You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/22/2017 3:29 am  #1

Anyone want to share a tent?

Well, I guess it was just a matter of time - they've been all around this summer. Corky got skunked a couple of hours ago when we were out for a late pee. I tied her outside on the balcony while I went to a 24hr Shoppers for some hydrogen peroxide. Two, actually. Apparently a bit of a run on the stuff and I bought them out of their stock. First time Corky's hopped into the tub without debating the subject first. Good thing we are both spending the next four days in the backcountry of Algonquin.

Dave

8/22/2017 5:59 am  #2

Re: Anyone want to share a tent?

Does hydrogen peroxide work well? My neighbour leaves his trash bins and compost bins outside and now resorts to live trapping his attracted unwelcome guests. Last week he had a skunk in the trap, so no I am afraid that my dog will chase after a visiting skunk and possibly need a similar peroxide treatment.

8/25/2017 5:53 pm  #3

crewser wrote:

Does hydrogen peroxide work well? My neighbour leaves his trash bins and compost bins outside and now resorts to live trapping his attracted unwelcome guests. Last week he had a skunk in the trap, so no I am afraid that my dog will chase after a visiting skunk and possibly need a similar peroxide treatment.

Yeah, it worked pretty well. Better than I feared. There was a faint smell noticeable over the course of the next 24 hrs but it seems to have dissipated. Luckily, it didn't get her in the eyes but seemed to hit her in the mouth and chest. Hopefully she has learned her lesson.

Here's the recipe for anyone who may need it.
http://m.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/de-skunking_dog.html

Dave

8/27/2017 6:29 am  #4

My dogs have been sprayed 3 times now.
The best shampoo to use is making your own using; the 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1 spoon of dawn dish soap, and an 1/8th of a cup of baking soda.  Mix that together and it works amazingly well.  After that buy a bottle of knock out from the pet store or walmart.  Spray them a couple times a day for a week or so. 
I have this so down pat the last time one of my pups got sprayed (3 weeks ago) the smell only lasted 3 days on him. 
Good luck with it and have fun on the trip!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.