You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/10/2015 5:59 am  #18

Re: Portage Pack

Thanks Guys, much appreciated.

Moonman.

9/10/2015 7:58 am  #19

that north49 looks like a direct knock off of the Woods Oasis pack i have

9/10/2015 10:05 am  #20

I agree Soutergriz.  I have the Woods Mason Pack and it's pretty similar.  There are also a few other knockoffs - Chinook has one now too (http://www.chinooktec.com/index.php/marine-gear/canoe-kayak-gear/product/183-chinook-chemun-portage-pack).  I've seen it in a few stores near the park.  I bought mine used but the new ones I think are under 100$.

9/10/2015 12:23 pm  #21

Hey Moonman

will be cheaper through a Canadian site with the dollar how it is.

Gear Up has the Quetico for $219 CAD which is like $155 US right now. Plus no duty etc..

http://www.gear-up.com/products/view/granite-gear-quetico-canoe-pack

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

9/13/2015 4:52 pm  #22

We just got back from a weekend with our Granite Gear Superior One.

I bought it used - 100$ US plus 20 USD shipping - with paypal fees it was 170 Cdn all in - so expensive but still a bit cheaper than new.

Anyway we got it because we want one equipment pack for our long trip next summer - on our 23 day this year we started triple portaging and don't want to do this next summer.

It is huge and lovely - we will stick with the Mason on weekend trips and this for longer trips.

Last edited by ChristineCanoes (9/13/2015 4:53 pm)

1/28/2017 9:14 pm  #23

I'm in the market for a new bag so I dug up this thread for ideas. I've been considering the Hybrid Bag from Cooke Custom Sewing, but at $342 CAD (after shipping and current exchange rates) I'm thinking I might be wise to consider other options.

Seeing as this thread is quite old at this point, does anyone have any new recommendations, or old recommendations they still want to heartily reaffirm?

1/28/2017 10:54 pm  #24

I have the MEC Slogg 70L. It's fine for me. Tend to pack light.  Has a removable hip belt which is nice for longer portages. There is a deluxe model available with a few more suspension  features for an additional  $50.I think I paid $129 and for the price I feel it performs just as well as I would expect higher priced packs to. Dry packs IMO are meant for canoe trips so not designed to be carried all day for long distances. Overall opinion,  a good no frills dry pack for the money.

1/29/2017 2:12 pm  #25

So I clearly have a portage bag purchasing problem. As I started this thread 1 1/2 years ago and have bought 3 new ones since then.

I have:

Sealine boundary 110
Eureka 75L
Eureka 110L
CCS Pioneer
Granite Gear Quetico ( short torso for my wife)

I have also carried a friends Sealine  Pro version recently on more than 1 trip.

If I had to buy a new one today it would really be no contest. CCS Pioneer for sure. Although in fairness I can't really compare our GG bag to it for comfort as it's a short torso version. The CCS and GG are very similar. Durability is a guess at this point but I would say the CCS will last longer and if I had to make a guess at comfort based on feedback from my wife I would say the CCS is slightly more comfortable too.

The Eureka's are solid bags for the money and I like them better than the Sealine bags.

Last edited by ShawnD (1/29/2017 2:13 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

1/29/2017 3:19 pm  #26

I bought a CCS pack last year (Guide hybrid pack) and I'm so glad I did.  Apart from almost being bulletproof, I found that it resists water very well and the space, oh the space...the only thing that doesn't go in is the canoe.  I've had many other types and makes of packs...don't think I'll ever go back.  I would recommend one for anyone looking for a new pack...they're worth it in my opinion.

1/30/2017 8:00 am  #27

CCS 100%.

1/30/2017 8:42 am  #28

Interesting. So it seems that the majority would advise saving for a little bit and investing in the $342 CCS bag? Did everyone who owns one order directly from their website?

1/30/2017 9:12 am  #29

I got mine a few years back when the exchange was in our favour. Because they're made in the US I didn't pay duty either. I ordered directly from their site, yes. They were a pleasure to deal with.

1/30/2017 11:05 am  #30

I'm pretty sure you will have to buy direct from them..

If you have any interest in the GG Quetico 2 CDA online companies sell GG.

Gearup.com and Wildernesssupply.ca .. Don't see the Quetico..on their websites right now but they could likely order in for you if you asked them. I bought my wife's Quetico on Gearup last year.. Think it was $220.

Option if you want to save a few buck over the CCS. Again the Quetico and the Pioneer will be similar I think.

Pretty sure myselfreliance on here uses a Quetico and has praised it before. I would trust his 2 cents too... 

3/18/2017 10:07 am  #31

I was going to buy CCS but was able to get the last of the Ostrum packs. I would recommend CCS out of what is currently on the market.

3/18/2017 2:54 pm  #32

Methye wrote:

That is an awesome price for a pack of that quality.

I'll just chime in here (for others who might scan this thread for reference in the future) to say that if waterproofness is not your goal, and you don't want to break the bank, the World Famous Norwester Portage Pack is a good deal.

I just put a 3-mil contractor bag inside it, and with proper closure my gear is safe from immersion. They say 100L but that's counting every little side pocket, etc. In reality it's like a 75-80 L pack. It's regularly $70 at Tent City, and I bought it discounted to $60 at the Outdoor Adventure Show. Hip Belt and even a detachable tump line. It's not top of the line stuff by any means, but for the number of times a year I go canoeing it fits the bill and is good value. Only thing it's missing is a nice pocket on the top overflap for a map, sunscreen, and bug dope.

I just bought this today at the Sportsman show. $80 taxes in at Tent City booth.
Most of my backcountry is backpacking but am wanting to do more paddling.
Picked this up as a starter pack.

3/19/2017 12:15 pm  #33

I've used the same Eureka 115L canoe pack for many years now and have no complaints (but also very little to compare it to). I take nowhere near 115 liters worth of gear, but because I have a kayak on my shoulders I can't have the top of my pack any higher than those shoulders - ideally a bit below in fact. The Eureka is 27 inches wide and 13 inches deep, which makes that easy. 

It's a waterproof pack, but that's somewhat irrelevant for me. My gear is all stowed in dry bags for starters, and when I'm on the water those dry bags are in dry hatches. So I guess if I could find an equivalent pack without the waterproofness (if that translates to it being a lighter pack) that would make sense. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.