You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/02/2016 6:22 am  #1

Backcountry Lake Access Info (Crown Land)

Hey all,

I've posted this in another forum but I haven't had any response.

I'm heading to a cottage on Rebecca Lake in Mid-September and there are a number of backcountry/backwoods lakes in the relatively close (20 minute drive) area that are surrounded by crown land and appear to have good brook trout fishing that I would like to checkout (ie: Nelson, Little Nelson, Big Hoover).

I'm trying to find some information as to how I can access these lakes (ATV trails, small hiking paths, etc...).
I would like to park the car as close to a trail as possible, unload the canoe and fishing gear and portage along the trail to the lake and put in.

I downloaded the Back Roads Map Books Navigator app and purchased a couple of "adventures: Fishing, Backroad and Trail... but they haven't given me any of the information that I was hoping for. I don't want to go spending more money on the other "adventures" (like paddling or ATV) if they're not going to provide me the information that I am looking for.

I was hoping someone here (many of you seem to have extensive knowledge of the park and its surrounding areas) might be able to point me in the right direction of a resource that could help.

My obvious last resort is to bushwack it into the lake(s), but I'm trying to avoid that if possible due to time constraints.

Thanks in advance!

9/02/2016 8:13 am  #2

Re: Backcountry Lake Access Info (Crown Land)

My first stop would be the MNR Parry Sound District lake fact sheets hosted on MuskokaWaterWeb. Aside from having great fisheries info each lake's fact sheet has some comment about access... no detail, but decent hints, like "crown land trail off XX Road." Use in conjunction with LIO mapping (also available through Fish ON-Line) so you can see roads labelled with the names MNR calls them. The satellite imagery on LIO is also better than on google maps, so it's a little easier to pick out ATV trails and logging roads (sometimes).

9/25/2016 7:47 pm  #3

Re: Backcountry Lake Access Info (Crown Land)

DanPM wrote:

My first stop would be the MNR Parry Sound District lake fact sheets hosted on MuskokaWaterWeb. Aside from having great fisheries info each lake's fact sheet has some comment about access... no detail, but decent hints, like "crown land trail off XX Road." Use in conjunction with LIO mapping (also available through Fish ON-Line) so you can see roads labelled with the names MNR calls them. The satellite imagery on LIO is also better than on google maps, so it's a little easier to pick out ATV trails and logging roads (sometimes).

Thanks for the info DanPM.
We did some exploring.
We checked out a couple areas. One logging road led us to a private hunt camp; so no access to that lake. Another lake was walking path only, would have been much to much of a PITA to get a canoe there. So we went with the lake that had the easiest closest access to the road for canoe put in. The lake we headed to was the 3rd lake in (2 portages). Not a problem getting the canoe to the 2nd lake, but due to lower water levels we couldn't get the canoe to the 3rd lake (the one we wanted to fish) and had to fish from shore. We came across a cached aluminum canoe, someone put a hatchet/axe through the bottom of it a couple of times though. Fishing didn't prove fruitful. Only catch came on one of the last desperation casts before heading back out. But it was only a yearling brookie.
A very cool encounter with a bull moose when looking for the portage to the 3rd lake though.
A good time was still had. Thanks again.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.