You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/11/2018 7:06 am  #18

Re: Sat Messengers taking some steps forward and more options

ShawnD wrote:

Combining the topics of 2 threads.

Another advantage of the garmin is if you go in when a fire ban is on but you end up getting a lot of rain it’s easy to text someone to check if the ban has been lifted.

Hrm - maybe I'll go pick up a Mini sooner than planned! Although there's not really enough rain in the forecast to get my hopes up, it would be nice to not have to wonder. 

7/11/2018 7:08 am  #19

Sean, that's a really good point about the fire ban.

In terms of messaging, I don't know if anyone follows David Lee on Facebook, but he had a miscommunication when posting during his trip - people got worried and then upset at him. What brave new world. 

https://www.facebook.com/ThePassionatePaddler/posts/2049255385116942

Mini is looking sooo tempting. Must... resist... (but I just bought a carbon paddle from Bending Branches... much more weight savings than old inReach --> mini... but sooo... tempting...)

Cheers
M

7/11/2018 7:38 am  #20

Hey Uppa. Ya getting info about the park is really one of the biggest advantages IMO. If I want/need to change my route I refuse to inconvenience anyone else with other reservations so it is also handy to text someone to check out the reservations on a given lake I’m not booked on. If it is late afternoon and no reservations are made , I don’t feel bad about changing plans.

Marko funny you say misunderstandings. I had one a couple of years ago. My wife and I were on Big Crow and had a very aggressive problem Moose near our site. I texted my Dad and between my texts of “ problem moose in the area “ and “ he seems to have moved off” the iridium network went down and he never got my second text. Also I didn’t get any of his repeated texts asking if we were ok.

So the next morning the park float plane landed on Little Crow as we were paddling out. My dad got worried and called the park.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

7/11/2018 1:08 pm  #21

Well, I now have an inReach mini. I'm looking forward to testing it out, starting Saturday!

7/11/2018 1:42 pm  #22

I've been really happy with the inReach.

There seem to have been some changes to the mechanics of the system such that messages aren't automatically showing up on the MapShare maps but I think that is just a matter of now having to explicitly copy the MapShare address on messages. Our inReach is out on a trip right now but should be home tonight for me to test it some more. In the meantime text and e-mail messages are coming through fine and include the latitude and longitude coordinates. It's just the link to the map that should show the position isn't working. 

7/11/2018 2:20 pm  #23

Uppa wrote:

Well, I now have an inReach mini. I'm looking forward to testing it out, starting Saturday!

I'm heading in on Friday at Kiosk.

Forecast says 10 mm Friday and 15 mm on Monday.. Unfortunately I don't think that will be enough to call off the ban but I will cross my fingers  .

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

7/11/2018 2:23 pm  #24

RobW wrote:

I've been really happy with the inReach.

There seem to have been some changes to the mechanics of the system such that messages aren't automatically showing up on the MapShare maps but I think that is just a matter of now having to explicitly copy the MapShare address on messages. Our inReach is out on a trip right now but should be home tonight for me to test it some more. In the meantime text and e-mail messages are coming through fine and include the latitude and longitude coordinates. It's just the link to the map that should show the position isn't working. 

There are checkbox options under the 'Accounts' tab that control what gets included automatically. But I'm not sure if you mean a link to your location within the message (which worked for me on my test message) or MapShare, which as far as I can tell is a different thing. The preset message I sent had 'mapshare' checked on. The message that got delivered included a link to a map that shows my location. But if I go to my MapShare URL (which is set to be public), no locations show up there. I'd call that a bug. 

7/11/2018 3:41 pm  #25

The options are checked and the link gets included in the messages but when you click the link and it goes to the map it gives an error that the message can't be found, with an occasional variation on my phone that says it hasn't arrived yet. Older messages and tracking points show up - which happen to be from prior to the Garmin purchase of Delorme. I had synced the device after reactivating a couple weeks ago. 

Once the device gets back home I'll trying copying the Mapshare address on a message and see if that does what I want. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.