You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2024 6:38 am  #18

Re: Streamers and trolling flies

I already have the lines so no extra dollars needed. The intermediate and full sink lines from maxcatch are pretty cheap so I picked up a few types before a splake trip last fall. Not the best lines I'm sure, but definitely do the job! I watched FB marketplace like a hawk too and acquired a couple good quality Orvis reels, plus the guideline reel (love the reel and rod I got from them), so I'll have them spoiled up and in my chest pack.

Great thought on the shore casting. Floating line with an indi would definitely be easier to get that out further, even without much casting room with a couple of roll casts would do better than the mono line. I'll still bring a mono rig leader, tiny on a foam spool. I should grab a few of those self release indicators used for Stillwater so I can get a good bit of depth with a couple of flies out there.
@Swedish pimple what colours do you normally bring for streamers? Wondering if I should add one or 2 more perch coloured streamers to the mix.
Anyone ever try those wiggle disks infront of their streamers? Not sure it's worth the hassle or not in the backcountry, also feels like it just turns the streamer into a rapala lol but if it helps I'm willing to consider it!
Here's another weird off the cuff thought (steelhead on the brain from getting into a few last week lol) with the suckers in the lakes, do you think the brookies would eat a sucker spawn pattern?

Hobbes

2/10/2024 11:50 am  #19

The Stillwater indicators are the ones I was talking about…they work great as you can go much deeper with them, depending on your leader length (15-20’ even )…just like a slip bobber set up spin fishing…sucker spawn worth it for sure…easy pattern to tie up…there is a spot on your trip you messaged me about that they would work well…definitely perch pattern streamers! Perch rapala original floater is my number one lure…also caught my biggest brookie in the park on a polar fiber Minnow in perch…

Moonman…

2/13/2024 10:00 am  #20

Awesome, I'll pack a few sucker spawns, and I bet I could guess where you might be referring to Moonman as to where they'll be most effective.
Picked up those Phil Rowley quick release indicators at Cabela's on the weekend. Any suggestions on patterns to use for Stillwater? Assuming a balanced leech or bugger on the point, couple of tags with chironomids above?

Hobbes

2/13/2024 5:52 pm  #21

For flies  for under an indicator, I would look at wooly buggers, any soft hackle type wet, Gartside sparrow, or micro leech. I have never had much luck using chironomids in the park - and have given them a solid try on good water. I have a theory that the chars - brookies and lakers, are much more into minnows and larger insects than say rainbows. If you review a lot of the BC Stillwater info, they have a lot of rainbows…and chironomids are a staple there. Mind you others may have had more success than I….I’ve done really well with any small buggy fly with rainbows in lakes but brookies and lakers like meat lol. Phil Rowley did a show I think maybe a segment of The New Fly Fisher or similar at la Reserve Beaushene in Quebec and could not buy a fish on a chironomid but did fine on small leeches…

2/13/2024 7:56 pm  #22

So many fantastic suggestions, and the options are endless. That's why I pack a light spinning outfit. 2-piece St Croix Trout series 7ft rod paired with a Daiwa Fuego.  Add that to the fly rod outfit and you're stylin' and profilin'. The light spinning setup not only solves all the depth issues but also allows for easier casting from shore if you find yourself in some tough area not conducive to fly lines and streamers. Regarding the full sinking line, another option is to cut several 20ft hanks of it (extra for spares), create a loop on each of them, and roll them up in your tackle box to be used when you feel the need to drop you presentation in 5-15fow. But like Moonman has already accurately pointed out, the real issue is taking too much gear..guilty!

Hobbes, forgot to add to our earlier conversation that I have two brand new spools of #6 fwf and #7 fwf, also a mint 4 piece Premiere 8ft 6" 4wt if you're interested.

2/13/2024 9:46 pm  #23

Yeah I have a 7ft M ugly stik elite that has served me quite well through the recent years. I think they might actually be indestructible. Paired up with a Plfueger Supreme XT that I found 50% off lol. I put on some 8LB power pro braid, going for the most thin I could find of the brands that were on sale. Will slap on a nice long fluoro leader in either 6 or 8lb and should be good to use either in tight situations or if I want to troll a spoon. I was running 20 or 30lb braid before but I was wondering how much the thickness of the line affects trolling depths or jigging sensitivity, so figured I'd see for myself if I notice.
Holy freaking moly I can't wait to get into the park.
And yeah, between that and all the fly gear, I'm bringing way too much lol, but I LOVE IT!!! In my mind I just can't think of anything better than cruising an APP backcountry lake with a rod hanging off the side and some hard work, hard earned adventure ahead.

