You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2016 3:15 pm  #1

Opeongo access point

Hey all, does anyone know if there is a place to pitch a tent at the opeongo access point?   I'm heading up Thursday eve and plan to camp out at the access point before heading in on Friday morning. If is not an area to pitch a tent I'm open to other suggestions should anyone have any.

Thanks very much!
Ken

8/31/2016 5:25 pm  #2

Re: Opeongo access point

There aren't any 'jump off' sites at Opeongo, no. There are 2-3 sites within spitting distance of the put-in however. I don't imagine they're heavily used except by people doing the same thing you are.

9/01/2016 7:19 am  #3

You cannot camp at the Opeongo access point. If you're arriving late in the evening you probably can't get an interior permit to set off for a paddle-in campsite on Lake Opeongo, and you might not want to paddle to one after dark anyway, even if it's a short distance. There are plenty of frontcountry campsites in Highway 60 campgrounds available for tonight, but I think it's too last-minute to reserve one, so you'd have to just show up. The other option I guess is camping on crown land outside the park.

9/01/2016 8:38 am  #4

Or you could just camp on the grass at the access point and let them know in the morning to charge you for an extra night. No fires. I did this myself in June and it's fine - just let the permit office know so you can be charged accordingly, the permit office staff said it happens all the time. Have your stuff packed up before daybreak. I wouldn't waste my money or time on anything frontcountry, not when there is a perfect spot for your tent. Just watch out for geese poop... LOTS of geese poop.

I've also camped at the costello creek picnic area when I arrived at 1:30am.. was packed up by 6am but still let the permit office know so they could charge me for the extra night. 12 bucks is better than 45.

9/01/2016 9:02 am  #5

Thank you to all for your suggestions

Peek, your suggestions are more along the side I was leaning too.    But I don't wanna set up in geese poo so thank you for the warning.   Where is this picnic site you speak of?

9/01/2016 10:30 am  #6

As soon as you turn  left off HWY 60 to Opeongo Road, it's on your left, maybe a few hundred meters up the road. Its marked on Jeff's Map as a tiny loop in the road, just opposite Costello lake (which is on the right of Opeongo Road). Have fun man!

9/01/2016 6:37 pm  #7

OK, sorry, I didn't realize the park was somewhat lenient about camping off-site. Good to know though.

9/08/2016 4:41 pm  #8

Just wanted to post about what we ended up doing for our late arrival to opeongo access point.  Thank you to all for your suggestions.

I had settled on the Costello creek picnic area however on arrival my girlfriend was apprehensive to camp there due to the proximity of the garbage bins.   We ended up pitching our tent in the upper parking lot at the access point (they is a patch of grass at the east end of both the upper and lower parking lots) in the morning I went down to pick up my permit and let the mnr staff member know we had camped out in the parking lot....they told me they wouldn't bother to charge me the extra night. (Right on! Free night in the park!). If anyone runs into the same issue just know that there are places to pitch a tent at the opeongo access point (even places free of goose poop ......peek lol!)

Ken

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.