You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/30/2023 1:50 pm  #1

Storage Rules

Hi Everyone

Quick question - someone posted on another group I belong to that they were fined by a warden in AP because they were off their site orienting themselves for about 15 minutes and had left their food unhung.

My question is specifically about the regs and hanging food. We used to use a blue barrel that we hung. After seeing several videos including one in AP where a bear easily climbed up onto a textbook hung blue barrel and destroyed the barrel getting all the food I decided to look at other options.

I settled on a ursack designed to both prevent bear and rodents. I’ve read several posts on here and realize that people have different opinions about ursacks. I’m good with our decision to go to ursacks.

Here is the thing. Ursacks are designed not to be hung.

So my question is: Does AP actually require a hang (contrary to manufacturers guidelines)? Or it is just that food has to be stored properly?

I’m doing a few days this week in AP and wanted to check if anyone actually knows what the rule says?

Last edited by ChristineCanoes (7/30/2023 2:00 pm)

7/30/2023 9:11 pm  #2

Re: Storage Rules

To my understanding, the current regulation reads, "Do not maintain or store potential wildlife attractants, including food or beverages, food preparation or storage equipment, cooking devices or utensils, garbage or recycling products, scented products or any other item in a manner that is likely to attract wildlife."

I haven't seen official confirmation that Ursacks are formally approved in Algonquin Park. It seems logical that should Ursacks be formally approved, that fact would be widely communicated by the park.

In what appears to be the absence of such approval, I think it would be prudent to use the "two tree and raised pulley" system.

On a side-note, I'm noticing that many backcountry campsites' surrounding trees' lower branches are becoming worn out, shortened, or simply breaking-off over time .. requiring use of the "two tree" system. Unfortunately, the shortage of branch "stubs" can restrict even the "two tree" system. Perhaps its time that Ontario Parks examined alternative storage options for Algonquin Park .. such as permanent "inter-tree cables", campsite "vaults" or the approval of Ursacks.

7/31/2023 7:18 am  #3

Was their food packed away correctly and moved away from camp?  Or did they have everything spread out across a makeshift table? 

I can't imagine a warden ticketing for food stored correctly but not hung in the air.  Makes you wonder what attracted the warden to the site in the first place.

7/31/2023 8:48 am  #4

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the information. In the past I’ve put the ursack in a dry bag and hung it. I’ll probably just do that for this trip and contact the park.

Based on the regulations I would say a ursack stored according to manufacturers guidelines would meet the Park’s regulation but the fine based on food not being hung has me concerned that wardens may not see it that way.

For the record, if the park wanted to say that the only acceptable device is a bear vault I would be okay with that too. The reason I went with a ursack is it isn’t as cumbersome as a bear vault. I bought two 30 L bags. So I’m hoping Algonquin will provide an answer approving Ursacks tied to a tree.

As for the question of why the fine. My understanding is that it was on Opeongo. Opeongo has been having bear issues. The warden said they food wasn’t hung and they were off their site. So I think it may be as simple as the warden went onto an unoccupied site and saw food wasn’t hung. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I am a ruler follower. Even when rules don’t make sense to me I will follow them. I went to a ursack because I watched a video by an experienced Algonquin camper who had a perfect hang between 2 trees. The bear climbed onto the blue barrel. Got it out of the air. Tore the barrel apart and ate everything. From what I see once a bear associates blue barrels with food they can get to it if they want it in most cases so my hope is I use systems good enough to not attract a bear as I don’t want to be responsible for habituating an animal. No system is perfect but for me that was the tipping point in deciding that a ursack was a better option for me.

For now I’ll just double up by putting the ursack in a dry bag and hanging it.

Thanks for the info everyone

Last edited by ChristineCanoes (7/31/2023 9:33 am)

7/31/2023 10:59 am  #5

I know this won't work for everyone & on portage lakes, but specifically for easy to access lakes like Opeongo (which Christine mentioned is where the ticketing happened & where the Warden said there was a problem) what I use is a Interagency Certified Grizzly Bear Committee Certified Bear Resistant cooler. To be clear, products don't claim to be bear proof, but rather bear resistant, even products like Ursack & Bear Vault.

It's way more convenient to throw everything in the cooler, pop it open when you need something, & lock back the lid again. Even if you're on the site, I doubt people constantly re-hang any food/scented products due to hassle factor, but the bear proof cooler is easy to access & lock back up, so I figure it gives a higher level of safety due to ease of use, which means you use it.

Plus with bear proof cooler, you can also keep food frozen for a few days & cold, so you have more food options... And cold drinks...

Ultimately, whatever method you use to be effective, must obviously be used to be effective & at least for my use case on Opeongo I don't see anything more convenient & effective.

9/21/2023 9:09 am  #6

Blue barrel tied to the base of a tree within sight from my tent or hammock and be prepared to defend it. Your definition of "within sight" and "defend it" may differ from mine but the results are the same.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.