You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2018 2:38 pm  #1

Just some corridor Brookie fishing.

Headed up with one of my sons for a couple days of fishing in the park for Brooks. Zero bugs was a huge bonus and the days were a perfect temp, though the nights were still a tad cold. The fishing however was surprisingly good, we tried a few spots right along the corridor and most of them panned out with a few nice fish. The best one was near the west entrance and was a total surprise just screwing around not expecting to get a bite where we were. Here's one of our nice little river Brookies, released.Algo Brookie by Zen, on Flickr

5/17/2018 3:17 pm  #2

Re: Just some corridor Brookie fishing.

Beauty.

5/18/2018 9:43 pm  #3

beautiful shot.

8/14/2018 9:41 pm  #4

That’s a nice one!

I’ll be in the Huntsville area from Saturday the 18th until Thursday the 23rd. Any advice on where I could try my luck along the corridor in the Park? Won’t have my canoe this trip so will have to be near the road. Will have a 3 wt and 5 wt fly rod. Is the water cool enough to be looking for trout or should I be looking at bass?

Thanks

8/15/2018 6:45 am  #5

Hey Kevin,
Without a boat I'd honestly target bass.. the water is above 20 degrees now across the park in most places so the trout will be way down. There is a slight chance of getting lucky in the morning/evening if a few trout come up to feed but I wouldn't count on it.

8/15/2018 8:33 am  #6

I agree. Poppers with the fly will be a lot of fun.  I wouldn't bring the 3wt.

Consider renting a canoe from one of the Outfitters for the day. It would be a lot of fun, and would open a lot more possibilities.

Check Jeff's Maps for bass lakes.

8/15/2018 10:05 pm  #7

Rats! I was afraid you guys would say that. Had hoped the water up there would be cooler and I could try out the new 3 wt. Guess I’ll have to wait a bit to use it. I also have an old fiberglass 6 wt I may bring along with the 5 wt. Bass it will be. Decided to rack up the canoe too.

Thanks for the input.

5/27/2019 11:27 am  #8

The best time of year to catch trout in numbers, besides the May blackfly hatch, is peak summer when its hot. On medium - small lakes they are all piled into one location and are super easy to predict. There are a few ways to achieve accessing them and the one I use ive been doing for around 10 years after inheriting the rig from a grandfather. Id like to say more but I feel like the trout population benefits greatly from the fact that most people mistakenly think dead-summer heat is a bad time. I do think this method is hard on the trout so even catch and release should be done so in a limited fashion on small lakes especially.

Here is the old man with a deep-lined lake trout

Last edited by ryanmorin (5/27/2019 11:28 am)

5/27/2019 11:30 am  #9

Even in the summer heat:

5/27/2019 11:32 am  #10

And one more from a midsummers day:

That should be enough motivation for ya!

5/28/2019 1:23 pm  #11

Isn't bass closed right now?

I'm just gone Fishin!

5/28/2019 1:58 pm  #12

Correct - bass opens the last weekend of June so the 18th would be too early for bass fishing. 

5/31/2019 7:23 am  #13

RobW wrote:

Correct - bass opens the last weekend of June so the 18th would be too early for bass fishing. 

Just a "technical" correction to this, as this year is one of those anomaly years.
Bass opener is the 4th Saturday in June which is June 22nd this year (the second to last weekend in June this year).

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.