You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2024 6:12 pm  #1

Mid Height Non-Waterproof Hikers?

Oboz used to have an option and Salomon has/had the Aero’s or something I think they were called but it seems neither are around any more. Seems like all the mods have shifted to “waterproof” versions.

I have a pair of trailer runners and a pair of mesh type Merrels low cuts but I’d like a pair of mid cuts to complement them.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by Taymar (4/09/2024 6:12 pm)

4/09/2024 6:42 pm  #2

Re: Mid Height Non-Waterproof Hikers?

Salomon Quest 4D GTX and you're done.

What's the matter with waterproof? Are you tripping across the Atacama desert? 

4/09/2024 8:40 pm  #3

I’m trying these this year. I have had good luck with Salomon.

https://www.salomon.com/en-ca/shop/product/x-ultra-forces-mid-li5685.html#color=89130

Broke my foot last year hiking the Lake Superior trail. Picked up some higher cut canoeing and hiking shoes this winter as I think I will need them now.

I own the Quest 4D GTX mentioned too. Won’t wear those in summer Goretex is too hot for me. YMMV.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/10/2024 5:51 am  #4

Swift Fifteen wrote:

Salomon Quest 4D GTX and you're done.

What's the matter with waterproof? Are you tripping across the Atacama desert? 

I have a pair of the last gen Quests. Great boots just not for me for summer canoeing duty.

4/10/2024 5:53 am  #5

ShawnD wrote:

I’m trying these this year. I have had good luck with Salomon.

https://www.salomon.com/en-ca/shop/product/x-ultra-forces-mid-li5685.html#color=89130

Broke my foot last year hiking the Lake Superior trail. Picked up some higher cut canoeing and hiking shoes this winter as I think I will need them now.

I own the Quest 4D GTX mentioned too. Won’t wear those in summer Goretex is too hot for me. YMMV.

Thanks - that looks like a great candidate! Will check into these.

4/12/2024 1:45 pm  #6

Strange, I've never had any issues with feet overheating.  Then again,I carry a ultralight trail runners for around camp and, I typically trip during the shoulder seasons and my boots are soaked from day 1 to day 20.  Put ins and take outs are so much simpler and faster when you're not concerned about getting wet. I routinely step out of my canoe knee deep to avoid as much land contact with the canoe as possible, often to time saved waiting for others to clear the landing while several more float 50ft away waiting for others to clear in order to avoid get their feet wet.

4/12/2024 3:33 pm  #7

Swift Fifteen wrote:

Strange, I've never had any issues with feet overheating.  Then again,I carry a ultralight trail runners for around camp and, I typically trip during the shoulder seasons and my boots are soaked from day 1 to day 20.  Put ins and take outs are so much simpler and faster when you're not concerned about getting wet. I routinely step out of my canoe knee deep to avoid as much land contact with the canoe as possible, often to time saved waiting for others to clear the landing while several more float 50ft away waiting for others to clear in order to avoid get their feet wet.

Why would you choose Gortex boots?

4/12/2024 8:32 pm  #8

Yup - Kinda what I like about a light mesh non waterproof boot - I never have to avoid the water or how deep it may be as a mesh type as it will dry quicker than the membrane models.
I like the goretex options for terrestrial trips.

The Salomon model mentioned above doesn’t seem to be stocked at many retailers.
I will double check the Salomon Canada site to make sure it’s legit as there was a scam Salomon site that I ran into a year or two back.

4/13/2024 9:45 am  #9

MartinG wrote:

Why would you choose Gortex boots?

I didn't choose Gortex specifically. I saw an in-depth positive review of the above Salomon boot by a Colorado hiker with more experience and miles on his feet than you and I combined. So I pulled the trigger on them and have been thoroughly impressed ever since. They're arguably the most robust, well-made, comfortable boot I've ever owed. I highly recommend them for spring summer and fall tripping.

Last edited by Swift Fifteen (4/13/2024 9:47 am)

4/13/2024 10:53 am  #10

Taymar wrote:

Yup - Kinda what I like about a light mesh non waterproof boot - I never have to avoid the water or how deep it may be as a mesh type as it will dry quicker than the membrane models.
I like the goretex options for terrestrial trips.

The Salomon model mentioned above doesn’t seem to be stocked at many retailers.
I will double check the Salomon Canada site to make sure it’s legit as there was a scam Salomon site that I ran into a year or two back.

It’s legit. Have ordered and received plus a different pair for my daughter. Hiking La Clouche with her this year.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

4/13/2024 11:17 am  #11

So purely my unsolicated experience and again YMMV but I think you need to keep your feet happy. I use trip specific foot wear.
Some examples from left to right.

Gortex mid cut boot. - hiking only in cold weather.

Non Gortex mid cut- hiking in summer and what I will likely be using 90% of the time now move forward as I broke my foot and support is a bigger concern now.

Trail runner- I will still use on easier hikes and likely what more serious hikers use most of the time.

Canoeing. Totally different shoes for me.

Have some mid cut La Sportiva that I’m trying this year and Astrals that will drain well, offer support and have tread that do well in wet conditions. Astral low cut too have worked well for me.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.