You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/15/2017 5:20 pm  #18

Re: Where in Algonquin #208

Peek, that's a great guess, but it's not Urn Lake.  However, the feature in the photo is associated with the glacial history of Grand Lake.  (And BTW, I'll have to give Bob credit for most of the 'bad-ass' glacial history.)

Last edited by dcmcelroy (12/15/2017 5:22 pm)

12/15/2017 6:15 pm  #19

Is it Grand Lake?
[img]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ue1bmp.jpg[/IMG[/img]

12/15/2017 6:26 pm  #20

Oh Martin definitely nailed it! Sat Image says so ;p

12/15/2017 6:54 pm  #21

You've got it Martin, so you're up next. 
Peek, thanks for the excellent satellite photo - you can see exactly where I was standing when I took the photo.  It's one of the few places I can think of that you can do a portage and end up on the same lake. 
This geological feature is the Grand Lake Tombolo, as identified in the 1998 Algonquin Park Management Plan in the text but not on the map.  It is designated a Class II Special Management Area, but is also the site of a cottage lease (still occupied).  I'll leave it to you to look up what a tombolo is (Wikipedia will tell you).
And, bonus, it also appears in a Tom Thomson painting known as 'Spring Lake' or 'Rocks and Water'.  Here is a composite showing a section of the painting and a recent photo to match.  The sand spit was a lot cleaner in Thomson's day.

12/16/2017 10:12 am  #22

I have great memories from that little bay. When the kids were younger we would paddle from Achray to that bay in the evenings. The bay had a healthy population of Beavers, so there would be slapping tails all around the canoe. Kids couldn't get enough of it. Me neither!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.