You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/17/2023 7:56 pm  #1

Bruce Lake September Solo

Spent 2 nights on Bruce Lake this weekend. What a hidden gem with easy access from 60. Beautiful little Lake and a great site. Only site on the lake so that attracted me. I don't usually  like 60 for obvious reason but this seemed to fit the bill. Great weekend for weather.  First solo for me and it worked out great. A few pics from the weekend. Under 45 mins from put in on Source to take out at site. No wildlife and saw noone whatsover. Park was busy enough but the colours chaos has not quite started. I'd recommend  this lake for someone looking for a quick trip for a couple days.

Last edited by Shayne74 (9/17/2023 8:01 pm)

9/17/2023 8:08 pm  #2

Re: Bruce Lake September Solo

Nice one.

9/17/2023 8:15 pm  #3

Wow that shoreline has really filled out since I visited the site in 2016. The place I used as a landing is completely overgrown and covered now. It's always interesting to see how campsites change over time.

Also congrats on your first solo!

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

9/17/2023 9:42 pm  #4

trippythings wrote:

Wow that shoreline has really filled out since I visited the site in 2016. The place I used as a landing is completely overgrown and covered now. It's always interesting to see how campsites change over time.

Also congrats on your first solo!

Thank you. First successful solo I should have said lol! I bailed out after 8 hours on Islet a few years ago. Got a real uneasy feeling there and paddled out in the dark.  Much different  vibe this time. I should have shot the landing just to the left of photo. Pretty easy to navigate.  Shallow with a few rocks but no real issues. I looked at your pics before I left and scouted that spit forst actually.  Definitely  not ideal nowadays.

9/18/2023 9:21 am  #5

Beauty little site!!!

9/18/2023 10:43 am  #6

yes,, nice little hammock camp site only,, with a beach across the lake,, lots of splake,, 

9/18/2023 1:31 pm  #7

Shayne - 

Congratulations on your first (successful!) solo!!  My first solo trip was a hiking trip, intended to be three nights, I bailed after one.  Same uneasy feeling.  I became incredibly aware that my peripheral vision had limitations and could not see, but only imagine what was in back of me.  All the time. it was very unnerving.  (there was a thread I started in 2016 on the subject, and I got so much great input from the folks on this forum).  Canoe tripping was way easier for me in that regard.  So - glad you had a great trip.  And congratulations again.  What a beauty of a lake, and the weather surely cooperated!

And best of all....there's nothing better in a campsite than a thunderbox with a view, and that particular throne might have the most commanding view I have ever seen one have.  There should be a crown hanging on a tree nearby. 

9/19/2023 5:19 am  #8

swedish pimple wrote:

yes,, nice little hammock camp site only,, with a beach across the lake,, lots of splake,, 

It's a great site. There are two decent  sized tent pads but they are a distance from the main site toward the thunderbox. A little further than ideal for most I'm sure. I am a hammock guy so it was definitely  fine for me. Firewood  was tricky to find for sure. I was able to fill my time hunting lol. I did not fish but ventured down the creek toward Source I search of wildlife but came up empty handed. 

Dave . Thanks. Glad to know Im Not the only one. Something about this site definitely was more comforting. The view from the thunderbox Maybe helped lol. I made a trip out there at night as well and all was good. Not sure why but this trip I definitely felt better than the last.

9/19/2023 1:27 pm  #9

Great photos and congrats on your first (of many more, I'm sure) solos.  I can remember my first solo and not sleeping much the first night due to a very noisy brain!  Thoughts churning and spinning.  I now find that my solos are very meditative and great ways to get into that 'flow' state where you are just in the present.  Sounds very bohemian, I know, but for me nothing beats being in nature for a good emotional and mental reset.

I hadn't heard of Bruce Lake before and will have to take the time to visit it.  It looks wonderful.

9/19/2023 4:05 pm  #10

Shayne - I'll pretty much echo what everyone else is saying - looks like you had an amazing time and congratulations on the solo!! It's a totally different experience, eh?

Beautiful photos too!

9/21/2023 5:06 pm  #11

Thanks guys. More to come. Baby steps!

10/02/2023 6:57 am  #12

Just seeing this now - thanks for sharing. Nice shots, and the meals look great too! It's such an invigorating feeling to hit a quiet, hidden gem on a sunny day. Like Dave, my first solo experience was via backpacking (in 2012) and I tend to do this several days each year now, although it didn't work out for 2023. I completely echo Guyute's take on it. I would love to do a solo water trip one day as the backpacking trails in Ontario have become so overrun now...
Cheers,
Rich

10/02/2023 1:44 pm  #13

Awesome! My husband and I went there on a last-minute trip on Saturday. Lovely site and despite the fall colour madness it was super quiet - only one couple crossed the lake on their way to Raven. 
Where did you put your hammock? I'm thinking of buying one and I always am curious where people hang them!

10/04/2023 8:18 am  #14

southofsummer wrote:

Awesome! My husband and I went there on a last-minute trip on Saturday. Lovely site and despite the fall colour madness it was super quiet - only one couple crossed the lake on their way to Raven. 
Where did you put your hammock? I'm thinking of buying one and I always am curious where people hang them!

It is amazing  sometmes what just one portage can accomplish lol. I should have taken  a picture of hammock set up. I usually  do. Kinda hard to explain but if you walk toward tent pads I sent up maybe 30 ft from the lakeside  tent pad on the left of the path. There are some trees in the middle. It was kind of set so when I was in the hammock  it sank into a depression  behind a bit of a hill which protected me from the wind as well.  If I had to list a con for this site it would be the distance of tent pads from main site. However  this isnt really an issue but it is further than most sites I've been to.

Last edited by Shayne74 (10/04/2023 8:19 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.