LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/14/2016 1:12 pm  #35


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

Or you could just single portage to not leave your gear far behind... ;)

And yes, the absolute best thing about solo tripping is being on your own schedule. I book routes that I want to do, at the pace I want to do them, and spend my time however I choose. Sometimes that's wandering around with the camera, sometimes it's lying on a rock by the water's edge, thinking and doing absolutely nothing. I get up when I want, eat when I want, move camp when I want. I have to confess that I've turned down invitations to go camping with other people because I only have so many days I can spend in the park each year, and camping with others means less time out there by myself. 

 

4/14/2016 3:33 pm  #36


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

I dont single portage. I tried it and lost my footing and  at the age of 70 and being a girl it does not work well.  In some areas  rescue could be difficult and I worry that if I cant pull my PLB I am toast. i cant see  my feet with a pack on my front and a pack on my back and a canoe on it too. Plus post chemo I am not very strong.

One trip with the food and the canoe.. one with the main pack and paddles and water.  500 meters before dropping the pack and going for the canoe works pretty well ..  For a 2 km port repeat four times.

 

4/14/2016 4:21 pm  #37


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

Kayamedic - you made me chuckle when you said you aren't very strong post chemo (obviously hope long terms things are going great for you!!), then followed it up with a description of some pretty impressive portaging feats.

     Thread Starter
 

4/14/2016 5:12 pm  #38


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

70, post-chemo, and still portaging. Is it okay if I make you my role model?

You mention a pack, a food pack, and water. How much gear are you carrying superwoman?

 

4/14/2016 9:06 pm  #39


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

30 liter barrel and a Woods Mason Pack. Pack weights are maybe 35 lbs for the Woods and 20 for the barrel
My canoe is 31 lbs. No superwoman.  But I have been flattened by carrying too much and face planted in Woodland Caribou  on a flooded portage. I had some 80 lbs on me and tangled in a pack strap.

Not doing that anymore. Woodland Caribou is a place where you might go till spring next year without being found.

 

4/15/2016 7:17 am  #40


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

Uppa wrote:

I have to confess that I've turned down invitations to go camping with other people because I only have so many days I can spend in the park each year, and camping with others means less time out there by myself. 

Same, not always, but same. I've turned down trips because I didn't like the route and said screw it, I'm going here instead and off I went.

Solo tripping is a freedom unlike any other. Like you said Bob, absolutely everything is on your own schedule. Don't feel like doing something? Don't. Do? do! It's all good! 
 

 

4/15/2016 8:54 pm  #41


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

getting back to the opening of dontgroandaddy, I would say there is nothing wrong with looking behind you while on a trail.  I do this every backpacking trip.  I've only got a few years under my belt as a solo backcountry camper but here is my advice.  Do not read or watch anything remotely related to backcountry camping a few months prior to going in.  That being said do read lots of stuff in the "off season" that will help you be prepared. If you have camped in the backcountry before all the same rules apply ie: be prepared for any encounter whether It be wildlife or human and keeping a clean site.  Finally as others have mentioned make sure someone knows your plan - this could mean a in and out date from the backcountry or a check in from a SPOT (or other means).  I have found going solo that my instincts are heightened and that's okay.  Its all really a part of the experience...its the wild for pete's sakes.  All that being said, I am a woman, so some are worried about me for other reasons.  The biggest question I get from others, when I go solo, is don't you get bored by yourself?  The answer is simple - if I can't be alone with myself who the heck would want to be near me!

 

4/15/2016 10:01 pm  #42


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

solosal wrote:

getting back to the opening of dontgroandaddy, I would say there is nothing wrong with looking behind you while on a trail.  I do this every backpacking trip.  I've only got a few years under my belt as a solo backcountry camper but here is my advice.  Do not read or watch anything remotely related to backcountry camping a few months prior to going in.  That being said do read lots of stuff in the "off season" that will help you be prepared. If you have camped in the backcountry before all the same rules apply ie: be prepared for any encounter whether It be wildlife or human and keeping a clean site.  Finally as others have mentioned make sure someone knows your plan - this could mean a in and out date from the backcountry or a check in from a SPOT (or other means).  I have found going solo that my instincts are heightened and that's okay.  Its all really a part of the experience...its the wild for pete's sakes.  All that being said, I am a woman, so some are worried about me for other reasons.  The biggest question I get from others, when I go solo, is don't you get bored by yourself?  The answer is simple - if I can't be alone with myself who the heck would want to be near me!

