You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/10/2018 9:59 am  #1

Little Sec to Log Canoe

Has anyone ever tried to portage directly from Little Sec to Log Canoe? It seems like a pain to have to go out and back twice if you want to see both lakes.

10/10/2018 3:02 pm  #2

Re: Little Sec to Log Canoe

Been all around back there but never gone directly between them, would love to know what you find. The contour lines don't do that area justice; it's pretty craggy, probably should hike it first before attempting a portage....

I pulled something similar on Booth last year, went into Rumley from near Tattler cabin (instead of going back down Booth).  The way in was pretty brutal but taking another route on the way back I found an easier grade that would make bringing a canoe possible...

10/10/2018 8:33 pm  #3

I've never been in that area but my first resource for any bushwhacking/portaging adventure is https://www.ontario.ca/page/topographic-maps

On the below map you can clearly see a large logging road that runs down between the two lakes, without touching either lake. To me is seems you can make out some fainter tertiary roads that perhaps connect the two lakes. Specifically, if your eye follows the creek from the northeast corner of Little Sec, north and then east then southeast, it seems to connect to the big road. Then about 250 m south there seems to be another tertiary road leading to Log Canoe. Perhaps I'm just seeing things and there is nothing there! The road from Little Sec follows what seems to be the best contour line that I would build a road on if headed to Log Canoe. Does any one else see what I'm seeing???

10/11/2018 11:39 am  #4

I see what you're talking about...but it could be a small escarpment creating the definition in the treetop level.  Always worth a look on foot to see.

10/11/2018 4:20 pm  #5

I've seen features in images in the past that have turned out to be nothing, but I have a good feeling about this. Other times, I've seen overgrown roads when on foot, such as when I was on the Western Uplands Trail and you can't notice anything from the air.

10/11/2018 8:48 pm  #6

Well, weather permitting I’ve got a day trip planned to the area in a couple of weeks. I’ll see if it’s doable and report back. (I’m assuming I can still drive  to Sec Lake in late October, anyone know otherwise?)

10/15/2018 12:52 pm  #7

It's on the way to the east gate so should not be a problem in October.  I think someone else was talking of going there in November ... roads are really good  ...

10/16/2018 3:06 pm  #8

Yes, they are old logging roads, I've been on the one north of Little Sec, you can see them on the satellite pics because of the shadow contrast from the taller surrounding trees but if they're the same age as the other ones around that lake they'll be completely overgrown with smaller pines and bramble.  Looking at the ministry map, there's some spots as the road bends south of Log Canoe where the shadow dissipates and you can actually see what I'm talking about.  I use those "roads" only as a point of reference.....

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.