You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2017 9:07 am  #1

Craig Lake route planning

Looking for a bit more route planning advice.

I have a second route to plan and was thinking about entering in Craig Lake and doing two nights on Craig, and one night on either Pishnecka or Charr Lake. Not sure on the route yet. It looks like there are some very nice spots on Craig Lake from other reports. Any thoughts on if Charr or Pisknecka are worthwhile to camp on?

The road in looks decent to enter at Nahma (lb on Jeff’s map), but any thoughts on the drive is welcome. As well, I read one report that someone staying on Craig Lake noticed lots of logging vehicles. Does anyone know if this is still an issue?

5/03/2017 9:18 am  #2

Re: Craig Lake route planning

1. You can park just south of the 2nd bridge over the South River (space for one or two vehicles) then follow an obvious forest trail for about 150m to the first un-named pond. This is easier than launching directly on the South River, paddling 30m then hitting a portage to the same pond.
2. Craig is nice, but doesn't feel remote. You might hear logging trucks ripping it up and down the road, you might not - depends on the time of year and where the logging operations are for the given time. The issue I have with Craig is the giant concrete dam on the north shore - it's visible from all but one campsite on the lake and I feel it takes away from the scenery - esp. the giant orange booms.
3. Pishnecka is a beautiful Lake. The west site is a big rock, the east site is a giant beach - both decent and both better than Charr Lake.

here is the alternate entrance and parking I speak of:

Edit: Corrected a double-negative.

Last edited by Peek (5/03/2017 9:52 am)

5/03/2017 9:41 am  #3

This was VERY helpful Peek, thank you!

I think if we do this trip, we will instead travel through to Pishnecka and do 2 nights there (maybe explore the surrounding lakes), then back out to Craig for one night. Sounds like Pishnecka would be worth the visit and would have the more remote feel.  

I'll keep looking around for some other routes in that area that we have not yet done too. 

5/03/2017 1:01 pm  #4

Thanks Peek!  I'll actually be on Pishnecka this summer, so good to know :-):-)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.