You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2024 2:08 pm  #1

Bridge at Pet/Narrowbag?

The post by Barry wondering about logging noise got me thinking too.......

Is the logging road bridge crossing the Pet at Narrowbag in or out?
Most recent satellite imagery seems to show it's out.
However one trip report I found from 2010 says out but the same paddler in a subsequent report from 2014 says rebuilt.
In general, do they get taken in and out with that regularity?

2/26/2024 4:56 pm  #2

Re: Bridge at Pet/Narrowbag?

Do you mean this bridge? I saw it in 2012 and 1016.

It's a substantial bridge on a major logging artery. I can't see them ever intentionally taking that bridge out. I don't remember anything about a flood taking it out. Of course I could be wrong.

Also why do you ask? You don't need to cross that bridge.

2/26/2024 5:21 pm  #3

It’s in. I was there back in September.

2/26/2024 6:25 pm  #4

@MartinG - The park actually has a high water portage extension that crosses it now. Peek can speak to that in more detail (he's my source). You can see the routing on my map.

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

2/26/2024 6:27 pm  #5

Thanks for both replies.
Was thinking of booking the site at the Narrowbag side of the portage, which I thiought was in close proximity? As mentioned more concerned about noise.

My mistake I wasn't looking at the right place on google maps I guess???? Or it's a shadow???

MartinG - what is your image source? So much clearer!

Last edited by Daylatedollarshort (2/26/2024 6:32 pm)

2/26/2024 7:05 pm  #6

jeffreym wrote:

@MartinG - The park actually has a high water portage extension that crosses it now. Peek can speak to that in more detail (he's my source). You can see the routing on my map.

Yup, there is a cut and signed high water 'go-around' for times when water is moving just too quickly. I've used it a couple times in the spring, and have bypassed it in the summer and fall.

Been there for a while too.. at least 5 seasons.. maybe a couple more.

Edit: also, can confirm that bridge is still there as of Oct 2023.

Last edited by Peek (2/26/2024 7:06 pm)

2/27/2024 7:36 am  #7

My image was from Fish ONline.

I've noticed the trail to the logging road in the past. Seems there's always a trail. I've just ignored it as unimportant.

2/27/2024 2:03 pm  #8

Peek wrote:

jeffreym wrote:

Yup, there is a cut and signed high water 'go-around' for times when water is moving just too quickly. I've used it a couple times in the spring, and have bypassed it in the summer and fall.

Been there for a while too.. at least 5 seasons.. maybe a couple more.

Edit: also, can confirm that bridge is still there as of Oct 2023.

Yup! 5 years plus a couple more. LOL   

My son and I were there when a Park Warden and a student ranger were cutting the trail...May 7th, 2017 to be exact.   In fact, they were just finishing up and then put all our gear into the back of their truck and drove it up the road (across that bridge) to the trail down to Narrowbag.  Awesome guys they were!   

The reason they were cutting the trail that day...  the day before, two canoeists put into the very high, fast water and were swept down river.  Their canoe dumped and was folded in half.  They had to bushwhack out to Cedar.  They were able to flag down a passing motorboat and get a ride back to Brent.  All things considering, it could have ended a lot worse for those guys.   

I really don't know what my son and I would've done had they not been their clearing that trail...  

2/27/2024 5:39 pm  #9

Another positive step forward in the suburbanization of Algonquin Park.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.