PS spring trip is officially booked. Water taxi across Opeongo early in the morning and get at it!
PPS did anyone else notice that they have the dates you can book now starting at May 4? Last year I think it was the 12th? We got lucky last year though and the park opened up early, a day before our planned outing lol.

2/13/2024 9:52 pm  #24

Oh that's a neat idea on the sinking line! Easy homemade poly leaders hahaha. And the sinking lines from Maxcatch are only ~15 bucks I think. Maybe less. Might just pick one up and try that out around my area for the fun of it. 
I JUST got a (nearly) new 8ft 6in 3wt premier with an avid reel for 60 bucks on FB marketplace. The rod looks and feels awesome! I bought it to put in my kids hands this year, but I'll definitely find some time to borrow it lol. I am imagining it being a wonderful dry fly rod, which is an area of fly fishing that I need, and want to get MUCH better at.

3/11/2024 3:03 pm  #25

For rivers in early May bring out the tungsten nymph rig and fish sucker spawn and squirmy wormies. 

For trolling I run a double rig with one smaller muddler minnow and one larger white bunny leech at the end with lots of silver flash. For dry flies my searching pattern is a size 8 ausable bomber. 

One lure I need to get are gang trolls. Saw some people having really good success with them. 

3/11/2024 3:57 pm  #26

Awesome, have sucker spawn tied up and ready to go (hoping to also use them for a couple more steelhead outings soon lol). I wasn't going to bring squirmies but I suppose I could toss a couple in from my current stock.
I really like that dry pattern, going to try tying one up now!

Thanks for the input Lenny

3/12/2024 7:25 pm  #27

Lenny wrote:

For rivers in early May bring out the tungsten nymph rig and fish sucker spawn and squirmy wormies. 

For trolling I run a double rig with one smaller muddler minnow and one larger white bunny leech at the end with lots of silver flash. For dry flies my searching pattern is a size 8 ausable bomber. 

One lure I need to get are gang trolls. Saw some people having really good success with them. 

Hey Lenny, good intel. Which one of these Sucker Spawn is your favourite?  You too, Hobbes.

https://reelflies.ca/search.php?search_query_adv=sucker+spawn

3/12/2024 7:29 pm  #28

Forgot to add, I don't have any Ausable Bombers, but it looks like a cross between a Klinkhammer and Humpy/Wulff and I have plenty of those.

Last edited by Swift Fifteen (3/12/2024 7:30 pm)

3/12/2024 8:00 pm  #29

I've only used them with steelhead but definitely was a producer with the light shell pink McFly foam I used (https://www.hareline.com/item?phrase=&category=Flash+%2F+Synthetic+Fibers&line=McFlyfoam&stockcode=MC11).

I'd think that natural colour is what I'd choose from the reel flies stuff, but definitely interested in hearing from those who've targeted brookies with these flies. I believe sucker eggs are more yellowy so one of the yellows or even chartreuse could be the ticket too. I'll bring some tied in these colours with me for sure in May.

Hobbes

3/22/2024 10:40 am  #30

I have a question on spinning gear for the fly fishing/tying crew - do you guys ever dress your treble hooks for spoons or spinners? My fly box is decently full at this point so getting some of my spinning gear in order and have been considering dressed trebles on some tackle. Thoughts/opinions?

Cheers,
Hobbes

3/22/2024 1:55 pm  #31

Decided to tie some and see what they look like, end result plus a few bonus ties of recent effort.

3/23/2024 9:56 am  #32

Looks good, Hobbes. Adding a little flash or feather to spoons and spinners can't hurt imho. Btw, I have an entire box full of those Weaver Grabbers. Only second to the EGB...which appears to be missing from your selections *cough cough*

3/23/2024 5:35 pm  #33

Haha yeah I have 1 EGB spoon that I picked up when SAIL used to carry them, and I do want others in the mix but they are so freaking expensive that I haven't been able to pull the trigger on them. Hearing how legendary they are keeps me believing that I need a couple more. I think they are made in Kitchener too which is pretty close to me.
I did order a couple new weaver grabbers from the guy who makes them in Quebec. Lost my perch one last summer to a sunken tree stump while crossing Ragged so I ordered another one of those and one of the copper coloured style.

4/19/2024 10:53 am  #34

Ordered more flies, Hobbs. Once I figure out how to post a photo I'll post up my collection. Nothing huge, a few hundred I guess.  But I certainly have covered all the bases.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.