You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/30/2017 12:11 pm  #1

Fall Lake Trout

Hey gang, my college buddies will be heading into the park for our anual algonquin trip.  We always do a spring trip and then a fall trip.  Our fall trip this year is september 22-25.
We are hoping to do some lake trout fishing but have never focused much on them there.
Any tips on the depth/structure we should focus on at that time of year?
Cheers!

8/31/2017 10:09 am  #2

Re: Fall Lake Trout

LT preferred temps will be about 9-11C if you're planning on trolling near shore... brook trout temps will be a little higher so if the water temps don't cool off sufficiently, BT might be a better bet.

I'd simple troll near shore, covering as much distance as possible, and if you do catch one there may be others in the same area. Good luck, I've seen some pretty nice BT caught near the end of the season.

8/31/2017 10:30 am  #3

i believe that lakers and specks will dart out of the preferred temperature ranges to feed in the early morning and evening.  top of the thermocline in algonquin lakes could be 40 foot range? some lakes are spring feed maybe keeping the fish shallower?  not sure?
    buck tails, jigging some times will work, with a salted dead minnow. 3/4 oz. jig head. match your line to the jig weight or the line will stretch causing  massive line twists.  cheap alternative to steel line units and lead core. 

8/31/2017 11:26 am  #4

Thanks very much for the responses guys!
I will use these tips for sure.

9/05/2017 4:22 pm  #5

I've had good luck with lakers trolling rapellas in blueish color ... not sure why but I know I'm not the only one to mention it. If you get one take note and cover the area a few times in case they are schooling a bit. 

Agree that brookies would be easier ... I tend to pick a diver that will go in the 8 foot range that's about 3 inches so that it will attract brookies or lakers. 

9/06/2017 6:36 am  #6

Dead_Weight (DW) wrote:

I've had good luck with lakers trolling rapellas in blueish color ... not sure why but I know I'm not the only one to mention it. If you get one take note and cover the area a few times in case they are schooling a bit. 

Agree that brookies would be easier ... I tend to pick a diver that will go in the 8 foot range that's about 3 inches so that it will attract brookies or lakers. 

Great advice!  Thanks!

9/06/2017 12:51 pm  #7

You could also try jigging while drifting with the wind with jigs or spoons with a piece of worm on the tip. Really anything that will get you deep - probably between 10 and 30 feet depending upon water temperatures.  It's easy to do that with a jig (deer hair, twister) as the wind gradually pushes you.  Wind speed will determine how much line you need to let out to be deep enough.  It's surprising how a little wind can move a canoe - adjust your speed with a few paddle strokes here or there to speed up or slow down.

We've found the best luck around steep drop-offs near shallower water (i.e. a point of land or island jutting out into deeper water).  The trout can hang deep but move up to shallower water briefly to feed around the shoal.

9/06/2017 2:15 pm  #8

I would love to do some jigging so thank you!  I will definitely use that advice 👍🏻

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.