during the cold spring weather this year. I was actually on that site for an hour or so the same day you arrived. I think I've spent 4 or 5 nights on it this year but I don't like the large amount of canoe traffic in the summer. Nice pics! Here is a pic I took with the exact view as your last one back in the spring... Yours is much better though!

Last edited by token (9/15/2015 9:28 pm)

9/15/2015 10:21 pm  #11

Wow, I'm overwhelmed at the response! Thanks for all the kind words guys :D 

Russ, it is the Gransfors Forest Axe, I love it. Fits perfectly on the pack as well so easy to carry and really, just a beautiful piece of kit.

Thanks Steve!  That star shot was ages in the making, the clouds were blocking the view for quite awhile but I couldn't see them with my eyes. That was also looking south, so not sure why the sky was light like that to be honest, I didn't think it would be light pollution.

Token, there are still a few (about 8) of those large stumps on the site, a few used as seats and the others stacked...and partly burnt. There were two nice pieces of recently felled standing dead, I used most of it for firewood, burnt great, lots of resin and the smell was amazing  :D  The site is really good minus the passing traffic, but I don't mind it too much, plus it's quieter this time of year. The site I really like on the lake was free, the one closest to the portage to Little Eagle. 

9/16/2015 7:33 am  #12

ZenSoloist wrote:

Token, there are still a few (about 8) of those large stumps on the site, a few used as seats and the others stacked...and partly burnt. There were two nice pieces of recently felled standing dead, I used most of it for firewood, burnt great, lots of resin and the smell was amazing  :D  The site is really good minus the passing traffic, but I don't mind it too much, plus it's quieter this time of year. The site I really like on the lake was free, the one closest to the portage to Little Eagle. 

Is that cast iron skillet made by Woods? Never seen one of those before. I only use cast iron while camping (Its all I use at home too). I stayed at that site in June or July for a night and it was constant kids camps paddling by.. they were all loud on the water and I could hear them yelling and banging around their boats on the portage into Hambone as well. A short hike through the back of the campsite will bring you to the portage trail.

9/16/2015 8:12 am  #13

Wow. Great photos.

9/18/2015 12:07 pm  #14

Thanks Smedley!

9/18/2015 7:39 pm  #15

Just got back myself from a solo today. Two things.......
1) I'm a bit of a marshmallow conassoiur and I have to say " well done!"
2) "Under Milky Skies" takes my breath away. Wish I had the skill to take such great shots

K

Oh! And I also like to make a pit stop at Kawartha Dairy on my way home 😍

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

9/19/2015 5:11 pm  #16

How was your trip Kelly??  I do always aim to get that perfect golden marshmallow all around, top and bottom, I get close but not perfect just yet Roast Marshmallow off? lol

Practice, practice, practice, is the best way to learn in photography I believe. What kind of gear are you using currently? 

You can't not stop at Kawartha Dairy!!! :D

9/19/2015 7:46 pm  #17

By gear you mean my photography gear?
My phone! Hahaha
Takes some of my best shots. I also have a Nikon Coolpix and I just got a Gopro. I'm trying to workout how to edit the vids.
As for my trip - FANTASTIC! I want to enter a trip report- my first effort. Might work on that tomorrow.
- And if you want a marshmallow challenge I'm up for it 😜
K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.