You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2017 1:35 pm  #1

Lake la Muir to Merchant

Has anyone done the low maintenance route from Lake la Muir to Merchant through Deer Yard Lake, Hemlock Lake, and Blowdown Lake?

I had originally planned on going down and around through Big Trout but find myself wondering if I'd be smarter to go the shorter way, even though it seems like more portaging than paddling.

According to Jeff's
Big Trout route = 19km - 5hr
DeerY/Hemlock/Blowdown = 8.1km - 3hr5min

Any insight or advice? What's the condition of the route? For reference, this will be May 21st, so bugs might be a nightmare..

4/21/2017 1:59 pm  #2

Re: Lake la Muir to Merchant

In Jeff's calculations 8km = 3hr is for single-carry, double-carry will approximately triple the time.

4/21/2017 2:00 pm  #3

EddyTurn wrote:

In Jeff's calculations 8km = 3hr is for single-carry, double-carry will approximately triple the time.

We'll be single carrying. 

4/21/2017 2:03 pm  #4

You'll beat the (worst of the) bugs, no worries. 

I haven't been through those low maintenance ports, but I've seen people come out of them as recently as last summer, so I imagine they're in pretty decent shape. What's your complete route? Have you been on Big Trout before? 

I ask because Big Trout is a gorgeous lake that it would be a shame to skip if you're not already well-acquainted. If you haven't been, jigger your trip plans to spend a night there if you can. 

Last edited by Uppa (4/21/2017 2:03 pm)

4/21/2017 2:08 pm  #5

Hey there,
We went from Merchant through to La Muir (Reverse of you're route) in 2015.   The only significant thing to note on any of those portages would be from Merchant to Blowdown we had to wade through some pretty significant water for at least 200/250 metres in the first third of the trail.   Don't try and scurt it, it all just opens up into more water.  Other than that though, I just remember wishing there were some camping options because the small lakes were absolutely beautiful. 
The limited amount of time you end up spending actually paddling before hitting the next portages is kind of annoying, so just remind yourself to enjoy it all!
Nothing particularly horrible about them at all.  I'd do them again in a heart-beat and I remember we were all surprised that they were marked as "low maintenance".

Happy trails!
JB

4/21/2017 2:27 pm  #6

Uppa - the full route is a taxi from Opeongo to the Proulx portage. Then through Proulx and the Crow river, spending night #1 on Big Crow Lake. Then up through Hogan, spending night #2 on la Muir. Then night #3 is on Merchant, and then taxi pickup in Hailstorm Bay. I have never been through Big Trout, do you figure it best to switch night #2 to Big Trout?

JB - Thanks for the info!

4/21/2017 2:56 pm  #7

basilthegood wrote:

Uppa - the full route is a taxi from Opeongo to the Proulx portage. Then through Proulx and the Crow river, spending night #1 on Big Crow Lake. Then up through Hogan, spending night #2 on la Muir. Then night #3 is on Merchant, and then taxi pickup in Hailstorm Bay. I have never been through Big Trout, do you figure it best to switch night #2 to Big Trout?

I'd reverse it entirely, but I know you're probably fishing so that might change things depending on where you're planning on tossing a line. 

Water taxi to the Happy Isle portage, Night #1 on Big Trout. The 2235m portage into Happy Isle and the 1840m  into Big Trout are very tame considering their lengths - you won't find that day a stretch. There are tons of great campsites on Big Trout and as I've said, it's a beautiful lake. 
Night #2: La Muir. Paddle through Longer / Red Pine from Big Trout rather than the 2590m portage into La Muir - it's a nicer trip.
Night #3: Big Crow. 

Mostly it's a wind thing. Paddling west across La Muir on a windy day can suck, although to be fair the same is true of the eastern side of Big Trout which can be one big wind funnel once you get out of the creek. 

Merchant isn't an ugly lake but it's not gorgeous either, and you won't find any campsites that get you excited. I've either paddled up to, or set foot on, every single campsite on Merchant and there isn't one that's all that interesting. 

4/21/2017 7:41 pm  #8

I love the northern shore campsite on Merchant, it's wooded and has a sandy beach.

4/21/2017 8:01 pm  #9

You cant go wrong with any trip in the area. It is quintessential Algonquin. Awesome! Especially in the Spring.  I agree with Uppa though and would do it clockwise. I would camp on BT, Hogan and Proulx. All 3 of those lakes have fantastic campsites with great fishing.

Just another opinion!

4/21/2017 8:02 pm  #10

I have taken those unmaintained portages in May and there is a lot of blowdown and brush to stumble/push through. They will slow you down relative to a fully maintained portage so you should take that into account when estimating your travel rate. It is quite pretty through the area and very quiet. We didn't see a soul through the entire area and it was quite enjoyable but definitely more work, however, we survived and I would do it again.

4/22/2017 5:37 am  #11

I'm with Uppa on this one.  If you get the first water taxi of the day you'll be on Big Trout before 1pm.  Troll across merchant and catch a small laker, then pick a nice site on big T with deep water near it. 

Also agree with la Muir via red pine...fish most of that except chunks of longer that are weedy. 

My experience of the low maintenance portages thru hemlock was quite good back in 2008 or 2009; a couple blowdowns but a beautiful route.

4/22/2017 9:35 am  #12

I have done this route many times before.  As stated above, early in the season there are a lot of blowdowns and water.  The small lakes are extremely beautiful and I prefer going to LaMuir this way via Merchant.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/25/2017 8:03 am  #13

Started this thread to ask about la Muir to Merchant, and the end result was flipping the whole route around!

Took the advice from you fine people and made the changes. The new route is taxi to Happy Isle, through Merchant with night #1 on BT, night #2 on la Muir and night #3 on Big Crow, with taxi pickup from the Proulx portage. 

Funny enough, the Ontario Parks website wouldn't let me book it as such because the distances were too long. Had to call in to complete it. No problems getting the taxi changed either. 

I guess the only decision now will be whether to get to la Muir through Longer and Red Pine, or just hit the 2590m portage. I think it'll end up being a game time decision. Shorter day vs. nicer paddle.

4/25/2017 8:27 am  #14

Nice!

Yeah, the website won't take the water taxi into consideration, so it thinks you want to paddle from the Opeongo Access point to Big Trout in a day. That's still totally doable of course, but the online booking system is very conservative in what it will allow. I end up having to call in to book many of my trips; there's almost always a day that crosses the "unreasonable travel distance" line as far as the site is concerned. 

Enjoy your trip - you'll love Big Trout.

4/25/2017 10:14 am  #15

Beware of motor boats on la Muir.

4/25/2017 5:11 pm  #16

Is fishing a big part of your trip?

4/25/2017 6:20 pm  #17

MartinG wrote:

Is fishing a big part of your trip?

Absolutely is

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.