You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2017 8:06 am  #1

Getting Worried...

Hi All,

I'm heading to North River Lake friday-sunday and I am worried about travel up the creek with this high water, as well as the condition the Brent Road will be in. Has anybody been there recently or have any suggestions for alternative trips? Weather is also looking pretty grim but I'll be ready for it.

Cheers,

Lenny

5/03/2017 8:13 am  #2

Re: Getting Worried...

I spent a week on NRL last May. The current wasn't a problem, at all - sure it moves but it's not rushing water. I think there may have been a beaver dam or two - but you'll be fine. I was solo in a 16.5 ft boat.

NRL is a great lake and you can bring extra comfort items - no portages! I stayed on the western site in the South Bay - nice and big! but all sites have different qualities / views to them, and they all have tables & benches.

Get down to Merganser if you can - a great day trip. A nice flat-rock waterfall can be found in the south west bay - very scenic, great spot for lunch. Both those sites have tables too. You can go down to Wabamimi and loop back up via little wabamimi and the logging road, ala John Connelly!

Don't stress about it - just load your canoe and go - you'll have a blast. Fishing is supposed to be really good too. The alders are only bad for the first few hundred meters, then it's all gravy.

5/03/2017 8:19 am  #3

I just talked to someone who came out of North River Lake....no problem getting in to lake and no problem with road.....I am going in this Sunday to Allan Lake

Weather forecast for Deux Rivieres area is now getting really good from May 8 to May 13....although a little chilly which I like, but hardly any rain.

Lenny....lots of rain for you on this weekend.  Forecast also says about 1 cm on snow on Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights....drinking weather and building snowmen weather....LOL

Last edited by boknows (5/03/2017 8:38 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

5/03/2017 8:32 am  #4

Thanks for easing my anxiety, much appreciated. Will report back!

5/08/2017 9:29 am  #5

Thanks to Peek, Bo and others for the help. Had a great but soggy trip. Had some laughs, caught some fish and enjoyed recharging my battery. Was nice to not have any portages as we brought a tonne of clothes and a few pairs of shoes and two pairs of waders. Managed to stay relatively dry, the paddle out in the snow was much nicer than the paddle in with the pouring rain. Was also nice to meet and have a drink with Master Bo! Hope he's enjoying himself out there right now. 

Cheers,

Lenny

5/09/2017 8:00 am  #6

Awesome~!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.