You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2024 12:01 pm  #1

McManus LK to Whitson??

Hey All, 
Currently planning a trip end of May and looking to try some where new.  Pretty Keen on the northern end of the park for a chance at Pickerel and Muskie (catch and release guy btw). 

I was curious if anyone knows how busy McManus to Whitson will be end of May and if the fishing is Decent? 

I'd be interested in hearing any other suggestions - Looking to avoid motor boats and people in general  

Thanks in advance!
Cloudy15

4/10/2024 3:26 pm  #2

Re: McManus LK to Whitson??

Muskie season is closed all of may. Those lakes are never generally too busy. Mostly whitewater paddlers coming down from Travers. 

4/10/2024 5:42 pm  #3

Thanks for the info Lenny and the note about Muskie!

4/10/2024 6:41 pm  #4

In May the current can be a bit pushy going upstream between McManus, Smith and Whitson. Can sweep you right back down the rapid you portages up.

This year's low water, it may not be a big deal.

4/10/2024 7:43 pm  #5

Oh man, thought the current was always pretty manageable in those sections... Would pretty much ruin the entire trip if we couldn't get up stream. 

Anyone else have any thoughts on the likely hood of not being able to make it up stream.

Thanks for Martin, certainly something to think about. 

4/10/2024 7:53 pm  #6

You can certainly make it up stream. Just something to be cognicent of. The put in can be a little tight in High Water. A pain in the butt if you get swept back down stream.

4/11/2024 7:56 am  #7

I usually delay any upstream travel to Whitson until after July 1.

4/11/2024 7:57 am  #8

Thanks for the note RG!

4/11/2024 9:52 am  #9

A few (too many, probably) comments here:

Paddling up the narrow sections between those lakes is pretty much a non-starter. 
For the short channel between McManus and Smith, just take the portage.  If the water is low, the takeout can be a bit of a pain due to rocks; at moderate or high water levels, no problem. 
The longer channel from Smith to Whitson - depends on the water level.  At high water, the approach from Smith features fast current and you have to work even to get to the takeout.  The portage itself is a good trail and not difficult.   As MartinG says, the current at the upstream put-in can be pretty lively, but if you're reasonably strong paddlers it shouldn't be a problem.  However, at very high water levels the  put-in can be drowned and you'll have to get wet to get up to where the current is a bit less aggressive.  That said, I don't think the water level this year will be extremely high.  At present it is somewhat high, but that will probably ease up over the next month.

If the water level is low, it can be difficult to get up to the takeout since the water is shallow and it's difficult to get a paddle in deep enough for a good push to fight the fast current. It is possible to line/wade up the channel from Smith to Whitson on the right side at low flow.  There is one deep hole partway up that will mean getting wet, and launching at the top can be tricky, though at least it's shallow.  Wading up on the left side is fine until you get to the top, where current and rocks make it difficult to get back into the canoe.

Both channels are certainly runnable on the way back down.  Whitson to Smith, the current weaves back and forth in the channel, so you need to follow the main flow.  The river bottom there is mostly gravel, but there are nuisance rocks in a few places.  At low flow it's easy to fetch up on a gravel bar, but not a big problem.  Smith to McManus is also fairly easily runnable, especially at higher flow, but at low flow there is the same possibility of grounding on a gravel bar.

Anyway, don't be put off by all these details.  If in doubt, just suck it up and do the portages.  Whitson is a nice, scenic lake and you will probably have a pleasant time there.  Best wishes for your trip.

4/11/2024 10:04 am  #10

DC - Thank you very much!! Some really good stuff, a lot to think about! 

We have two competing parties -The other person is pushing a Barron Canyon trip... Something like, Grand Lake, Stratton, St Andrews, Oplescent Lake, Brigham lake then Paddle out of Squirrel rapids.

Seems like a lot of work, and doubtful we will catch much in the way of trout....

Mc Manus to Whitson - Seems easier, maybe more secluded , and should offer better fishing I'd think???

4/11/2024 10:09 am  #11

You won't find trout in that stretch of the Petawawa but you mentioned walleye in your original post and they are present. 

4/11/2024 10:14 am  #12

Thanks Rob, 
Noticed trout wasn't listed on Jeff's map

Was wondering about Trout Fishing in the  Barron Canyon area... Something like, Grand Lake, Stratton, St Andrews, Oplescent Lake, Brigham lake then Paddle out of Squirrel rapids.

And Barron Canyon VS Petawawa in general 

Thanks again! 

4/11/2024 11:50 am  #13

In general that is a poor area for Trout fishing. You can portage into Marie. It is stocked with Brookies. Probably not worth it, as it's one of the steepest portages in  Algonquin.

4/11/2024 12:02 pm  #14

Thanks Martin!!

4/12/2024 9:02 am  #15

Hello Again, 
We can't seem to agree on where to go.  Rock Lake, Pen to Clydegale is on the table now. 

Any thoughts on the the route in general and how the fishing is in Clydegale, I see BT/LT listed. I'm not a trout fisherman really at all, but would at least like to know I have a bit of a shot at one.

Thanks!
Cloudy

4/12/2024 9:35 am  #16

I really like Clydegale, especially on a gray drizzly day a week after ice out. We often have the lake to ourselves at that time of year and it's just a really quiet, peaceful place. I expect it will be busier by the end of May.

Yes there are trout in there. 

4/12/2024 9:37 am  #17

Thanks Rob! Are you free end of May and interested in teaching me how to trout fish lol

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.