I am really awed about the number of women solo trippers out there. And we are not afraid to speak up.

Another reason for soloing is that it seems from my slanted viewpoint that its not as hard to get a group of guys together for a canoe trip and male bonding as it is to get a bunch of gals together for a canoe trip and female bonding. Gals want something else( spa etc) and we are odd gals out. We do exist so we are willing to solo to do the things we love.

 

4/16/2016 3:38 pm  #43


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

Now I have another question, how do you teach the next generation, especially girls, to be independent enough to solo on their own? As kayamedic and solosal mention, there are multiple worries. I am grappling a bit in the dark, although An opportunity has arisen and I'm going to grab it with 2 hands. My youngest daughter ( an adult) has invited me on a 6 say wilderness trip, and I've handed the planning to her. Part of the plan is to maybe go with 2 solo canoes, start out together, but do 1 loop ( her) and one in and out for me, meeting again day before last on the same lake,spend the last night together and then out and home together. Would give her a chance on her own for a few nights yet not so far out of reach in case it doesn't work and she backtracks.
Equipment and experience galore in wilderness camping, so that's not an issue.
Any good advice from any other mother/daughter teams out there?

 

4/16/2016 9:59 pm  #44


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

tentserforever, yeah let her go out on her own.  she's got some backcountry knowledge? I started with another person ,and then read lots of articles/books, and tried things on my own.  My Mom was more worried about men I may meet in the bush than wildlife on my first solo adventure (and all the rest of my trips).  She's now settled into the fact that this is what I do.  now it's a bragger point for all her friends.

 

4/18/2016 8:06 am  #45


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

Update - I picked my moment and discussed a solo trip with wifey over the weekend.  Clearance has been obtained, although she wants me to get a SPOT dealie for it.  Not an unreasonable request, so they know where to find my remains.  So, come September, I'll be taking another crack at it - as a canoe trip this time rather than backpacking.  Just me and (as I read these posts) about twenty ladies on solo trips. 

     Thread Starter
 

4/18/2016 9:08 am  #46


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

Congrats - you'll have a fantastic time. After all this discussion, make sure you write up a trip report for it when you get back!

 

4/19/2016 5:45 pm  #47


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

dontgroandaddy wrote:

Update - I picked my moment and discussed a solo trip with wifey over the weekend.  Clearance has been obtained, although she wants me to get a SPOT dealie for it.  Not an unreasonable request, so they know where to find my remains.  So, come September, I'll be taking another crack at it - as a canoe trip this time rather than backpacking.  Just me and (as I read these posts) about twenty ladies on solo trips. 

Permission to buy gear?!!
She's definitely a keeper!


Dave
 

4/20/2016 8:02 am  #48


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

My wife supports me going on solo trips. She knows it's good for my mental health if not more.

 

3/18/2017 10:18 am  #49


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

For me one key is being ready. Two years ago I went from my crazy job to 7
days solo. It was too big of difference and I found it hard. I had my inReach and texted my OH a lot - which helped. I do better if I have some middle time, mostly downtime at home and then go on my trip.

 

3/21/2017 9:21 am  #50


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

How funny this post got dusted off and revisited!  A little detox time before the detox time is helpful.  My solo trip went great, in spite of rain that would have scared Noah on Day 2.  I was very rushed in my final preparations.  My mom was in skilled nursing, and the facility wanted her to move to a memory care room, for which furniture needed to be provided.  Because of the timing and urgencies and all that, I had to move a bed and furnishings and you name it, and all in when I got home.  My plans for leisurely and thoughtful packing were eliminated, instead becoming shove everything in the pack get the boat on the car, hope I have the paddles grab a few hours sleep and go.  I did find though, that once I shoved off from shore, and had a carry or two under my belt, I was fully "there".  Then when I returned home, the move was called off, and I had to move mom's stuff back out....figures...it was like an unpleasant portage with a truck.

     Thread Starter
 

3/21/2017 10:18 am  #51


Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

Glad to hear it went well. Are we going to get a trip report out of it? Camping season is still at least a month away, so give me something to read!

 

Board footera